20 gauge for deer?

billy62green

I've got an older model Springfield (Savage) pump action, with a bead sight only, 20 gauge that is one of those shotguns that for whatever reason, is just jam up accuracy wise shooting rifled slugs, especially Remington Sluggers. Pie plates and even soda cans are no problem and I would feel comfortable putting a slug from this gun where I wanted it at least out to 50 yards. It is a full choke gun which is even stranger since everything I have read about rifled slugs indicate they are usually better out of improved cylinder. Also, with my eyes, I can pick up a target with the bead sight better that looking down a rifle front/rear sights without a scope. One of the places I hunt is a swampy area loaded with tangled vines, brush, etc, where a shot past 50 yards (most would be probably 30 yds or less) would not happen until later in the year when we start losing some leaves and vegetation. Buckshot from a 20 gauge, though legal, is not on the table for me for deer hunting, I wouldn't try it, unless the deer is maybe 10 ft or less away, so slugs is all I would carry in the gun hunting. Many years ago, in my younger years, I got a deer with a 20 gauge slug, mainly because it was all I had in hand to take at the time and also luckily the deer was only about 45 ft away when I shot it. My questions are, does anyone else out there regularly use a 20 ga deer hunting? What are ya'lls thoughts on it, take it some hunting, or leave it on the rack at home and take something with a little more horsepower, like a 12 ga or deer rifle only? And finally, what, if any effect would the slug have on that full choke with usage over time-is it completely safe for me and the gun?

leoparddog

If yours has been shot with slugs and they shoot well for you, I wouldn't change. I also think 20g is fine for deer out to 50 yards or as far as you can hit with it. That 20g slug is still a pretty hefty chunk of lead more than comparible to a muzzleloader

billy62green

That's what I was thinking, that .20 ga slug is a big piece of lead hitting something. It would not be my main hunting gun, but I like to mix things up during the season, and I thought it would be a good fit for that brushy swampy area early in the season; wouldn't have to even worry about a longer than 50 yard shot there. I can't get that full choke out of my mind with it though. Funny how different shotguns seem to have almost their own personality about slugs and accuracy.

frankwright

If you can hit the deer in the right spot at 50 or 75 yards with your 20 ga it will do the job.

I have a NEF Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga with a fully rifled barrel and it will easily drop a deer at 150 yards.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What you are shooting is basically a .62 caliber rifle, and yes, it will knock the stuffing out of a deer.

GunnSmokeer

ditto

I have a smoothbore slug barrel for my 20-gauge shotgun.

I've fired 7/8 ounce slugs, and gotten good groups at 25 yards. Based on my 3" groups at 25 yards, I think I'd be good to 75 yards or even 100 yards if I knew how much drop there would be.

Teminal ballistics? You've got nearly an ounce of lead-- about 400 grains-- over .60 caliber in size, moving at 1300 or 1400 f.p.s. velocity at the muzzle. That's strong medicine. Should have plenty of penetration, and make a big wound channel along the way.

One thing I don't know about: brush-bucking abilities. Even a bit fat heavy slug light this may be deflected by twigs and weeds and small tree limbs between your barrel and the animal. How much? I have no clue. One day I'd like to do some testing, but I haven't yet.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had a buddy that used his A5 with 12 gage slugs out of its full choke barrel for 20 years or more.

By the way a 12 gage full choke barrel will not allow a dime go in the end of the barrel.

gt40

billy62green

The 20ga remington buckhammer slugs are easily good to go at 100yds for deer.
Are Buckhammers good for smoothbore as well as rifled shotguns?
Also I heard somewhere Remington is no longer making the Buckhammers. Is this true and is so did they replace with with some sort of similar slug under a different name?

Nascar Nutt

Banned

Killed the doe with my 20ga Benelli M2 with buckshot. She only ran 50yrs. I have done it before and with do it again. Love hunting anything with my 20ga.

HossBog

If accurate to 50 yards, yes. My Remington 870 20 gauge slings slugs with improved cylinder choke about as accurate as if I slung a few from me hand! Cain't hit a thing with it! Now, my Browning Sweet Sixteen modified, yep, that thing is accurate! I'd shoot yours out to about 50. Don't want to go too far though.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
20 ga Mossberg 500 with remington sluggers killed my first deer and my buddies first deer. 4x scope on it and it's fine from 0 to 75 yards.