Toughest year personally, but best hunting(2 big public land bucks down)

DMCox

It's been a few years since I've posted here, this one is long but I hope it is worthwhile.

2022 has been the worst year I've ever had in my 35 years. Started off with losing one of my grandmothers Jan 1, followed by finding out my wife was pregnant a few days later only to have to have emergency surgery due to it being an ectopic pregnancy. Shortly after that recovery she needed another surgery with another 6 week recovery. Come June we finally started back into some sense of normalcy and had a few weeks to enjoy being on the lake with the kids. Early July I got a call from my mom that my dad had unexpectedly passed away. Ended up back in my hometown for almost a month trying to help my mom figure things out and plan a funeral. At that point I was probably at the lowest point I've ever been at. Losing my dad was losing one of my best friends, my mentor, and a person I spoke to nearly every day about everything. He taught me to hunt and fish, taught me how to put the Lord first and then everything else will fall in line. He was one of the best men I've known. He instilled in me a love of nature, family, and friends as well as showed me how to put others first. Made it back home to North Georgia to try to whip our farm back into shape and figure out how to move forward. About a month later my other grandmother(dads mom) passed away as well. Went back for another funeral and hoped and prayed this would be the end of 2022's hardships(so far it has been with a few weeks left to go in 2022).

Fast forward to hunting season and I just wasn't able to bring myself to go to the woods. I missed opening of Bow and Rifle season for the first time in 15 years. I just knew going to the woods without my dad was going to be really tough. Finally I brought myself to head out to a stand behind my house and spent that whole hunt speaking with the Lord, expressing my anger and frustration at what had happened, but also gratitude for the time I had with my dad and my wonderful family and friends I have surrounding me. Didn't see a deer and that was ok.

I've been saving priority points for 9 years for state park and quota hunts so I had put in for `both this year. I had hoped to bring home a couple deer for the freezer as venison is the only red meat our family eats. The week before Thanksgiving I pushed through and went on my hunt in west GA even though hurricane Nicole was forecast to hit the 2nd day of the hunt. I made it through safe and dry in my hammock and went out to hunt the day after the storm and was able to take my largest buck till then(pictures 1 & 2 below). He was chasing a doe and I was able to get a shot off while he was on the run. I honestly thought I missed, but was pleasantly surprised he'd dropped in his tracks. 2.5 weeks later I went on my state park hunt and was able to scout for an hour prior to the hunt safety meeting. Found some really fresh scat and rubs, but again thought most likely I'd get a couple does as this was a management hunt. The next morning I was up early and making the 3/4 mile trek back to the spot I'd scouted. I was up in a tree about an hour before light and spent that time praying and reading my bible on my phone. Sun started to come up and I realized I'd climbed a mostly dead pine tree... I gave myself 30 minutes and I was getting down to move trees. Well 25 minutes later I hear something walking through the woods and turn and see a doe. Couldn't get my gun turned around as this was the opposite direction I expected the deer to move. Right behind her was a good buck. They both made it through my shooting lane and I figured I'd missed my opportunity. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the buck turned around and came back, but he did and I was able to take a left handed shot(I'm a righty). When I got down and was able to get a good look he turned out to be a really nice 9 point, my new largest buck. After about 2 hours of hauling gear out of the woods and dragging the buck out DRN aged him at 6.5 years (pictures 3 & 4 below). I've mainly hunted public land and to get 2 great bucks like this in one year has been an amazing experience.

It's been a tough year, but I've been beyond blessed with the best hunting of my life. I am thankful for the healing of time, the power of prayer, and the beauty of creation. I thank God for each day with my loved ones and I thank him for these 2 deer this year.

image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

DMCox

Thank you for sharing your story.
Even when we are surrounded by tragedy, God's grace & mercy is boundless.
- AMEN, yes it is!

Sorry for your losses, congratulations on your bucks!
- Thank you!

Life sends us challenges we can't understand. We either bounce or splatter. You bounced.

Congrats on some great bucks !!!
- Splattering definitely wasn't an option, bouncing wasn't fun. And thank you!

DMCox

Thank you for sharing your story. Thank you Lord for peace, comfort and all your blessings!
Congratulations on two fine bucks! The second one, mercy! What a buck!
Amen! Thank you. The state park guys were saying this is one of the biggest they've seen in recent years. Bases measured just over 4.5". I've never scored a deer(never really cared), but this one's going to the taxidermist and I'm gonna ask.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I enjoyed reading how you found the way to keep pressing forward even when life was difficult and relentless! I lost my mother on January 13 this year. Just a couple days before her birthday. I still struggle with not being able to call her or go see her.
Congratulations on some nice bucks! You made your Dad proud I’m sure of it!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I am sorry for your loss and happy for your hunting successes this year. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It brings home for all of us that life entails both joy and sadness. Your words assure me that you are in a good place to deal with all of it and I suspect that your Dad and Grandmothers each took a hand in preparing you for life.

Back40hunter

Congratulations on two great bucks. It is a blessing to be counted when we get to take mature animals like that. Such success helps buffer those other challenging things in life. For those of faith we have to remind ourselves that it rains on the just and unjust. That’s hard to take, especially in our own strength, but for a Christian we have the assurance that we have a source of strength to rely on to get us through these. Blessings on you and your family.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Tough year for sure ! Deer or not , time in the woods talking to God does wonders , congrats on the beautiful bucks and may the rest of the year be joyful !

Otisman

You are obviously well grounded. You have it figured out. On the deer side….. HOLY COW! You upgraded from a good deer to a GENUINE STUD really quick! Way to go.

bany

My condolences. I’d say your father was spending some time with you in the woods this season.
And, I’d say our father took some of the sting out of a tough year. Nice bucks.