Walleye stocking working, smallmouth stocking not on Blue Ridge Lake

pantherdev

Yep. Fontana has always had good naturally reproducing walleye that were naturally in the river when they built the dam. Some idiot done dumped bluebacks and spots in there now. The smallmouth, white bass, and walleye will not like it.
The walleye disappeared around 2012. One year we were catching 'em and then near 0 when trolling or using jigs. Just spots now mostly. Sold my lake cabin because of it. But I am now within 2 miles of B Ridge lake and getting too old to go alone.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What impacted the smallmouth population on BRL?
Illegally stocked spots. The same thing that has ruined fishing all over the southeast. Idiots stock spots and bluebacks. The spots drive the smallmouth and shoalies and such out of existence, and the bluebacks do the same to walleye and white bass.

lampern

2022 update

Anglers from around the state travel to Blue Ridge for a chance to catch a Georgia smallmouth to complete their Bass Slam.

Why smallmouth are still stocked into the lake

Over the past six years, Blue Ridge has received more than 280,000 smallmouth. Hatcheries will continue to raise smallmouth for stocking the lake in 2022. WRD lake monitoring data has yet to show a significant increase in smallmouth numbers, but some anglers have noticed more small (10-12") smallmouth suggesting some of the stocked fingerlings are surviving and starting to recruit to the fishery.

GTMODawg

BANNED
As a thought how would muskie alter blueback populations? I am sure someone has thought of this but if it cold reel in the bluebacks and sustain sallies that would be an epic win for mountain lakes.

I am curious if there has ever been any talk of stocking Tiger Musky in those lakes? They are a sterile version of a regular musky and get HUGE quick. They can be stocked in Kentucky and Virginia, I wouldn't think Blue Ridge for example would be much warmer in the summer than either. They are a BLAST to catch....I caught them in New Mexico, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. Never caught a monster...the biggest was about 10 pounds....but they were thick at times and there were monsters present, to 40 pounds. I was told that the blue gill and crappie populations in most of the lakes they were in in the PNW had improved in quality by massive amounts almost immediately upon their stocking....they would probably grow to 100 pounds on herring LOL.

GTMODawg

BANNED
It’s a shame that isn’t the case any more at Fontana. It is a beautiful place to fish. I think Dale Hollow in TN is about as close as we can get in the SE for a current comparison. There are a lot of walleye caught at night in the summer and some big ones this time of year on the jigs.

If I can make it 5-6 more years I am going to retire and make a big lap from Georgia to Tennessee, up to Minnesota, further to NW Ontario, back through Wisconsin, maybe a stop or two on the Mississippi, hit some smaller lakes in NC and back to Georgia. One can dream! Ha!

As long as your dreaming take a look at the SE corner of Washington State on the Columbia River in early spring. They catch LOADS of HUGE Walleye in that area....such that folks from Canada make the trip like folks from Georgia going to Florida to Bass Fish for big uns in February. Lots of guides in the area. The walleye get HUGE on salmon smelt and salmon are sacred in the PNW....you can't look at one without getting arrested....so walleye fishing is HIGHLY encouraged.

There is also an excellent small mouth fishery in that area just after the walleye are jumping in the boat and it lasts all Summer. They apparently breed like fleas in the river and do a number on the salmon smelt also. Folks in the area will look down their noses at you for targeting them but who cares what a bunch of people who spend $100K for an aluminum boat so they can fish stink bait (the bait of choice for salmon) to catch a fish they will get arrested for if they lift it too far out of the water to release it think.

Salmon are the most over rated sport fish ever in my experience....nothing but yankee blue cats that can't adapt and are doomed to extinction in the wild.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Muskies were stocked into the lake in the 1930s and long since died out

Tiger Muskies are a hyrbid of Northern Pike and Muskies. Pike are heartier than muskies and can tolerate warmer water and lower oxygen levels. Muskie are similar to trout in their required oxygen levels. Tiger Muskies thrive in lakes in New Mexico where summer time water temps approach those in North Georgia lakes and many of those lakes in New Mexico are far more sterile (less oxygen) than the rich lakes in North Georgia. I would bet it has been studied but just curious....

NWS

Tiger Muskies are a hyrbid of Northern Pike and Muskies. Pike are heartier than muskies and can tolerate warmer water and lower oxygen levels. Muskie are similar to trout in their required oxygen levels. Tiger Muskies thrive in lakes in New Mexico where summer time water temps approach those in North Georgia lakes and many of those lakes in New Mexico are far more sterile (less oxygen) than the rich lakes in North Georgia. I would bet it has been studied but just curious....
Other way around...Northern Pike can tolerate lower O2 levels than muskies but much prefer Colder Waters than Muskies. Northerns can tolerate warmer waters but thrive in COLD Northern Waters. That is why you see Northerns all the way to and above the Arctic Circle way up north. The Musky range only goes as far north as Southern areas in Canada.

Last edited:

NWS

I fish for meat,and I've always heard walleyes are very good eating.

Looks like you really have to know how/where to find 'em.
Walleyes and closely related yellow perch are some of the best you can ever eat. Walleyes were also designed perfectly for filleting. Crappies and bream/bluegills are just about as good. Walleyes can be very finicky. They are most easily caught in the spring and then also in the fall when they start to school up on deep structure. During the hot summer months they go deep and most of the time you couldn’t pry them off the bottom with a crowbar.

lampern

Guides not seeing many smallmouth

LAKE BLUE RIDGE (courtesy of GON Fishing reports): Level: Full. Temp: 80-85 degrees. Clarity: Clear.
Bass:
Guide Eric Crowley of Lake and Stream Guide Service reports, “I haven’t seen any more smallies, but the spotted bass are finally chowing down after a late spawn

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

lampern

Smallmouth Stocking: Lake Blue Ridge was stocked with 3,812 smallmouth bass produced at the Go Fish Education Center. The fish averaged 5-inches in length and were freeze branded with a distinct marking for future identification. The fish were stocked by boat in quality shoreline habitat around the lake. This stocking is part of an ongoing effort to restore the formerly renown Lake Blue Ridge smallmouth fishery that has been decimated in recent years by the introduction of spotted bass.

vaindioux

There is some good musky fishing in NC, too. Most of our lakes were great walleye fisheries too, until the idiots started dumping bluebacks and spots in them. It's about ruined a lot of lakes that used to be excellent smallmouth, walleye, and white bass fisheries.
What do the bluebacks do that affect the walleyes?

Thxs