Talk me out of a recurve

menhadenman

I started bow hunting maybe in the early 90s (pretty sure it was a Martin... I even saved up and bought that Keller pendulum sight whenever that came out). We had long bows at the FFA but kid stuff. But with my Martin, I was a solid shot with my 125 Muzzy and Game Getters.

Bounced around the country for a few years and found myself with a Browning (Ambush?). Still shot aluminum and finger tabs probably past their time, only killed a few deer. And never a mule deer or elk after living out west working on rivers. To be fair I didn’t really use it with 3 kids in 4 years.

Now I’m back home in whitetail country and like the idea of a recurve. I would probably shoot inside of 25 yds at my mountain property and more into the pleasure of sitting in the woods. Plus I have kids that love to shoot bows and guns.

A buddy has a pro shop out west, shoots professionally, all the latest and greatest. I half like the idea of the technology but also dread getting away from our roots. I need to get back into archery and floundering between a compound and a more traditional approach. I’m 6-3 and 220 lbs if that matters.

Any advice would be appreciated. I used to cut arrows and outfit guys in the 90s but way out of the game after running hard for the wife and kids all over hither and yon.

Bowyer29

I started bow hunting maybe in the early 90s (pretty sure it was a Martin... I even saved up and bought that Keller pendulum sight whenever that came out). We had long bows at the FFA but kid stuff. But with my Martin, I was a solid shot with my 125 Muzzy and Game Getters.

Bounced around the country for a few years and found myself with a Browning (Ambush?). Still shot aluminum and finger tabs probably past their time, only killed a few deer. And never a mule deer or elk after living out west working on rivers. To be fair I didn’t really use it with 3 kids in 4 years.

Now I’m back home in whitetail country and like the idea of a recurve. I would probably shoot inside of 25 yds at my mountain property and more into the pleasure of sitting in the woods. Plus I have kids that love to shoot bows and guns.

A buddy has a pro shop out west, shoots professionally, all the latest and greatest. I half like the idea of the technology but also dread getting away from our roots. I need to get back into archery and floundering between a compound and a more traditional approach. I’m 6-3 and 220 lbs if that matters.

Any advice would be appreciated. I used to cut arrows and outfit guys in the 90s but way out of the game after running hard for the wife and kids all over hither and yon.
No way. Do it. Shoot both.

menhadenman

Forgot to mention that I sold my compound setup a few years back and completely bow-less right now. Plenty of rifles and smoke poles but nothing with arrows. So the question really is should I choose the recurve over a compound?

Fatboy

You should come to the NGTA shoot tomorrow. It's in Gainesville and it's all traditional bows. They even have loaner bows for you to try out. Look in the trad archery forum here on GON for the details

menhadenman

Man that’s be great and not too far a drive but I’m tied up this weekend. I’ll page through that other forum to see what they’re saying on traditional stuff.

deast1988

You shoot a recurve, makes the compound a sniper rifle.
It took me a solid year of shooting multiple days a week to build a 20yd bubble to hunt with a tradbow.

I’ve taken deer with longbows/recurves now, and it really makes you respect the weapon and the guys that use it solely.

It’s fun, you get to watch a pile of deer waiting for one to break your bubble but it’s super rewarding.

Dennis

Get a ILF riser so you can use different limbs as you progress or just decide to change. Contact Lancaster Archery they can leed you in the right direction or call Big Jim Archery he can help you too

Dennis

The TBG shoot in Ranger Ga would be a good one to go to. lots of nice people snd lots of different bows to check out. March 26 i think

bowhunterdavid

I shot a compound for years and got burned out with all technology gadgets they come out with every year, and to ME a high end compound is a short range deer rifle now a days. Making the move to traditional archery is the best move i ever made. I feel like a kid hunting again. I also became a member of the Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia and i have met some of the best hunters in the south. It's not how far you can shoot a animal, but how close you can get to them. Give it a try you won't regret it.

menhadenman

I shot a compound for years and got burned out with all technology gadgets they come out with every year, and to ME a high end compound is a short range deer rifle now a days. Making the move to traditional archery is the best move i ever made. I feel like a kid hunting again. I also became a member of the Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia and i have met some of the best hunters in the south. It's not how far you can shoot a animal, but how close you can get to them. Give it a try you won't regret it.
That's how I've been feeling after seeing all the gizmos that have come out since the early 1990s when I first got into archery (and long before kids). Seeing guys with $2k bows take 60 yard shots isn't nearly as impressive as a guy getting it done with a stick bow at 15 yds. I'm going to grab one and get to practicing this summer. Not to mention my NC property in Clay Co. has limited harvest opportunities with rifles.

The Fever

dont do it

Ga Waters

Go traditional and don't look back. Love those recurves and self bows.