Frontline Defense Firearms Center, Warrenton North Carolina

menhadenman

We headed east of Raleigh so the kids could see their family for the 4th. I found a neat range about 50 minutes north of mom’s place and decided it was well worth a trip after talking to the owner last week.

I packed up my 7 RM (Browning X Bolt with 1/8 twist and 28” barrel… it’ll run circles around the new PRC) and my T3X light in 6.5 that is a dandy for toting in the backcountry.

I brought 40 rounds of handloads for the 7 RM (168 VLDs in Peterson brass, LRM primers, and a healthy dose of IMR 4350, the old brown mule). Also had nearly 100 rounds of my go to 41.5 grains of H 4350/143 ELD-X for the manbun.

They allow guests on the weekend. Not on the 1k range but the 200-500 yard range is available for $26/hour. They have a great shooting deck that’s shaded with benches and spots to lay prone. Steel targets at 200, 300, 350, 400, 450, and 500.

It was ENC hot yesterday (with a thick humid crosswind) so I didn’t get as much down range as I wanted. But I squeezed off 20 from my 7 RM, dialing out and back between shots and nailing the targets without a miss. The SWFA 3-15 really does it’s job. This scope is in MIL and I can get to 500 and back in less than 2.4 MIL of dialing at ~2900 fps.

Now my 0.284 180 ELD-M loads are barking at 3100 fps over Retumbo and have an insane BC of 0.796… pretty sure they’d shoot in a hurricane. Maybe next time.

Also had a great time with the manbun. I’ve got the SWFA ultralight with the BDC reticle designed for 223… which nearly matches the Creed. I was able to easily bang steel using holdovers at each distance. I spanked close to 50 shots.

Now this won’t be as accurate as dialing with the 7 RM, but I still have some old school MPBR and “set it and forget it” mentality that’s yet to be drained. This scope is MOA and 500 yards is about 8 MOA from a 200 yard zero at ~2700 fps.

Both rifles had barrels that were curling irons in that heat, plus a few more shooters were showing up. I decided to pull the plug and go seek a cold beer.

I’d like to stretch these two rifles (and my 308) a few more times before my Wyoming hunt this fall but was very happy with the time I spent yesterday. Almost GON be ready to hang with @Jester896 and @BriarPatch99 in south GA ;).

The range is really impressive and worth the trip if anyone is out this way. The owner is a combat veteran and really knows his stuff. A surprising shelf of ammo and goodies in their shop too. It’s in the country for real and surrounded by government land. A sweet setup on about 100 acres.

If I was within 90 minutes they’d have another full time member.

B6ADE9B2-2AB0-47EA-A1B4-82D90BFC923C.jpeg
BC5DB88F-057C-4083-8CC6-35D2103B2459.png

Dub

Looks like a playground for real.

I know you had fun !!!

I wish there were something like that close to here.

menhadenman

I was there again in December. Weather was terrible - wind and heavy rain. I can attest that the downpour didn't seem to affect the groups out to 500 yds... the wind on the other hand...

Should give you some ideas for your place @Jim Boyd ? 12" steel plates every 50 yds is pretty nice. You can dial to walk em out to distance and walk em back in to 200. Great way to get a little more confidence in your scope, rifle, loads, equipment, and mafmatics :).

menhadenman

Speaking of... here's a shot of our ol' uncle (closing in on 80, due for a knee surgery). He was not feeling very well but not terrible enough to miss heading up there with me while all the in laws did whatever they do in the house half the day. He's a Navy vet, Citadel guy from SC, and lifelong marksman. Got me into reloading somewhere around 15 years ago.

Here he is - minus the cane - spanking steel out to 500 yds with my Tikka CTR in 308. Those 175 TMKs with 42.5 grains of Varget are pretty solid even if they can't break 2600 fps. A slow hit is better than a fast miss!

We stopped by a brewery with my dog on the way home. A great day at the range. And the old man still has plenty left in the tank. He dropped about 5 rounds into a mighty tight group after getting the wind call at 500 yds to wrap up the day.

