What Have You Used!!

blt152

I've only caught fox and coyotes myself on commercial baits. I read on a trappers page I belong to on Facebook where a guy is using the bacon flavored dog treat Beggin Strips. The guy is really wearing them out this year.

Dusty Roads

Mackeral/Dollar Tree/$1 can and +great for your outdoor dogs about 1 can every 4 days
NOT for indoor dogs!

jcdona

Scoop up any fresh scat you see in the woods and use it in your sets. All canines are attracted to it. I've even carried some of my difs poop out there and ysed.

Koltan

That’s what I need to do. How is the store bought bait preserved? The stuff I’m using looks like lightly ground meat and guts of some sort. Someone told me it’s usually bobcat. Is this true?
usually with glycerin to stop meat based products from spoiling further.

Koltan

I have caught 11 coyotes since Jan 26t, using A variety of different gland lures and baits. They are definitely running right now. I like Dunlap death coyote gland lure. Hawbakers red fox gland. Mark June’s coyote frenzy.

Koltan

c4a6404b-0a9a-4725-953c-ae176196911d-jpeg.1003299

Attachments

• C4A6404B-0A9A-4725-953C-AE176196911D.jpeg
    C4A6404B-0A9A-4725-953C-AE176196911D.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 50

Big7

The Oracle
I haven't trapped anything with steel traps in a loonnnggg time. Have done a little in cage traps for nuisance animals.

So... Here's what I did. Worked good.

Find a good tree just inside the wood line far enough in they feel comfortable feeding.

Take staple gun, fence staples, cordage or whatever you feel comfortable with hanging a deer hide ( half it if you want for 2 sets.

Fix deer hide with fur side on the tree, skin side facing out. Hang hide up 4 1/2 to 5 feet, tie or staple it tight to the tree so they can't yank it off in one bite/pull. Hide needs to STAY ON THE TREE. This is key for this method to work.

Then put as many traps you want or have around the bottom of the tree. If you have a bunch of traps, put the hole sets in rings around the tree.

The concept is to get the yotes to jump high thinking they will get the hide to to eat.
Looking up at the hide, with enough traps, the yotes will eventually get a foot in one of the traps.

The concept of using "rings" will not only give you more "chances" of a catch, you may very well may catch multiple animals..

They WON'T leave that deer hide unless something "spooks" them. That's why it has to be tightly secured to the tree.

280 Man

Banned
Sounds like a good idea with the deer hide but I wouldn't want to commit that many traps to one set but I guess "one" has to decide on how many traps a coyote is worth

Koltan

One set that has produced well for me,
1) dig a hole as deep as you can. Make sure the sides are strait down
2) I place four traps around the hole @ 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00. I keep my traps 15-18inches from the hole.
3) fill your hole up with goodies of your choice. I use dead chickens mostly. Try to keep you bait several inches from the top of the hole.
4) cover bait and traps with pine straw, or loose grass

The idea is the coyotes will stretch as far as they can to reach in the hole. And if you don’t catch him the first time, he will be back for another free meal.

I caught this one last week doing exactly that
A9D3185E-306F-4E96-85B0-FC68E6D73B36.jpg

CurLee

Great thread guys. I found a hollowed out poplar on a ditch bank with a cavernous hole at the bottom. I threw a muscovy carcass in the hole and set a single Bridger #2 as close as I could (lots of holes around the decomposing roots), and set some sticks as guides. Something, prolly coon, fished it out and ate it up nearby. Pulled another carcass from the freezer and beefed up my "guides". We'll see if I connect....