Pickled eggs

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
With a yard full of hens and an abundance of eggs, I've pickled several dozen lately. I've never refrigerated pickled eggs, but everything I read about it says to refrigerate them. Do y'all leave yours out or put 'em in the icebox?

Duff

I leave them out

Big7

The Oracle
Salty brine and white vinegar will keep them if you can them with the liquid, jars and lids hot and the lid vacuums down. That is completely safe.

I would refrigerate them once the vacuum is broken unless you going to eat them in a few days.

I do like to eat mine cold from the fridge or ice chest. Room temp will work tho. ?

Redbow

I refrigerate mine but I have left them out for months and never suffered any ill effects from eating them. I read where pickled eggs are good for about 2 months after being pickled but I have kept and eaten them much longer than that.

cjones

I am leery of leaving them out. My wife wanted to try pickled eggs a couple weeks ago, which I had never done, so I did some reading up on it. Apparently, the brine doesn't fully penetrate the interior of the egg, so it never displaces the natural enzymes and any remnant bacteria in the internal portions of the egg which is how regular 'pickling' is able to preserve foods - the acidic + salty brine displaces natural liquid in the food, making it impossible for bacteria to grow. From what I read (from UGA food preservation website: https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_eggs.html), because the brine doesn't fully penetrate, it doesn't make the eggs 'shelf stable'.

We did one quart jar on a whim with some leftover bread-n-butter brine. After about 10 days in the brine, I had my first one night before last and the turmeric in the brine made it easy to see how far the brine penetrated - I would say MAYBE 1/16" deep into the whites of the eggs - nowhere near full penetration.

Just throwing it out there as a differing opinion (worth everything you paid for it). I know I see them out on shelves all the time, so know it's not uncommon to leave them unrefrigerated.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Never pickled any. I've tried them from country stores. They and pickled pig feet have never been my thing.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
We made some and refrigerated them. Also put a little beet juice in the brine to made em purdy.

Doug B.

I make them all the time. I leave them out unless they make it longer than a couple of weeks. Then I put them in the refrigerator.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I may try that.
Had a co worker that used to put a jalapeno slice on each egg, Too hot for me but a banana pepper slice is good. As is the pickled Vidalia onions.

I have some vidalia vinaigrette that I am wanting to try a little bit in some.

Toss some bacon bits on top, did that last week, lorty...24 were gone in no time

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Da plain, da plain

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never pickled any. I've tried them from country stores. They and pickled pig feet have never been my thing.
:cheers:

There are too many good things on this planet to eat, to go around eating pickled eggs and pig feets.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Pickled quail eggs in some pepper sauce are good. Them pig foots ain’t bad. Real salty.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pickled quail eggs in some pepper sauce are good. Them pig foots ain’t bad. Real salty.
Fresh fried quail eggs sunny side up are delicious.