5.56 Defensive Loads

Mars

I've shot rifles a good bit indoors(with ear pro). It is extremely loud and the concussion is significant. Having said that, I think a rifle is more effective for me in my situation. My nearest neighbor is hundreds of yards away through thick woods so that isn't really a concern and anything more than a 22lr would likely go through every wall in my house from any given point.

Tight Lines

Pistol rounds don’t break up like rifle rounds

Which can make them more of a hazard despite their lower velocities

5.56 would actually be safer than 9mm Luger

All guns are very loud inside a room with out a suppressor
Have you ever tried shooting into a berm so you can find your rounds? 9MM JHP will often be mangled and on the surface...an inch or two below a furrow. The 5.56 M193 will create a 12" furrow and be much more difficult to find...YMMV

SC Hunter

In all reality I'll know before somebody gets into our home 99 times out of 100. We have big dogs outside, 2 of which will gnaw if they don't know you and we're not outside, that wake up and raise hades. I really don't want to be cooking off rounds inside the house anyway and messing up the walls. My wife would be super upset if a bullet hit her nice counter tops or something messes up the paint. Please don't come in uninvited.

lampern

Have you ever tried shooting into a berm so you can find your rounds? 9MM JHP will often be mangled and on the surface...an inch or two below a furrow. The 5.56 M193 will create a 12" furrow and be much more difficult to find...YMMV

5.56 193 fragments into pieces when it hits something. Its designed to do that.

lampern

I think it’s a byproduct of their speed. I can’t see how someone would design a jacketed round to break into pieces.

The US military and Remington Arms did just that

Hence the 223 Remington/5.56 NATO cartridge which is legal to use in war

Tight Lines

The US military and Remington Arms did just that

Hence the 223 Remington/5.56 NATO cartridge which is legal to use in war
I'm not sure where you picked up the myth about a 5.56 breaking apart...it tumbles more than other rounds maybe, but it isn't designed to fragment. There are specific rounds designed to do that, called frangible, but I can assure you that the M193 FMJ is not designed to be frangible.

If you can find anything that refutes that I'd love to read it and revise my statement.

The military reasons for the 5.56 were that a soldier could carry more ammo, and wounded soldiers were more important to the unwounded soldiers than a dead one...so it takes more out of the fight. Other than that, it was to design a round that would be highly portable, fast, and accurate...and a weapon that was reliable to fire it quickly...

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I'm not sure where you picked up the myth about a 5.56 breaking apart...it tumbles more than other rounds maybe, but it isn't designed to fragment. There are specific rounds designed to do that, called frangible, but I can assure you that the M193 FMJ is not designed to be frangible.

If you can find anything that refutes that I'd love to read it and revise my statement.

The military reasons for the 5.56 were that a soldier could carry more ammo, and wounded soldiers were more important to the unwounded soldiers than a dead one...so it takes more out of the fight. Other than that, it was to design a round that would be highly portable, fast, and accurate...and a weapon that was reliable to fire it quickly...

Yeap.
Now the one I box I took picks of. It’s a hollow point. It will open up completely on hogs and the few deer. I hear the report of hits pretty good. Big hogs it never comes out. Deer may have 2 or 3 holes coming out. It does a number to the insides.
The military rounds as u said. They say they tumble. Even when hitting the brush in VNam. I bet that would do a number in war fare.
I would think the soft points at 2800 fps would break up too. Flatten out.

lampern

As you said earlier it is velocity dependent

Military spec M193 is driven so fast it breaks up in the body

Most commercial FMJ 223 ammo won't do that

Its designed for punching paper

Winchester makes actual M193 spec 5.56 ammunition

lampern

Mushrooming bullets have been banned by most countries for war

Fragmenting bullets have not been banned

Do not ask me why that is