Walleye stocking working, smallmouth stocking not on Blue Ridge Lake

lampern

Blue Ridge Lake Sampling Report
: (From Fisheries Biologist John Damer) —Our DNR sampling crew was hard at work this week setting and pulling gillnets on Blue Ridge Lake, and we were very pleased with what we found. We captured a new record high number of walleye, which indicates our walleye stocking efforts are working! The Blue Ridge walleye fishery used to be self-sustained through natural reproduction, but the illegal introduction of blueback herring by anglers severely impacted the walleye population’s ability to spawn naturally, and walleye numbers were steadily declining. We began stocking walleye in 2017 in order to combat the effects of the herring, and numbers have been on the rise ever since. We captured good numbers of walleye in each of the ten nets we set this week but numbers were highest in Star Creek, mid-lake near the islands, and all the way up river near Persimmon Creek. The vast majority of the fish were in the 2-4 pound range, but we also saw a few smaller fish which is good news for the future. We also saw lots of spotted bass up to 3 pounds and record numbers of channel cats up to 6 pounds. Generally, all the fish caught looked to be in great condition and appeared to have been eating well, probably on bluebacks. We saw a few bait balls on the depthfinder during sampling that looked massive. Herring-imitating baits or live bluebacks are surely the way to go if you are looking to target any of these larger predatory game species.

CamoClad

I hope our state continues with the walleye stocking program. It has been a nice addition to the fisheries up in the mountains. It is a shame that the natural reproduction was halted by the introduction of the bluebacks, they are a scourge to most of the far north lakes.

It would be awesome if we had an opportunity to fish smallmouth and musky (with a stable population) though it seems unlikely at this point. Tennessee has done well with their walleye stocking program and musky program, I hope that our walleye populations can grow like theirs have.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
What do we know? You only covered this in 2017 and it was laughed out.

Smallies will never make a come back. PERIOD! You've posted a few other threads on it as well since 2017.

That fishery is long gone. You'll catch some but not like it use to be.

https://forum.gon.com/threads/smallmouth-stocking-at-blue-ridge.895174/

Sorry but I've got to ask, have you ever been to Blue Ridge?

ghadarits

I
I hope our state continues with the walleye stocking program. It has been a nice addition to the fisheries up in the mountains. It is a shame that the natural reproduction was halted by the introduction of the bluebacks, they are a scourge to most of the far north lakes.

It would be awesome if we had an opportunity to fish smallmouth and musky (with a stable population) though it seems unlikely at this point. Tennessee has done well with their walleye stocking program and musky program, I hope that our walleye populations can grow like theirs have.
I'm 56 and have been catching Walleyes in GA from Hartwell as long as I can remember.

lampern

According to the latest DNR fishing report they sampled smallmouth in the river below the lake though:

We also captured several gorgeous Smallmouth Bass. Technician Leon Brotherton holds a beautiful 2.5 lb, 17” Smallie.

ErikD

As a thought how would muskie alter blueback populations? I am sure someone has thought of this but if it cold reel in the bluebacks and sustain sallies that would be an epic win for mountain lakes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

There is some good musky fishing in NC, too. Most of our lakes were great walleye fisheries too, until the idiots started dumping bluebacks and spots in them. It's about ruined a lot of lakes that used to be excellent smallmouth, walleye, and white bass fisheries.

lampern

At Lake James in NC the walleye are growing bigger than pre bluebacks when they naturally reproduced.

Similar to Blue Ridge Lake, which also had natural reproduction apparently

I'd still rather have naturally reproducing walleye, even if smaller

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
At Lake James in NC the walleye are growing bigger than pre bluebacks when they naturally reproduced.

Similar to Blue Ridge Lake, which also had natural reproduction apparently

I'd still rather have naturally reproducing walleye, even if smaller
Yep. Fontana has always had good naturally reproducing walleye that were naturally in the river when they built the dam. Some idiot done dumped bluebacks and spots in there now. The smallmouth, white bass, and walleye will not like it.

CamoClad

I

I'm 56 and have been catching Walleyes in GA from Hartwell as long as I can remember.

