Change ammo on Elk Hunt

JR924

Leaving tomorrow for Bull Elk Hunt in Colorado. Had a problem with the last batch of 8x57 175 grain ProHunter (2650 fps) handloads. 9 of 75 I shot were duds. No duds in previous batches of the handloads but all are gone. So there is a 12% chance if I pull the trigger, the ammo will be a dud. Handloader has apologized and will give me a generous refund. However there is not enough time to fix this.

Thinking of using the S&B 196 grain SPCE ammo instead. In fact, I set up my gun yesterday zeroed on this ammo at 200 yard. The unbonded bullet jacket forms a cutting edge flower petal as it expands. Basically it is a jacketed soft point. Devestating on deer, big wound, holds together and exits but slight possiblity it may not penetrate thru an elk, a and definitely not recommended for a shoulder or quartering shot. I attached the factory description and ballistics below. It shoots 1 MOA from my gun and nearly as good as my handloads. Velocity is 2600 fps so energy is on par or slightly better than a 308. The factory said it is a good bullet but not as tough something like a Nosler Partition. The rep said I will be Ok if I only shoot broadside into the lungs but not the shoulder at close range. However, I am thinking that in Europe, this ammo is taking a lot of elk and moose. However can not find any reference to that thought.

I would hold shots to just broadside into the lungs at 250 yards and avoid shoulder or quartering shots. Anyway, the drop gets insane after 250 yards so another reason to keep it close. Thinking if a lead roundball can kill an elk, why not the SPCE. It is a big chunk of lead with a lot of energy. At 250 yards, the bullet would hit at nearly 1700 ft-lbs. Day before the hunt, we will be able to sight our rifles so I will discuss this issue with guide. Just wondering what some of you experienced elk hunters or those that know ones would do in this situation. I plan to ask my guide to put me in a location with short shooting distances and good rests even if poorer than normal place to hunt. Just do not want to wound an animal. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Big7

The Oracle
Yes, I would use it and go by their recommendations. They are either the oldest or second oldest boolit manufacturer on Erf and they make excellent cartridges.

Two thoughts. (or more :LOL:)

1) You said you got 175gr and you attached a link to 196gr. If you are going to be at 200 yards, either weight will do but I'd go with the 196gr

1a) Don't expect many boolits to perform on big game like that Partition. It's still the one all others are measured by. (Yes, there are bonded and monolithic "super bullets", I know.)
That Nosler Partition is bad to the bone.

2) With that handload, it's the primers and it will either go- or not. If it lights up, the velocities and performance will be the same as what you are used to. You have right at 9 to 1 odds in 10 it WILL go off. I'd do that. Surly you can chamber 2 rounds efficiently? That makes your odds WAY better over 10 rounds. Those are good odds.

3) I know 3 places close to me that have 8X57. I can go get you some and bring them half way to you- depending what time you are leaving.

4) I can loan you a rifle and cartridges already sighted in and ready to go if you are that concerned about the odds.

If it were me, I'd go with option 1 and 2, in that order.

FWIW- I've used that same configuration in 7X57 and would not hesitate one second taking them on a trip like that.

Last edited:

ScLowCountry

Do you not have a back up rifle? A 270, 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 wm, or any generic deer rifle. Just take a moderately sized deer rifle and shoot the elk in the lungs.

Thousands of elk get killed with archery tackle. Just put a bullet 243 and up in the lungs and you will be packing out meat

menhadenman

Some guys swear by the SPCE for hogs and they can have tougher shoulders than elk.

Not to create another problem but the low BC is something to check on too. That bullet will push a foot at 250 yds with a 15 mph crosswind. Western breeze can be a sunuvagun.

I’d either figure out the limits of this combo and roll with confidence or just grab another rifle with better ammo availability.

Good luck - I hate these last second changes when I’m on the receiving end. Wonder what the reloader thinks happened?

Dub

Shame the rifle wasn’t chambered in a more widely used cartridge with easily obtainable ammo.

SC Hunter

Shame the rifle wasn’t chambered in a more widely used cartridge with easily obtainable ammo.
I thought it last night but didn't say it. But since you said it didn't several of us recommend a 30-06 type cartridge for this very reason?? Hate to kick a fella when he's down but dang.

Reactions: Dub

Big7

The Oracle
I thought it last night but didn't say it. But since you said it didn't several of us recommend a 30-06 type cartridge for this very reason?? Hate to kick a fella when he's down but dang.
That's more than half the fun.

My Daddy loaned one of his Army buddies his Mosin Sporter in 7.62X54R to take on an Elk trip out west before it even had a scope on it.
(I don't think I was even in high school yet)

Guy hooked up on one with a Norma 150gr Oryx and brought him back to Georgia. One shot.

Norma was the ONLY available "soft point" for any milsurp in the United States except maybe 7X57 and it was high as all get out. I still have some of his.

Might get the rifle and boolits out for a pic to post after a while.

Reactions: rmp

SC Hunter

That's more than half the fun.

My Daddy loaned one of his Army buddies his Mosin Sporter in 7.62X54R to take on an Elk trip out west before it even had a scope on it.
(I don't think I was even in high school yet)

Guy hooked up on one with a Norma 150gr Oryx and brought him back to Georgia. One shot.

