Best Red dot for turkey guns

DynamicDennis

OK, I have Stoeger 12ga and a CZ over under in 20. Tired of breaking off the flimsy fiber optic sites and looking for a better solution. What is the best red dot to mount on a turkey gun?

turkeykirk

I’ve got two: Burris FF3 and SigSauer Romeo5. Like both but use the gun with the Romeo5 most.

ol bob

Any reddot is way better than not having one The older you get the better you will like it.

mike1225

I've used Dr Optic & Burris Fast Fire. Both on 12 gauge with no problems.

Ray357

AWOL
OK, I have Stoeger 12ga and a CZ over under in 20. Tired of breaking off the flimsy fiber optic sites and looking for a better solution. What is the best red dot to mount on a turkey gun?
Best? Trijicon, Aimpoint, or Eotech. Whether or not they worth the money on non life critical weapons would be a decision for you to make.
To me Holosun is about the price/quality point for a Turkey gun.

cowhornedspike

Anything with a battery will let you down eventually and probably at the worst possible time.
Trijicon RM04 uses no battery. Worth the difference in cost IMO,

six

Just finished my first season using a Holosun green dot. Love it. I prefer the green over the red. It has three reticles to choose from, I really like just the circle, but you can also use just a dot or a circle with a dot. Plus it has a built in solar charger so it will work with a dead battery or no battery as long as there is light. It may die next year and I'll tell you its junk. But based on my first experience with it I give it two thumbs up.

I also like my Vortex Venoms, but right now I prefer the Holosun.

LTFDretired

I have an early generation Bushnell Holo Sight on my Mossberg Ultimag 835 12GA shooting 3 ½” Hornady Mag shells. Works then, works now! ;)

Attachments

• 44442537-89D0-4C77-B71B-64C6F115E0BC.jpeg
    44442537-89D0-4C77-B71B-64C6F115E0BC.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 12

scottyd917

I have been using FF3 8 MOA for the past few seasons. I will be going to the 3 MOA before next season. Not crazy about the bigger dot in low light conditions. The only real negative I can come up with is the pollen on the glass can cause havoc looking through the sight. I learned real quick that it is imperative to keep the glass as clean and free of pollen as possible.

chrislibby88

If funding is not a major impediment, go with a Trijicon.

One notch down is the Burris Fastfire.

There are dozens in the $100 to $200 range, Primary Arms offers good ones at decent prices.
I shoot a trijicon 1.5x mini acog on my turkey gun. I can’t remember the model number. It’s perfect. Light, no batteries, mounts super low on the receiver, just enough magnification to find a birds head in some palmettos, but not too much. It’s still super fast like a red dot.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Does anyone have experience with aim tech 870 picatinny mounts? I put one on my 870, due to not finding someone that could drill, tap, and mount a picatinny rail, and was wondering if anyone had any problems with it making the red dot lose it’s zero with turkey shells.

Just finished my first season using a Holosun green dot. Love it. I prefer the green over the red. It has three reticles to choose from, I really like just the circle, but you can also use just a dot or a circle with a dot. Plus it has a built in solar charger so it will work with a dead battery or no battery as long as there is light. It may die next year and I'll tell you its junk. But based on my first experience with it I give it two thumbs up.

I also like my Vortex Venoms, but right now I prefer the Holosun.

Which model? The holosun has caught my eye. Many of the AR and three gun shooters talk them up as best bang for the buck red dots.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Over the past quarter century I've used Aimpoint, Trijicon Reflex (first generation), Docter and Burris FFIII. All did the job intended; differences were in size and weight. As for batteries running out at the worst time, I change the battery in the FFIII's every other year and I don't expect that to happen. For size and money, the FFIII works fine for me. I will be content using it the rest of my turkey career. Burris's guarantee is for life. The worst flaw, if that can be considered a flaw, is that the FFIII is vulnerable to rain drops on the LED emitter which will "blob" the image. The rain shield/cover supplied with the unit can eliminate that problem. The old Trijicons were immune to that problem as the design made it improbable to occur and the tritium lamp works without batteries and when its glow is gone, the fiber optic dot illumination takes over. I have seen good reviews of the Holosun but despite its features, they are not enough to move me from what I use. I have had satisfactory performance with a Skinner Peep and Marble post on another gun and it will be fine except with extreme low light issues which prompted me to shift from rifle sights to red dot 25 seasons ago. I am currently rigging another gun with the Skinner/Marble combo. Gil

Last edited:

Sixes

I've used a Burris FF3 for the last several years, but I picked up a green Holosun to try out. One of them will get the nod for my Benelli and the other will end up on an AR

I've had 0 issues with the FF3, but wanted to try something different and the reviews on the Holosun are great

six

Which model? The holosun has caught my eye. Many of the AR and three gun shooters talk them up as best bang for the buck red dots.
Mine is a HE507C-GR-V2