Yes there are walleye in Hartwell, though it is a pretty large body of water and there are only a few times a year where you can reasonable expect to catch them up in the river/creek arms. Back in the 80's you could catch limits from the shore in the Tugaloo River / Walker Creek area, but now, its rare to catch one or two when you specifically target walleye, and often they are a by-catch when fishing other species. Just out of curiosity, when is the last time you caught a full limit of 8 walleye on Hartwell? I am not disputing they are in Hartwell, though I think the real promise for walleye fishing (numbers, size, predictability) is in the Ga Power lakes above Hartwell that are stocked through the current program.

CamoClad

There is some good musky fishing in NC, too. Most of our lakes were great walleye fisheries too, until the idiots started dumping bluebacks and spots in them. It's about ruined a lot of lakes that used to be excellent smallmouth, walleye, and white bass fisheries.

For sure, NC does have some excellent walleye fisheries. I agree about the blueback and spots, those decisions by a few individuals have really harmed a lot of fisheries across the region.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
As a thought how would muskie alter blueback populations? I am sure someone has thought of this but if it cold reel in the bluebacks and sustain sallies that would be an epic win for mountain lakes.

If stripers and hybrids can barely keep them in check, I highly doubt musky would make a dent.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes there are walleye in Hartwell, though it is a pretty large body of water and there are only a few times a year where you can reasonable expect to catch them up in the river/creek arms. Back in the 80's you could catch limits from the shore in the Tugaloo River / Walker Creek area, but now, its rare to catch one or two when you specifically target walleye, and often they are a by-catch when fishing other species. Just out of curiosity, when is the last time you caught a full limit of 8 walleye on Hartwell? I am not disputing they are in Hartwell, though I think the real promise for walleye fishing (numbers, size, predictability) is in the Ga Power lakes above Hartwell that are stocked through the current program.
That is about how I would define a good walleye fishery-that you can go out and reasonably expect to limit out if you halfway know what you were doing. Fontana used to be like that-two man limits about any night from late spring to fall, and maybe deep jigging in the winter, in addition to the spawning run.

ghadarits

I’ve never targeted them specifically but they’re a common by catch around the green lights. They love small swim baits. As far as spotted bass (not Bartram) go they’ve been in Hartwell as long as I can remember and theres always been bluebacks I don’t think they were introduced. I think they were trapped by the damming of the Savannah river but I could be wrong on that. I do not think that I could ever count on catching 8 in one day. My best night I might have caught 5 and that was note worthy night.

Attachments

• 399B8782-46D0-4F79-AF73-EC21BB32BD17.jpeg
    399B8782-46D0-4F79-AF73-EC21BB32BD17.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

CamoClad

That is about how I would define a good walleye fishery-that you can go out and reasonably expect to limit out if you halfway know what you were doing. Fontana used to be like that-two man limits about any night from late spring to fall, and maybe deep jigging in the winter, in addition to the spawning run.
It’s a shame that isn’t the case any more at Fontana. It is a beautiful place to fish. I think Dale Hollow in TN is about as close as we can get in the SE for a current comparison. There are a lot of walleye caught at night in the summer and some big ones this time of year on the jigs.

If I can make it 5-6 more years I am going to retire and make a big lap from Georgia to Tennessee, up to Minnesota, further to NW Ontario, back through Wisconsin, maybe a stop or two on the Mississippi, hit some smaller lakes in NC and back to Georgia. One can dream! Ha!

ghadarits

I’ve never targeted them specifically but they’re a common by catch around the green lights. They love small swim baits. As far as spotted bass (not Bartram) go they’ve been in Hartwell as long as I can remember and theres always been bluebacks I don’t think they were introduced. I think they were trapped by the damming of the Savannah river but I could be wrong on that. I do not think that I could ever count on catching 8 in one day. My best night I might have caught 5 and that was note worthy night.
Very timely cooperation from Mr Walleye this afternoon. It fell victim to a pointer 98 in Aurora Blue.

Attachments

• 8F3482B7-4D55-4F47-9453-DFC5D91C6202.jpeg
    8F3482B7-4D55-4F47-9453-DFC5D91C6202.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 48