anyone want to trap some coons?

bilgerat

Senior
any body around Monticello want to trap some coons over the next few weeks, them little suckers have taken over My feeder, Just outside Monticello and a short 100 yard walk from the gate. Pm me if interested

Attachments

• coons.jpg
    coons.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 13
  • oon2.jpg
    oon2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 15

280 Man

Banned
any body around Monticello want to trap some coons over the next few weeks, them little suckers have taken over My feeder, Just outside Monticello and a short 100 yard walk from the gate. Pm me if interested

Go buy yourself a couple of Hav-a-heart cage traps, set them, shoot the prisoners, reset and do all over again. It won't take long to get a grip on the problem.

bilgerat

Senior
Go buy yourself a couple of Hav-a-heart cage traps, set them, shoot the prisoners, reset and do all over again. It won't take long to get a grip on the problem.
I would but I live 2+ hours away and only get down every other weekend to fill the feeder. little bandit would be kinda ripe before I got back to dispose of his corpse

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
shushhhhhh! lol, I don't trap so I don't know the seasons, I just know these corn thieves gotta go!
Yeah that’s the best thing to do shhhhhh! They are pretty easy to catch , a couple walk in live traps set up near feeder with something they like better than corn will thin them in a hurry

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
In SC depredation trapping is legal but any animal caught must be destroyed. They cannot be relocated.. I wouldn't relocate "my problem" any where else even if it was legal.
You’d have a hard time getting a depredation permit for them eating out of a feeder in the woods !

280 Man

Banned
You’d have a hard time getting a depredation permit for them eating out of a feeder in the woods !

Depredation permits may be issued at any time of the year by the SCDNR for the taking of furbearing animals that are destroying or damaging private or public property, wildlife habitat, game species, timber, crops, or other agriculture so as to be a nuisance, or for scientific, research, or for wildlife management purposes. There is no cost for this permit. Animals captured under a depredation permit may not be relocated, sold, traded, exchanged, or bartered.

furtaker

For what cages cost you may be right. My neighbor caught 10-12 coons last year in two cage traps! Imo thats pretty efficient.
In my experience coons get wise to cage traps after seeing a couple of their buddies locked up. Plus you can buy several dog proofs for the price of one cage trap.

A half dozen dog proofs around a feeder will flat wear them out.

sleepr71

You can’t (LEGALLY) do anything about them...until Furbearer season resumes! Only alternative is to Rig up some kind of electric fence around that feeder,or stop feeding them? I’ve see a few people put 12v solar powered 4’high Electric fences Around feeders. Wires start 3 inches off the ground & are spaced at every 4 inches. Every wire is HOT. Otherwise...you’re wasting the effort! Deer can easily clear 4’ so the deer still get to the feed. Lot of work & IMO...it’s just easier to put up with the Coons stealing some feed?

donblfihu

Do I need a trapping license to remove the coons at the feeder, I'm not going to sell them.