New Purchases for Next Season

175rltw

BANNED
My problem with persimmons is getting females.
Ive got a few nice male trees that I’m going to try grafting with female shoots.
Ive read on here how to do it. Now I need to put it to practice.
If you read something on here about grafting and was something other than a link to UGA or au extensiion- I’d look up grafting on the UGA extension. They top work mature pecan trees routinely to test new varieties and offer in depth notes on bud grafting ** whip grafting etc. I grafted a whip from one of my satsuma trees to a seedling I grew from a grapefruit and I’m proud and pleased as punch with it.

I’m hoping with a 10’packnof persimmon seedlings I’ll get what need and cut the rest or not. The nursery in Tennille where I sourced the chestnuts said groups of 3-5 30 foot spacing

With pecans it’s usually like 30 x60 with pollinators at one end or the other on each row or evwry 5th tree every 5th row etc- and since pines and pecans is what i “know” I use pecans as a comparison or reference point typically with my hardwood care.
I think as long as your within 50 yards of a pollen source your good to go - it might be easier/ will
Be faster to just buy a known female 7 gallon tree and put it where you want it.

I’d definitely top work a nice tree so it has a couple male main branches and a couple female main branch’s just for the love of doing it

snooker1

love our lease but going to bite the bullet and buy some land thinking around 100 acres.
Been working on this for 2 years now, 3 different times I have been outbid (over asking price) buy companies. I am not giving up I will get my own land. This is the number (1) thing on my bucket list, not so much for me but to give to my son so he and his children will have their own place.

snooker1

Looking for a chest rig for my binoculars and rangefinder. I have seen a few but haven't found the right one.

Lilly001

My grandson gave me an insulated Drake coat for Christmas.
I’m gonna get me the matching insulated bib overalls.
They make great stuff.
I have a jacket of theirs that is my “cold weather” jacket.
I look forward to cold weather days on the stand to wear it.
It’s comfortable without being bulky.
And it is the warmest jacket I own.

Mac

Added another 25 fruit trees to the existing orchards on 60 Acres I own in Al, chambers (12 years) and Cleburne (3 years) counties. Hoping to get a small pond this year, met with a contractor yesterday. As stated above improving your property is fun.

I am still in a GA club but my focus is AL.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I never could get deer to eat out of the troughs I built. Abandoned them in place.
I just deleted pics of deer eating out of these. Funny how different areas deer act differently.
Going to go fill up 2 I built for a club down the road. We fill them while they are gone.

MAPSTRE

I 'll probably look into a rotary tiller for the tractor. They work better than a disc harrow.

Lilly001

I 'll probably look into a rotary tiller for the tractor. They work better than a disc harrow.
Let us know when you do.
I’ve been looking at them also.
I have a nice heavy Browns disc and it works well but it takes at least 2 passes on unbroken ground.
I’m thinking a tiller would be easier and quicker.

kingfish

Just took delivery of a Millennium Tree Seat. Next season starts my slow deliberate transition to hunting from the ground as much as I can.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
That’s what I’m talking bout !!! Mine will probably be of the metal kind ( only cause I can use scrap from work ) what’s trough height and roof height?
The legs to the roof are 6’. The trough about 32 to the top. The roof is 6 by 6 trough about 5’6” long. I put the tin on the ends to stop the rain that way. I also do a 3’8 about square tge same way open around it with the 6’ roof.