Red Tail

six

Cool picture. That's the last thing a lot of prey see's. If your a squirrel, or a number of other small critters, if you see that you know you won't be here much longer.

spencer12

Once while deer hunting, I had a few deer milling about in front of me maybe 40-50yds or so. I was only moving my head ever so slightly looking left and right. Out of nowhere I had something hit me in the back of the head so hard I thought I’d been punched. It was a red tail hawk, he took my hat a good 15 yds before dropping it. It was unbelievable. I figured he thought I was a squirrel, but he nailed me. I don’t tell many people the story because I feel like it’s pretty unbelievable. But it happened and it hurt, I couldn’t imagine a small animal surviving the initial hit honestly.

furtaker

It amazes me how both hawks and owls can fly about 60mph through the woods and not hit a single twig. I love it when I see a shadow and every squirrel in the woods starts chattering. :bounce:

nmurph

It amazes me how both hawks and owls can fly about 60mph through the woods and not hit a single twig. I love it when I see a shadow and every squirrel in the woods starts chattering. :bounce:

I don't think they're nearly that fast in trees (RTH in a dive- yes-up to 200mph). Wood Ducks are 55-60mph... now there's a real acrobat.

rosewood

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
cool pic nic,

I was sitting at a red light one time. One dropped in near vertical on the bank next to me. The grass was kind of tall. He hit so hard a plume of dust came up out of the grass. He left with the rat.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Confession time. This is one of the very few trail camera pictures I`ve ever posted. I had it on the deer carcass to see what might show up. Also got shots of a whopper of a bobcat, brush wolves, and a couple of buzzards.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Great pic.

Thanks for sharing.

I love red tails.

Had a pair at the house that used to show up everytime I started a tractor to Bush hog.

Had a pair working in tandem at my farm once when hunting in a tree. The "flush" bird was sitting closeby in a tree screaming it's head off while it's partner was silently cruising nearby..... still hunting from tree to tree. The rabbit never knew #2 was there until it was too late.

Awesome birds.

Redbow

I saw a big hawk that I assumed was a Redtail near Bennettsville SC feeding on a dog that had been hit by a vehicle then ran into the field and died going home from work one day years ago. First hawk I ever saw feeding on a dog and have never seen that since.

stonecreek

Great pic. I seen a red tail grab a small cat a couple years ago and this past summer watch one grab a green snake out of the pine head in front of the house. That hawk flew straight up a country mile and dropped the snake then came back and got it.

rosewood

watch one grab a green snake out of the pine head in front of the house. That hawk flew straight up a country mile and dropped the snake then came back and got it.
That critter understands physics and that the snake can't fly. Maybe he don't have a tenderizer to use on the snake...