What distance to zero hunting rifle at.

JR924

Thread was just to make sure that I was using a zero that made sense for the range I was hunting. Basically to verify an internet article with the experience on this forum. Appreciate the other advice but I am a responsible ethical hunter.

Yes, I am doing plenty of practice from 50-400 yards. Already started to move to sticks, tripod, backpack and standing. I got till Mid October and I shoot 2 times a week 5-6 hours a day (ammo $$$$). Today was my best day ever shooting groups. Will increase shooting times the closer it gets to the hunt. Also in August, I will buy a full size elk target to practice on with all the shooting positions. I will also say shooting springer air rifles is helping me be a better shot as you have to hold them very consistently, much more than firearms. Thanks for the replies.

Jester896

Senior Clown
it would depend greatly on the exact equipment that you are using. There is no one answer covers all in this question.

If the scope has open turrets...100 yards
If the scope has BDC compensation... follow the mfg suggestions...usually 200 yards... and prove it for the round you are using.
If it is a simple duplex you could zero at 100 and know the drops at the yardage you will be shooting or at the MPBR that so many use so thinking isn't involved.

maybe if you don't have a small amount of time to think about it...you shouldn't be doing it.

Reactions: Dub

sleepr71

What if you see the bull of a lifetime at 350-400..? I’d sight in dead-on at 200 & have to KNOW actual drop at 300/350/400….and put it on a laminated card..epoxied to my rifle :)

JR924

I am zeroing at 200 yards. What you say makes sense. Have to test it this Thursday but my Burris Scope reticle hash-marks comes out good to standard distances at 10x for a 8x57 175 gr sierra prohunter at 2650 fps. Think these will work good at the shooting distances I expect at the hunt.

50- have to test
100 - have to test
200 - zero center.
254 - 1st hash-mark
344 - 2nd hash-mark
426 - 3rd hash-mark

JR924

Glad you reminded me of that. I did put in the hunting elevation the guide told me in the Burris reticle analysis tool. I need to keep that in mind when I see the actual shooting results here. I assume the groups should print low shooting here then what the reticle analysis tool says.

Bobby Bigtime

Bullethead is right hold on hair. Working your crosshairs up the animal on an outhouse lob is a good recipe for a heartbreaking miss or a bull that can gimp for miles. I shoot lots of similar bullet weights in that velocity window and that 3" high at 100 area will allow you to simply shoot when your thinker is busy.

Boondocks

You not going to have time to look at a chart. Zero at 2-3 high at 100 yards.Do not shoot over 300 yards if over Elk wins today. Like they say hold on hair not air. I can tell you that you will not be shooting from your best position when the shot is avalible.

Robert28

My longest shot on any of my deer stands on my property is 225 yards. I sight my rifles in at 100 and it’s gtg for what I do. To be honest, I don’t think I could even see well enough to shoot past 300.

GunnSmokeer

If You think a 300 yard shot is realistic,
and since the difficulty level of a 300 yard shot is at the max, then I would actually zero it for 300 yards!

And I would test it at 250, 200, 150 and 100 yds. and find out how high it is hitting those distances write down the numbers maybe make a little cheat sheet on a piece of paper and tape it to your stock with clear package wrapping tape.

You may have to aim little low at around 150 or 175 yards.

GunnSmokeer

With Rem. Core-Lokt 170 gr. soft point ammo,

if 300 yd is your zero,

Aim 4" low at 50 yds.
Aim 9" low at 100.
Aim a foot low at both 150 and 200 yds.
Aim only 7" low at 250.
Aim dead-on at 300.

And if you wanted to try a 350 yard shot, then aim 12" higher than your desired impact point.

killerv

With Rem. Core-Lokt 170 gr. soft point ammo,

if 300 yd is your zero,

Aim 4" low at 50 yds.
Aim 9" low at 100.
Aim a foot low at both 150 and 200 yds.
Aim only 7" low at 250.
Aim dead-on at 300.

And if you wanted to try a 350 yard shot, then aim 12" higher than your desired impact point.
And remember all that in those split seconds a buck of a lifetime walks out, not to mention knowing the yardage.

200 yard zero for me, just aim and shoot from 0-200, no adjustments. At 300, I've checked my numbers and most of the time it calls for laying that horizontal crosshair about on top of its back for the calibers/rounds I shoot.