Pistol recommendation for running…?

menhadenman

Bobby Bigtime

Smith and Wesson 649 bodyguard. Stainless to resist sweat, hammerless to resist snags and you can cut the supporter part off a jock and use the elastic band to secure it anywhere on your upper body you wish. In shorts and a tee shirt it is inconspicuous

SC Hunter

I've got a buddy that runs alot, marathons and getting ready for an Iron man next month. He has a fanny pack he carries an lcp max in and does fine. He's below what I call "victim weight" of 200 pounds and the max doesn't seem to bother him but your mileage mary vary.

I also have an NAA 22 mag that stays in my pocket and it is nothing more than an "I've got in a really bad spot here and need to shoot them because this knife isn't working" type gun. Over about 20 feet you are going to need some practice.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I think the correct answer is what gun do you shoot the best?
Yeah the 686 is a bit much gun for running IMO. I’ll most likely be carrying with a belly band, appendix, or a very small vest.
Snub nose and short barrels are more comfortable to carry - that’s for sure.

Sooner or later “shot placement” will be mentioned.

Most people can’t hit with tiny guns, even at close range. It’s not really the pistols fault, in a ransom rest most all factory guns are accurate at sd ranges. The problem is they are difficult to present (draw), get proper grip /or two hands, aim (short sight radius) and control follow up. Then when you add stress / speed - not good

I would look at light revolvers or pistols with at least three and a quarter inch barrels. They can be carried comfortably in a proper fitted holster.

I don't know where you are running? If i ran in a 25 mile radius of my house i would be comfortable carrying a low capacity pistol, we don’t really have any gangs around here. But if i were running in and around ATL, Columbus, or Macon, i would most likely carry something with a bit more mag capacity.

I personally like to carry a scaled down version of a pistol that i shoot best and most. It doesn’t really matter what it is, but in a stressful situation grip angle matters. Muscle memory matters. Round count builds confidence and that is very important.

GeorgiaBob

I can't run anymore but when I did I carried a hammerless snub .38 in a clip on holster positioned in the middle of my back. The back up I carry now is a Ruger LCP with a red laser (Crimson Trace is inexpensive and often on sale) in a neoprene ankle holster.

I have one of the "belly band" neoprene holsters that might work for a runner. I suggest "butt" carry because it is out of the way and doesn't impede running. If you get an LCP (I too suggest the first model) you can supplement the small 6+1 capacity with an 11 round mag and still come out as light as a small double stack 9mm.

leroy

I don’t personally own one, but I’ve never heard of jams being an issue with those. The issue I’ve always heard about was snappy and hard to get a good grip on, but supposedly the perfect pistol to stick in a pocket
Carried the original lcp in pocket daily for 8-10 yrs just upgraded to the max no issues with either one.

earlthegoat2

I am a runner as well and though I don’t carry very often while running these days I have in the past and have all the acutrements to do it again.

In the days of wearing your MP3 player up on your arm in a case, I carried an P3AT (LCP) and/or an NAA mini revolver 22 mag. Sometimes I would just hold the mini in my hand while running.

I also would run with a plate carrier sometimes but I would only have a weight in the rear compartment and have a 686 or Beretta 92 in the front.

I have a chest rig for a J frame I would wear under my shirt. I didn’t really care if it printed as folks always have devices around their necks while exercising these days.

Thunderwear is always an option.

I have a belt I made somewhere that had 2 Cold Steel push daggers which the sheaths tightly sewn onto it.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Smith and Wesson 649 bodyguard. Stainless to resist sweat, hammerless to resist snags and you can cut the supporter part off a jock and use the elastic band to secure it anywhere on your upper body you wish. In shorts and a tee shirt it is inconspicuous
This is what I do with the exact gun