6.5 creedmore vs 6.5 PRC

JR924

cut it off?
Would you buy a 20 MOA scope base for my needs or just a 0 MOA?

JR924

Bo
cut it off?
Bought this from Amazon. I think it is German made which is appropriate for a Sauer. Tried to it buy from Brownells, Midway, EGW and others but the dang shipping cost kills the deal.

Gator89

Bo

Bought this from Amazon. I think it is German made which is appropriate for a Sauer. Tried to it buy from Brownells, Midway, EGW and others but the dang shipping cost kills the deal.

.243 is short action, .308 length.

Long action is 30:06 length.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Would you buy a 20 MOA scope base for my needs or just a 0 MOA?
sorry I thought I was linking to the 0 MOA
I'm not sure what you bought at Amazon

Dub

“I'm not sure what you bought at Amazon”

You said a lot right there.

Buyer beware.
Amazon doesn’t safeguard well against counterfeit stuff nor are their return policies consistent among all the vendors.

Gun parts from Midway, Brownells, EGW and similar is worth it when procuring things to set up a rifle, handgun or shotgun…..in my experience.

I will buy a pile of stuff via Amazon but when it comes to gun & optic parts I am going where trust has been established.

Gator89

While it is just personal preference, I do not like a rail on a load from the top rifle. I use 2 piece mounts on these guns.

If the gun is fed by detachable mag, rail is good to go.

Yet, I am sure lots of folks use a rail on these types of guns with success.

You don't know if you don't give it a try.

deast1988

6.5 creedmoor you’d get laughed out of elk camp. Some of these critters are $10,000 by the time you pull the trigger. Watch YouTube, born and raised hit an elk 5 times with a creedmoor before it laid down on its own.

Mulely Freak, stopped taking the 6.5prc on elk. Beautiful tack driving rifle, he hit one 3 times before it was anchored. It never once even flinched. The 6.5s work fine, but carrying the mail isn’t something I’d consider them to do. Especially with piles of proof filmed on YouTube,

I’m going 7prc as my next rifle,

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
6.5 creedmoor you’d get laughed out of elk camp. Some of these critters are $10,000 by the time you pull the trigger. Watch YouTube, born and raised hit an elk 5 times with a creedmoor before it laid down on its own.

Mulely Freak, stopped taking the 6.5prc on elk. Beautiful tack driving rifle, he hit one 3 times before it was anchored. It never once even flinched. The 6.5s work fine, but carrying the mail isn’t something I’d consider them to do. Especially with piles of proof filmed on YouTube,

They have to hit em where they live with the right bullet. The wrong bullets don't get to the right spot or right bullet in the wrong spots don't kill anything well.

Gator89

They have to hit em where they live with the right bullet. The wrong bullets don't get to the right spot or right bullet in the wrong spots don't kill anything well.

Even a 300 mag will break a leg or gut shoot an elk.

When I was in the 6th grade I was sitting on a rock beside my daddy when he shot a spike bull in Colorado. He shot that bull 3 times with a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. That bull stayed on his feet until the third shot. When we dressed it, the bull had 3 holes in him, all in the heart/lung area. We saved the liver, it had a hole as big as a softball through it.

Folks claim to be killing western deer and elk with a 6.5 Grendel, but I cannot attest to that.

If I was to strike out for elk country, I would take my 7mm mag and some sort of bonded or partitioned bullet.

Last edited:

deast1988

Born and Raised and MuleyFreak were shooting, ELDX 143gr Hornady factory loads marketed for big game. One was PRC other was Creedmoor, both were 250yds or more. Both animals took multiple hits to anchor. If it was my money, or an outfitter saying draw blood that’s your animal no way I’d use one. Guys saying .243s sure if it’s perfect, I’m sitting here thinking of the 30+ creedmoor deer I’ve been involved with saying it’s not even remotely ideal for ELK. Guys on here saying Grendel, even worse advice. The PRC is hands down the head to head winner, closer to a .270wsm then anything. Even thinking back, I’ve seen the HUSH guys dump 6.5-300s into elk that kept shaking them off.

But the 6.5RPM by Weatherby, it’s super sweet even faster then the 6.5prc. But I still wouldn’t want it vs an elk. You watch the Weatherby YouTube, inside 300yds they use copper mono bullets like Hammers. Outside 300yds they use bonded lead bullets. You will see a drastic reaction on the animals part with a lead bullet being much more violent then a copper one holding a lot of energy back to insure penetration.

Gator89

Born and Raised and MuleyFreak were shooting, ELDX 143gr Hornady factory loads marketed for big game. One was PRC other was Creedmoor, both were 250yds or more. Both animals took multiple hits to anchor. If it was my money, or an outfitter saying draw blood that’s your animal no way I’d use one. Guys saying .243s sure if it’s perfect, I’m sitting here thinking of the 30+ creedmoor deer I’ve been involved with saying it’s not even remotely ideal for ELK. Guys on here saying Grendel, even worse advice. The PRC is hands down the head to head winner, closer to a .270wsm then anything. Even thinking back, I’ve seen the HUSH guys dump 6.5-300s into elk that kept shaking them off.

But the 6.5RPM by Weatherby, it’s super sweet even faster then the 6.5prc. But I still wouldn’t want it vs an elk. You watch the Weatherby YouTube, inside 300yds they use copper mono bullets like Hammers. Outside 300yds they use bonded lead bullets. You will see a drastic reaction on the animals part with a lead bullet being much more violent then a copper one holding a lot of energy back to insure penetration.

Jester896

Senior Clown
if I had a Needmoor I wouldn't use 140 class bullets to hunt with. I might shoot that weight at targets all day. I would have 120 class bullets in mine if I was hunting something heavier than a Whitetail. In fact my .260 hunting rifle uses 127.

HughW2

A lot right with this comment. Since any of us will have to travel a long way and spend big money for an elk hunt with a decent chance at a trophy bull (currently running about $8,000- 12,000 for a guided hunt in a serious trophy area). I think anyone would be handicapping themselves taking less than a 7 mag or .300 mag. I ended my elk hunting years with a .338 Win mag, which is a thumper, but no bull complained. I would say .300 mag in any of several flavors is about ideal For an out of state trophy hunter. If just looking for any elk or a cow take your .30-06 or .308.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Based off of loading the 143 eldx for my Sons 6.5C, they are an ok whitetail bullet. Fragile in my opinion. Most never exit on broadside shots. They absolutely would not be my pick for Elk if they aren't penetrating 16" of broadside deer. The 308/30TC case sized cartridges all drive bullets 2700fps or more, which is plenty of Horsepower, but the right bullet should be used.

JR924

Sorry, this is the one I bought on Amazon.