Norma was the ONLY available "soft point" for any milsurp in the United States except maybe 7X57 and it was high as all get out. I still have some of his.

Might get the rifle and boolits out for a pic to post after a while.
That's all well and good. If I'm going on a guided elk hunt out west I'm not picking a brand new rifle in an elusive caliber that has limited ammo selection online much less in stores. If I did, for some wild reason, pick an off the wall chambered rifle I'd have enough ammo for my lifetime and yours for it. Oh well. I hope the OP kills a monster bull and the rifle does a fine job for him.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My in-laws are western hunters, kill mule deer and elk regularly. Largest caliber in the safe is 30-06. If I’m going on a dream hunt I’m carrying something with readily available ammo. I wish you the best, kill a big one.

JR924

Thanks for the replies. Got as far as Arkansas today. My brother and his friend are driving the whole 24 hours from Thursday noon to Friday at 3 pm. Hunt starts very early Saturday morning. One guy driving while one sleeps. Not for me.

I am Ok to use my 8x57 gun and try the handloads. I will shoot Friday before the hunt and make the final decision on the maxium range I will shoot an elk and if I change my mine on the ammo. Trajectory wise under 350 yards, there is not that much difference in trajectory or energy between the handloads and the S&B ammo. The wind is a bigger concern and may limit my upper range. Appreciate the offer to loan ammo and a gun.

Yes I am kicking myself for not getting a 308 or 30-06. Thanks for reminding me of one my many life mistakes.. To painful to remember why I did it buy a 8x57 gun. Cheap 8x57 hunting and surplus ammo is plentiful in the states if you want target shooting, deer, black bear and similar size animals but the ammo with durable elk/moose worthy bullets are plentiful in Europe not here. Anyway, hopefully a few guys in our party of 5 will shoot a bull elk.

GregoryB.

I guess I am the odd man out. I don’t care for main stream calibers like the 30-06 ( I own one I inherited). I do reload so it’s no big issue. Does you no good at this point but I would suggest you start reloading your own. Good luck on your hunt, hope you kill a monster.

Big7

The Oracle
I would want to see the primer strike before I was 100% confident of that. There are several things that could cause a primer not to fire.

Best of luck with your hunt!
If it's just that lot from that same guy making the loads for him that have shot 100% until this lot?

Yes. Possibly. Unlikely but possible.

Anyhoooo... That was Monday. Hope OP has it figured out by now and maybe got one on the ground.

The one and only time I thought I had a chance to go out west was with 2 friends to help split expenses, I bought a NIB 77MK2 in .338 Win Mag just for that trip. At the time, I had several big center-fire calibers and of course the Big7 but I bought it anyway.

I shot it twice. My friends shot it once each. It sat in my safe 15- 18 years or something like that and I sold it after I shot the other cartridges. 36 more times, no scope, straight into a dirt bank. That felt great for about a month.

I needed another rifle then about like a hole in the head but at the time, it wasn't worth taking a chance so I definitely see that side to the story.

I got that covered several times over now so when the opportunity presents itself, I'm ready.

Big7

The Oracle
Thanks for the replies. Got as far as Arkansas today. My brother and his friend are driving the whole 24 hours from Thursday noon to Friday at 3 pm. Hunt starts very early Saturday morning. One guy driving while one sleeps. Not for me.

I am Ok to use my 8x57 gun and try the handloads. I will shoot Friday before the hunt and make the final decision on the maxium range I will shoot an elk and if I change my mine on the ammo. Trajectory wise under 350 yards, there is not that much difference in trajectory or energy between the handloads and the S&B ammo. The wind is a bigger concern and may limit my upper range. Appreciate the offer to loan ammo and a gun.

Yes I am kicking myself for not getting a 308 or 30-06. Thanks for reminding me of one my many life mistakes.. To painful to remember why I did it buy a 8x57 gun. Cheap 8x57 hunting and surplus ammo is plentiful in the states if you want target shooting, deer, black bear and similar size animals but the ammo with durable elk/moose worthy bullets are plentiful in Europe not here. Anyway, hopefully a few guys in our party of 5 will shoot a bull elk.
Don't let it bother you. 8X57 is an excellent cartridge and in offerings of the same or nearly the same bullet weight, the 8X57 and 30- 06 are ballistically very close. Twins practically.

FWIW.. I'd rather have it than a .308 and taking a once in a lifetime shot at an animal like that would have the cool factor off the chart with a Mauser cartridge that dates back to the turn of the 20th century. Well over a hundred years ago.

Best of luck to you, be calm, take the shot and keep us posted !!!
:cheers:

deerslayer357

How was your hunt?

JR924

How was your hunt?
Hunted up the mountain from Monterose GA on public land. Saw a large bull elk, did not get a shot off as it saw me move, had altitude sickness, was not in good physical shape for the rigors of the hunt, could not stay still, saw futility in continuing hunt while sick, and left after one day. I have the same problem staying still on a deer hunt. so should have realized that problem would not change. Great guide service, fantastic cook, knowledgeable hard working guides and nice facilities. I was warned many months ago about the conditions and preparation of the hunt and I was ill prepared. Hunt an expensive lesson but I have made bad financial decisions before. Wife still mad and has let me know it every day so far. Probably be a month or so of punishment. Life is hard, harder when you are stupid (John Wayne)

Last edited:

Latest posts