Morning of PBs and a soft shell turtle on a bull shad

Dupree

Took my 13yr old son and one of his buddies fishing this morning. His buddy has only ever bank fished in small ponds so bigger water from a boat was a whole new experience. He caught the first fish of the morning, and after we took a pic and turned it loose he said that was most likely his biggest bass he had ever caught.

We fished around and caught a few more and he said he was gonna start throwing top water again. I rolled my eyes and said okay. Two casts later he landed for sure his personal best bass.

About an hour later he asked if he could throw my rod that had a 6” bull shad on it. I figured we were 100 yards from the bank, and I’ve never come across any structure where we were at that he could get it hung on and told him sure. Well he bows up and says he has one. Then said he was hung, then said “no, it’s moving”. I took the rod from him to see if what was on the line was a fish or something he snagged. I could feel it moving and told him “it’s not a bass, but most likely a big catfish that doesn’t even realize it’s hooked”. I gave him the rod back and I couldn’t believe it when he pulled up the soft shell turtle. It had a set of treble hooks inside its mouth, so I’m assuming it tried to eat it. Took me about 10 minutes to get it unhooked to get that high dollar bait back.

Here’s a few pics, I covered his face as I don’t see it fit to post someone else’s kid on the Internet. IMG_0096.jpegIMG_0081.jpegIMG_0097.jpegIMG_0088.jpegIMG_0094.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Heck yeah , a trip he want soon forget . Good for you getting him on the water ! Nice bass to

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Good stuff right there!

Latest posts