IMG_6806.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
I can attest that the downpour didn't seem to affect the groups out to 500 yds... the wind on the other hand...
it can't rain on a bullet
Here he is - minus the cane - spanking steel out to 500 yds with my Tikka CTR in 308. Those 175 TMKs with 42.5 grains of Varget are pretty solid even if they can't break 2600 fps. A slow hit is better than a fast miss!
they can with RL-15, 760/H414 or IMR4064

I wish that strip was farther back on that bench so it would be easy to load the bipod

menhadenman

it can't rain on a bullet

they can with RL-15, 760/H414 or IMR4064

I wish that strip was farther back on that bench so it would be easy to load the bipod

@Jester896 ive also heard rain can’t touch a bullet but also saw this G&A article a while back… but didn’t notice any shifts with maybe 50 rounds to 500 yards in a heavy downpour myself. Also heard from lots of guys that have done a lot more shooting than myself that rain doesn’t do a thing.

I have 4064 but have been using Varget for these loads for temp stability. Maybe I’m overthinking it but when I tote that rifle west it can be 10 or 75 degrees within a few days. I did buy a box of 168s and will load up some for testing here pretty soon. Big bird hunt coming up in 12 days so I need to knock the dust off my shotguns.

Reactions: Dub

menhadenman

Also - Reloader is a unicorn around where I live. Pretty sure I’ve only seen a couple pounds since covid and believe it was that RL 15.5.

Jim Boyd

Speaking of... here's a shot of our ol' uncle (closing in on 80, due for a knee surgery). He was not feeling very well but not terrible enough to miss heading up there with me while all the in laws did whatever they do in the house half the day. He's a Navy vet, Citadel guy from SC, and lifelong marksman. Got me into reloading somewhere around 15 years ago.

We stopped by a brewery with my dog on the way home. A great day at the range. And the old man still has plenty left in the tank. He dropped about 5 rounds into a mighty tight group after getting the wind call at 500 yds to wrap up the day.

View attachment 1284840

Absolutely love that!

Jester896

Senior Clown
Also - Reloader is a unicorn around where I live. Pretty sure I’ve only seen a couple pounds since covid and believe it was that RL 15.5.
I will gladly swap you and RL15.5 for an RL-15. With my 26" I was getting 2612 with 42gr @ 2.850 in my rifle. The 20" is a little slower from the few rounds of it I have shot in the one I traded for that rifle. I would also use RF-15.5 as a substitute. @bullgator speaks highly of it and I have been trying to find some to play with.

I guess you could make it rain on a bullet in a test like that. I think in a natural setting the turbulence around the bullet will blow the rain away. What affects the POI is the different atmospheric conditions that weren't going on when you recorded your D.O.P.E.

menhadenman

I will gladly swap you and RL15.5 for an RL-15. With my 26" I was getting 2612 with 42gr @ 2.850 in my rifle. The 20" is a little slower from the few rounds of it I have shot in the one I traded for that rifle. I would also use RF-15.5 as a substitute. @bullgator speaks highly of it and I have been trying to find some to play with.

I guess you could make it rain on a bullet in a test like that. I think in a natural setting the turbulence around the bullet will blow the rain away. What affects the POI is the different atmospheric conditions that weren't going on when you recorded your D.O.P.E.

Actually only saw it at Alexander’s about 18 months ago… shoulda bought some I suppose! I’ll keep an eye out for some maybe swing by there tomorrow. They’ve got a 308 T3X Roughtech that’s been weighing on my convoys.

menhadenman

Well @Jester896 i have no good news on the powder front. Alexander’s is usually good for having some solid supply but not so hot on prices. Then again everyone is sliding in the wrong direction under whoever is controlling chairman Biden.

The guys there say Alliant doesn’t seem to follow much of a pattern and does what they want… no reloader powders since last summer?

Even worse, Hodgdon is stacking the shelves (even unicorns like h100 and Retumbo, h4350, Varget, benchmark). But even the IMR stuff is insane.

418E3E4F-FF97-4FCB-9B01-074B9E41D983.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Dub