It ain't just lumber folks...

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
12/2 was $220 per 1,000' roll in October 2019. 18 months later it is $488.

488.png

limit.png

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The price increases are from a supply and demand issue and have little to do with inflation.

The layman's definition of Inflation is too much money chasing too few goods. Demand is being artificially manipulated by "too much money". You can call it what you want. What it is is inflation.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Supply and demand.

Getcha some $37 per sheet OSB.

This is this morning. It doesn't appear they have sold a sheet since I posted the pictures from Friday morning.

Still no gang boxes or 1,000' rolls of wire.

osb2.png

From Friday morning:

osb.png

furtaker

Supply and demand.

Getcha some $37 per sheet OSB.

This is this morning. It doesn't appear they have sold a sheet since I posted the pictures from Friday morning.

Still no gang boxes or 1,000' rolls of wire.

View attachment 1078474

From Friday morning:

View attachment 1078475
If people will stop paying these ridiculous prices, they'll have to go down.

If you gotta build a house right now, then you gotta build a house. But I don't see how in the world people can afford to build some of these monsters I'm seeing go up right now with the price of materials the way it is.

Maybe they can't afford it after all. We'll see.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
1,000' spool of 12/2 wire is now $537. It was $220. 18 months ago and $363. 4-5 weeks ago.

bullgator

What y’all complaining about?.....it says right there on the sign, “EVERYDAY LOW PRICE”. ::gone:

gopray12

1,000' spool of 12/2 wire is now $537. It was $220. 18 months ago and $363. 4-5 weeks ago.
Copper is in a legit super cycle. Overall, most say all commodities are in a super cycle but I don’t see that with lumber and the grains. Farmers planted fewer acres this year in corn and soybeans so that is the reason for those high prices which then bleeds into pretty much everything we use or eat so those prices have to go up. Lumber is a nightmare and personally I think the producers have rebuilt their inventory as seen by the photos but they are hedging their positions by selling futures and the speculators are keeping the price up. It will be another 10 years before copper comes back. Welcome to green infrastructure.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I just ordered(none in stock) another $537 spool of 12-2. Hopefully this will be the last spool the house needs.

3 spools of 12-2. 3 spools of 14-2, and three 250' rolls of 14-3. I've got to get all the other misc wire too.

That's a lot of wire to pull for one guy(me) that has never wired a house before. I hope it doesn't burn down.

ryanh487

Built a new work bench today. Kiln dried 8' 2x4's are nearly $8 a piece now. 3/4 sande ply that was $40 last year was $57.

madsam

I'll add to the coming terror.

My wife is in banking. Remember all the SBA and PPP loans " the government" was handing out all of last year? That's exactly what she handles at her bank. She spent a lot of days working from home until nearly midnight last year in the beginning of the pandemic.

Well those loans was actually the bank's money. The government has just now started paying the banks back...plus the incentives for their trouble. Her bank got their 1st reimbursement a couple weeks ago. She said the reimbursements were trickling in from the US Treasury. So we (The People) haven't seen or heard anything about that part yet. This money was not free. You can bet..."stuff" is coming...the .gov will get their money back.

Not only that...but remember the financial crisis we had in 2008? A LOT of banks got shut down by the FDIC because they were making bad mortgage loans and just general loans to people who had no business buying a home or stuff they couldn't afford in the first place. There's a bunch of these loan originators who found loop holes to basically do the exact same thing all over again.

This is history repeating itself. There was a building boom going on right before the crash happened 15 years ago...just like what's going on right now. Contractors are killing it right now building houses, just like they were then. People with subpar credit are getting approved for mortgages they can't afford...just like they were then.
Spot ON !!!

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
3 weeks ago I purchased a 1,000' roll of 12/2 for $363. Yesterday it was $464.

That roll of 12-2 went from $464 to $537 and today it is $560. That is in 8 days.

18 months ago it was $220.

A buddy of mine got a quote for a framing package on his new house. 3,000 square foot on a crawlspace and the quote was $107,000.

Without running the numbers, I'd guess that 1 year ago that would be a $30,000-35,000 framing package.

gopray12

It will take a deep recession before prices come back. Like I said before copper is the only thing I see that is in a super cycle. See the current copper futures I attached. Once it broke the yellow line I drew; it was bye bye to any lower prices for a longggg time.

Attachments

• F44D0F92-E5F5-4819-9A50-BADCF04DBC0D.jpeg
    F44D0F92-E5F5-4819-9A50-BADCF04DBC0D.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 39

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
If people will stop paying these ridiculous prices, they'll have to go down.

If you gotta build a house right now, then you gotta build a house. But I don't see how in the world people can afford to build some of these monsters I'm seeing go up right now with the price of materials the way it is.

Maybe they can't afford it after all. We'll see.

Yes and no. It equates to 'lesson my liability'. This also means more northerners/yanks moving south. That IMO hurts doubly bad.