HEAD TO HEAD CARTRIDGE COMPARISON.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah but is that really much "better" in practicality?

The old school line of thought was to get a bullet moving as fast as possible in a straight line. This is for 2 main reasons in the long range world anyway, one is if you double the velocity, the energy quadruples so there's where the energy comes form with light or "normal" weight for caliber cartridges. Two, until fairly recently considering how long metallic cartridges have been around, exact range was hard to determine in the hunting woods or on a battlefield. As straight as possible line of trajectory was very important when estimating, err... "guessing" range. A few inches of drop mean a LOT between a hit and a miss.

The trend today is based on knowing EXACT distance, knowing EXACT velocity, doing complex formulas (dope) having precision optics that are capable of turning in extremely precise "clicks".

Then you have myriad scope reticles with dizzying formulas and all that other good stuff that makes it so much FUN.
:rofl:
I'll take heavy over fast all day long and three times on Sunday. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's better for throwing the heavier bullets and usually has a different twist rate for that reason.
:cool:
A .300 WM is even better at that. Or a .45/70. :)

Big7

The Oracle
Over the years, I've become much more of a fan of the 30/30 for its price, availability, and effectiveness inside of the range of the woods I tend to hunt in.
Been checking out some places after going to the range today.

Ima' be shooting my Marlin mostly this year on thick public land.

I only got permission to hunt one piece of property where I can stretch out one of the boomers.

Big7

The Oracle
I have a Howa chambered in the Swede. It's probably the most accurate hunting rifle I own. The 6.5x55 was killing stuff long before the 260 and Man Bun came along.
Elk, Moose and Red Stag all over Europe and Scandinavia steadily since 1894 and still going strong. So are just about every other Mauser cartridge ever devised. Bad to the bone.

Big7

The Oracle
Backfire has a ton of cartridge specific data etc too. Really great info
Jim surprisingly only bow hunted until he was an adult. He has a good website in addition to his YouTube channel. He does some stuff on the website he can't get away with on YouTube because of community standards.

Big7

The Oracle
I'm a rifle nut ,own more than i'll ever need . Got two 260's in the last yr . Enjoying tinkering with different loads . My two grand boys will be well armed.
Same with my Nephews.
I don't have any children and my Step- Granddaughters will get money.

earlthegoat2

When I was looking for a factory take off Savage barrel in 7mm Mag I found one in 7mm PRC first so I bought it.

That’s how I decided between the two. Plus I am quite certain Hornady ELD-X will shoot perfect in it since it does in every other PRC I have read a review on.

Darkhorse

If you have a 7mag is there really a need for a 7mmPRC? Let me be concise....
Of course there is.
Obviously there really isn't.
To put it another way if the 7 PRC had of made it's debut with the M700 then I would have one now.
I'm just an older hunter who doesn't use rangefinders, I use windage instead. So a faster bullet has it's uses. That's why I bought a 300 Winchester Magnum and it has served me well for several long shots both in Ga. and the west, even though the trajectory isn't much better than the 7mag.
Another factor is I just like 7 mm bullets. So maybe I'll get one yet.
It might be time to treat myself to a new fangled cartridge after all.

SC Hunter

I still have it...need to get back on load development. I did give up on working with 140gr ABLR bullets. Not many places to shoot across the pivot.:huh:
My buddy has a 26 nosler and has some ABLR he put together. We were sitting on a clear cut last season with 400-450 type ranges. A 4 year old heavy 8 walked out at 40 yards and he let him have it. That bullet did not perform up close, I saw the hit just behind the shoulder, that deer never bled a drop and pushed his face from the broken off side shoulder for 250 yards. Matt put those bullets back in the safe.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
My buddy has a 26 nosler and has some ABLR he put together. We were sitting on a clear cut last season with 400-450 type ranges. A 4 year old heavy 8 walked out at 40 yards and he let him have it. That bullet did not perform up close, I saw the hit just behind the shoulder, that deer never bled a drop and pushed his face from the broken off side shoulder for 250 yards. Matt put those bullets back in the safe.
A mature deer at close range with cartridges that drive bullets over (and especially well over) 3000 fps is a lot to ask of most bullets. Ones that would hold together well under those circumstances probably wouldn't expand enough at 400 and vice-versa.
The extremes are hard to guess when they will happen.

Big7

The Oracle
but the 6.5CM automatically makes you a sniper, the 260rem doesnt
You can't "OFFICIALLY" be a sniper without an Under Armor spandex T- shirt and a pair of Sperry boat shoezz.

Just having a CM alone won't get you in the club.

If you want to be a "squad leader" you got to have some Oakley sunglasses.
:whip:

rmp

A mature deer at close range with cartridges that drive bullets over (and especially well over) 3000 fps is a lot to ask of most bullets. Ones that would hold together well under those circumstances probably wouldn't expand enough at 400 and vice-versa.
The extremes are hard to guess when they will happen.

The 129 Long Range Accubonds have served me well at 6.5 Manbun velocities and are forgiving on seating depth. Never tried the 142’s but I would expect similar performance.
If I’m expecting shots at close range, I’d opt for something tougher or take a different chambering that day. As you mentioned, it’s sometimes tough to KNOW on the extremes but most times I’ve got a pretty good idea.

Liberty

Been checking out some places after going to the range today.

Ima' be shooting my Marlin mostly this year on thick public land.

I only got permission to hunt one piece of property where I can stretch out one of the boomers.
Take the 7 Mag anyway, I shot one in the non-eating parts at about 20 yards with where it’s wasn’t “suppose to show up” with a hot hand load. The tracking job was completed from the ladder stand. Just kidding, those long magnum barrels are unwieldy in the woods.

Big7

The Oracle
Take the 7 Mag anyway, I shot one in the non-eating parts at about 20 yards with where it’s wasn’t “suppose to show up” with a hot hand load. The tracking job was completed from the ladder stand. Just kidding, those long magnum barrels are unwieldy in the woods.
This will be my first season with a lever 30- 30 ever and it's been a very long time, prolly 30 years, since I killed one with my Marlin in 35 Remington.

Hunting the spots I've settled on in my nearest WMA is going to be in some thick stuff.

3 meadows and a few man made roads are the only places I can even see out to 125- 150 yards.
I'm debating whether or not to scope it or just shoot the iron sights. I suspect 40 or 50 yards will be the norm.

Reactions: Dub

Bobby Bigtime

I have always(mostly) favored what I consider "normal" cartridges because for every one of the more new, obscure, wildcat or whatever, there is an established cartridge that is basically and ballistically very close in performance. The trend in my neck of the woods (plains) is that the newer and more obscure the better and good for them. If it prompts them to spend twice as much to shoot half as much, that's their prerogative. They can make up for it with a 1200 dollar action a 1200 dollar barrel 1200 dollar stock and 2500 dollar scope and covet the 3 dollar per shot ammunition. I appreciate them supporting the industry.