"The Official Report on "The Mini-Me Classic"

Cletus T.

Well…I’ve got to say that the first annual “Mini-Me Classic” was a big success. Did we catch a 10-pound largemouth? NO……Did we catch a ton of Bass? NO……..Did we have a great time with our kids? YES WE DID!! We had 6 boats and a hand full of bank fishermen too. The weather was great even though we did go through a few sprinkles on the way over to Tribble Mill. Hunter Jack has been talking about Tribble Mill for the weeks leading up to this tourney but he has been calling it a pretty funny name. He calls it “Trouble” Mill which…with the tough fishing over there is kind of fitting. We get there and there are a few boats on the water and I see Brine putting the finishing touches on his boat and getting his gear ready and he looked like he was ready to lay the smack down on a Tribble Mill bass. I went around to the back end to drop off the grill and the rest of “the stuff”. It’s amazing how much stuff you need when trying to put one of these things on. And BTW…..I want to stop right now and give a big ole THANK YOU to my Wife. She did so much for this thing and most folks wouldn’t even know it. She designed the logo and made all the goodie bags and stayed out there at the pavilion to make sure all our stuff was safe and sound as we fished. She sat in the cool damp weather to fend off any goodie bag snatchers. Also….a big THANK YOU to Trickworm as well, he helped get my grill out of the back of my truck and we wheeled it over to the pavilion. I appreciate everything you did to help! So we get everything dropped off and I get back over to the ramp and try to slide my boat into the water. Key word here folks is “TRY”…….I had a very late night the night before trying to get everything ready and I wasn’t on top of my game so I had a little struggle getting the boat lined up properly and I almost…..now I stress almost…….backed the boat into the water with it still strapped to the trailer. I came to my senses and put the brakes on and took the straps off. We had 6 boats blast off right at 8 a.m. and we set out in search of some lunkers.

Me and Hunter Jack set out and right away I notice the thick thick grass that seems to be everywhere. I mean it was so thick that I could hardly get the trolling motor through some of it. We get to out first spot and I can’t throw half of what I got rigged up. So I start throwing the frog and get a couple of blow ups but no hook ups. Hunter is having a hard time working his Senko and getting a little frustrated so he starts playing with the lily pads and hoping around the boat. We move a few times and the fog started rolling in and it actually looked pretty neat and me and Hunter just sat there for a little while and watch the fog roll down the lake. We made another move and I started throwing the frog again and all the sudden somebody flushed the toilet …….meaning……I had a massive explosion on my frog and I waited to set the hook and when I did I made a good connection to the inside of the bass’s mouth. It bogged down in the pads and grass and I looked over at Hunter Jack and I said we got to go in after her….he looked right back at me and said “Let’s Go get that fish Daddy”…so we get to weed eating and cutting through the pads to try and get to my fish. I got up to where I felt her and tried to reel up a little slack and I had kept good pressure on her the whole fight but as I got right up on it…the line went slack and I knew she had gotten away. So I turned around to tell Hunter that I had lost the fish and there was Hunter standing with the net …..though the net wasn’t exactly in his hand ready to scoop the fish….he had the net around his head……for a split second I was going to get made but he looked so darn funny that we both just busted out laughing. It was priceless!!

So we head towards the dam and as we do I come across Brine and his boy and we make small talk and ask about how each one has done and he said they had lost a 14- incher right at the boat. So we mozzy on over and I hear Brine shout “Hey Cletus” and I turn around and see him lipping a 14-incher. It fired me up because….YES…there was fish in this lake! I run the boat up on the bank and Hunter Jack makes a b-line towards the playground. Trickworm and his boy soon follow and the others start rolling in as well. So everybody is waiting for someone to come to the scales with an 8-pounder and here comes Brine and as he lifts his top to his livewell he has to use both hands to wrap his hands around this lunker. He let’s out a tuff grunt and hoist up a 15 oz bass. He reaches in and pulls out another lunker that pulls the scales down to 14 oz. and that right there folks is your WINNER!! Fishdog and his son caught about 4-5 fish but they were all short and they pulled in second place and the Poor Poor Fisherman and his grandsons came in 3rd with one fish. My boat was a big fat zero as was Trickworms and also Cameron. We had a great time getting to meet other WOODY’s folks and see our kids play with each other. I hope everybody had a good time and I know the number was a little down from what we thought might show up but we still had a great turn out in my eyes. Every kid came away with prizes and goodie bags and every Dad / Granddad came away with something too. I would like to thank Gwinnett County Park and Rec for allowing us to have this event at Tribble Mill. I would like to thank Fortner Taxidermy for Donating the Fish Mount for a kid. I would like to thank GON for donating the hats for some of our prizes and also Bass Pro Shops for donating hats, gift cards and other fishing goodies.

