Last 7 days have been ROUGH.

Dub

Good morning Everyone.

Enjoyed my first cup this morning and about to go pour a second.

First day off after the past four workdays, each 14+hrs.

Too old for this work stuff. Not age old, but groany joints old.

It has been a tough, tough last 7 days.

This past Wednesday was the third anniversary of my wife’s passing.

27 years of wonderful marriage.

I miss Laurie terribly and I hold my head up and looking forward to the day when I join her. Will live to the fullest, but will be glad to be with her when God decides that it is time…..whenever that is.
Image 1520.jpeg

Image 1511.jpeg

Last Friday morning my son and I took Molly, the oldest of our two four-legged family members to the vet where she was put to sleep.

14 years of blessings to my family, but her hip pains and lack of tolerance to the various meds were prevailing factors in me fulfilling my responsibility to her to let her ease into a permanent nap and be free from pain.

Molly was my buddy velcroed to me whenever I was home.

She was hugely fond of her boy and her momma, too.

Molly with us on a July 4th several years ago:
Image 1502.jpeg

Enjoying special time with her Momma….my sweet wife.
Image 1573.jpeg

Molly & Helen in their Momma’s lap when my wife was deep in the battle with cancer.

IMG_5659.jpeg

They never left her side. Helen demanded to be in bed with my wife after Laurie took her last breaths.

Molly & Helen sitting in my lap. They’d just heard something from upstairs and went on alert.

House was empty, save the dogs and I.
My wife had passed months prior.

They’d often perk up like this and seem to be dialed into something I couldn’t see. Focused on the foyer where my bride would enter and knock me senseless with her big smiles.
IMG_3443.jpeg

It was very comforting to me. Words are inadequate to describe the peaceful feeling when they would tune into something unseen.

The girls chilling in the dog bed that is now covered by my reloading bench.
IMG_3444.jpeg

They’d slumber while I was seated at the bench.

Helen, the youngest, became very sick 1.5 yrs after my wife’s passing. Diabetes and ultimately blindness. My Son and I were at her side when she was put to sleep.

My son had long since moved out.

It was just the dogs and me the past couple years.

Now it is just me.

Me.... is about to knock out this second cup of coffee, grab a shower and head over to the vet’s office to pick up Molly’s ashes.

They will be in an urn that will sit on the mantle right beside Helen’s.

My son is clear on my wishes for those urns to be placed in my casket prior to my burial beside my wife….in addition to any other ashes of future dogs that I may go on to be blessed with their full lifespan.

I can’t add a puppy now while I am working, but in a few years when I retire, I will be adding a puppy….and perhaps a year later a second. Active dogs that will be part of an active retirement.

I get to stick around and watch my son grow and develop.

Now, at 24, he is crushing it.

Little joker is closing on his first home next week. He is making a pile of money and loves his work.

He has his Momma’s sharp mind and determination. He has my tenacity.

There is no quit in him.

I am smitten with his current girlfriend….as are his grandparents and Aunt.

She is an amazing young lady with unbelievable artistic abilities and a drive to succeed. As my wife would say, she may be The One. :)

Time will tell.

I am grateful for a life spent with the love of my life and our little furry family.
I am grateful for the time seeing our son flourish and take on the adult world.

God has been gracious.

Each day is a blessing.

It isn’t always easy…..but it is a blessing.

Tough times......but the wonderful memories and promise of glorious tomorrows keep the wind in my sails.

Hang in there folks.

All I can advise is to hang in there and have frequent conversions with God.
Easter was a riveting reminder that Jesus Christ was there for us and endured for us. He showed us how to continue.

Never quit.

Never tap out.

Stand, head up, take a step forward....then another.....feel the sunlight's warmth and the coolness of a breeze and know that life is a precious gift and Glory awaits.

Much love and respect to my GON friends.

Ya'll have a great weekend and hug yer family members often and long....two-legged & four-legged. Hug 'em and let them know you love them.

fatback

May God’s blessing be on you as you navigate the path before you. Having lost my wife in 2007 I would be lying to you if I told you it gets easy but with the passage of time the sharpness of the pain of loss has become blunted some and I am able to fondly recall many of our great memories. However, there are still times when the pain of the loss is as fresh as ever, especially now that my daughters are grown and as they reach life’s milestones that I know she would have been so proud of and happy about my happiness and pride is tinged with the pain of knowing that she isn’t there in person to experience those emotions with me. Thanks for sharing and hopefully the road gets more manageable for you as time passes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Dub, I've thought about you a lot the last couple years. I can't even imagine. Hang in there, brother. Sometimes life buoys us up, sometimes it stomps us flat. But, it is still a great and amazing journey.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Sir @Dub you have my prayers and understanding.
I lost my oldest son when he was 24. It has been almost 18 years now and I think of him daily.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Very heart felt post as tears flow down my face. My thoughts and prayers continue for you and your family. You are the sweetest person that I've never met. I have enjoyed all of your post on this forum. Keep the Faith brother. You got this. I know you are proud for T-Rex. Sounds like he's got this thing called life figured out.:clap:

specialk

I mimic your situation so much, lost my wife of 34yrs in 2021 then my dad in 2022 then had my fur baby of 15yrs put down last year, we discussed our wives love of lady Di if you remember.....my son works in my business with me that my father started many years ago....we've really had to lean on each other the past few years..... We take comfort knowing we will be together with them one day and just take each day as it comes... I think of you often....hang in there!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
@Dub Though we have never met I think of you often. I pray for God’s peace to come to you. You sure have a handle on what counts in our lives. Life is fleeting, cling to it. Hang in there sir.

I to had to put down an old friend recently. When my Mom passed her little dog came to live with us. When she began to suffer I had to have her put to rest. Losing that living connection to my Mom was hard. Here she is eyeballing those mischievous squirrels out back. God bless you and keep you sir.

IMG_1171.jpeg