2 stage triggers

rmp

For 2-stage, which is my preference anymore, I’ve owned a few different ones. Some in multiples.

Timney Calvin Elite is the least favorite of mine. They work but not as clean and has too springy of a feel if that makes sense. Had 2 of those and both were so-so IMO. Bix & Andy is my current favorite and I have a few. Tac Sport or Tac Sport Pro depending on how light you want to go. LOTS of adjustments including the shoe if so inclined. Geissele Super 700 is a close second but they’re tough to find because they were discontinued for a while. Not sure if they started production again.

If I were looking to get into a 2-stage on a 700 or clone, I’d go straight to the B&A Tac Sport. I can send you one to try if you’d like.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I haven't tried a 2 stage on my 700s. I do have one on a Ruger, Springfield and most MSRs I have.

Trigger Tech makes one too...don't know how it compares to rmp's recommendation.

Reactions: rmp

rmp

I’ve no doubt they make a quality product Jester just never tried one.

Another benefit of the Bix is different height top sears available in addition to being able to change the shoe. I’ll try a TT 2-stage one day just to see, but B&A has a lot going for them. About to order another.

bighonkinjeep

Not sure why anybody would want a 2 stage on a 700?
Back in the day we were all trying to file the humps off of milsups, cleaning up sears, changing springs and tuning trying to get a nice single stage.
On a modern bolt gun I want the first little pressure/motion to send it as soon as the crosshairs are on the spot. I dont like holding pressure on the trigger while the crosshairs dance around across the intended target and most folks find it counterproductive to accuracy.
You do you, but I find a.well adjusted single stage with a light pull, no creep and minimal overtravel to be far preferable on a bolt gun.

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

What is your preference on pull weight for “first little pressure”?
Anything between 1 1/2 - 2 1/2# that breaks crisp like a glass rod is a heckuva lot lighter than most people realize and much lighter than most factory settings. For me thats perfect on a hunting rifle. Hard to get that with most old milsups but most modern bolt guns have factory units that can be safely cleaned up really nice at around 2#. To me lack of pre travel (creep) and a crisp release with a reasonable pull weight is far preferable to lighter with pretravel which is often described as creep or mush before the sear trips.

rmp

That’s quite a bit of information and a LOT more pull weight than I was expecting for first little pressure.

The OP never stated his intended purpose.

I gave personal experience on the question at hand but since he started another thread, this one can go into the weeds. ;)

A TacSport Pro can be adjusted down to 3.5oz combined across both stages. One of mine is 1.5oz first stage and 5.0oz on the second. So yeah, you’re putting substantially more pressure on the shoe. An 8oz first stage and 1lb second is about right for hunting IMO, but have left some at their factory setting. I prefer a distinct wall at the second stage.

I don’t think “most” find it counterproductive to accuracy or precision considering how few have even tried any 2-stage on a bolt gun and it’s easy to tell who hasn’t. I can say assuredly it’s 100% personal preference and you confirm that in your last post. We like what we like!

Several of my day-to-day rifles are used as demo’s for people to see what they like. Many want the upgrade but don’t want to spend the money…or their rifle won’t accommodate. Come to think of it, I’ve never removed a 2-stage to switch back to a single on anyone’s rifle. I have however pulled two Jewell’s of my own including a 2oz BR version. Talk about creep. It wasn’t awful but I couldn’t get past it. The second stage on a B&A is amazing and far exceeds any Jewell I’ve tried. YMMV.

Jester896

Senior Clown
my friend was able to get the little creep the Jewell I use had in it. I still don't feel any now that it is in my Dasher @ 4oz.

I can print a .25MOA group with the 2 stage in my Ruger that hunt with...still set on the factory settings. I am not sure it would be any more accurate with a singe stage. I can manage a .57 with my M1A with 168 FGMM and it has open sights. I will say the trigger isn't factory H&R but it is H&R.

Reactions: rmp

rmp

Maybe I gave up too soon on the Jewell’s but just wasn’t happy. My expectations could’ve been too high given their reputation. The vendor I bought mine from dropped them in favor of TT and B&A. We had a lengthy talk later which is where I learned about Jewell blueprinting services. Plus, there wasn’t much on the market to compare at that point in time. Oh well, Too little too late.
Glad yours is performing well.

Just a side note… I should have another 6BRA finished for a friend next weekend and mine hopefully by mid July. Work schedule permitting of course.