Folks……..this was a quality event and this could be the start of something very very special. For all those that helped I truly THANK YOU! The “Mini-Me Classic” will be back….though the time of year and the venue might change…… but we got plenty of time to figure that all out. I hope yall enjoy the write up and the pictures!

ENJOY !!!!!

Attachments

• 100_7235.jpg
    100_7235.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 634
  • 100_7230.jpg
    100_7230.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 644
  • 100_7234.jpg
    100_7234.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 628
  • 100_7233.jpg
    100_7233.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 634
  • 100_7238.jpg
    100_7238.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 624
  • Brine.JPG
    Brine.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 625
  • boys.JPG
    boys.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 619
  • allboys.JPG
    allboys.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 637

Marks500

Looks like you all had fun....Sorry I didnt make it... Had to fish Jackson tournament.

trickworm

Man o man that was a great day . I know my boy The Brim Slayer had a good time.As he fell asleep on the way home. And as we arived at the homestead he awoke and asked me . Daddy can we go fishin some more . We took a quick two hour nap . and them we grabbed the bag of goody from the Mini Me Classic and headed to our home waters and did some Brim slayen . I just want to say a big THANKS to Cletus T and his wife for doing all they did to pull this event off . It was a great day and hope we can do this again . And a big ole thanks to Chef for the food . Sorry ya had to miss it

Last edited:

Blessed2Day

Great Job!!

As you get older very few people think that they should have spent more time working, most regret not spending more quality & quantity time with their families. There is nothing better than taking your kids fishing and hunting, helping them see God's creation. You done good, Son!

Wish I could have been there!

olcaptain

Great write up and pictures! I want to thank all of you folks for thinking of my family as well!

Come see us!

Poor Poor Fisherman

Mini Me Classic

Two of my grandsons and son-in-laws and I attended the Mini Me Classic on Saturday. We fished from the bank. I now wish I had brought my boat since there was plenty of room in the parking lot.

We boys ALL had a wonderful time. It was mainly just a lot of fun hanging out together and trying our hand at fishing a new lake. And, it is an absolutely beautiful park! So, we are definitely glad we attended. Cletus and his wife (so sorry, I cannot remember her name) did a sensational job on everything. I want to personally thank both for all they did!! It is obvious that a lot of effort was done behind the scenes to get this organized and then a lot of work was done at that park itself on Saturday. We were just sorry that we ran ou to time and Cletus didn't have a chance to sing. That was really the only negative ............. but everything else was just great.

Attached are three pic's. One is my 9 year old grandson with a small catch. He was very proud!! It is not always the size of the catch. Sometimes, it is all about just catching fish. The next is of my two grandchildren and their fathers. The last is our organizing team -- Cletus and his obvious better half ..... Cletus definitely married up.

Cletus ..... Sorry about the Dawgs. We all feel your pain!

Let's do it again!!

Attachments

• Mitchell.jpg
    Mitchell.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 446
  • Fisherman.jpg
    Fisherman.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 451
  • The Buices.jpg
    The Buices.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 441

fishdog

good time

Thanks for all the hard work Cletus and please tell your wife as well. Phillip is asking when the next one is going to be, that should be our measure for sucssess not by the amount of fish. When the next one is planned count us in.

Scott

Cletus T.

Hey....It was our pleasure putting this thing on but we couldn't have done it without the help from some of the fine members that are on here @ Woody's......yall know who I'm talking about!!!!

I got some other great pictures of you and your boy Trickworm as well as you and your son too Fishdog. They were taking with my Wife's camera and for some reason the file is too big........I'll scale them down and post those as well. Your right fishdog......the measure of sucess for this thing should not be measured by the number of fish but the number of smiles on the kid's faces.

I don't know about you......but....I saw a lot of smiles this past Sat.

Thanks again for showing up and we look forward to the "The Mini-Me Classic # 2"

urack8ball

Kudos to all of ya !!!! Cletus T. way put one together, hope to get my boy up there one day....
Keep em fishing...that way you know where they are.

Cletus T.

Bringing this back to the top since we are gearing up for the 2010 version of the Mini-Me!

Come on and Join us!!!!!!