2018 Falcons Julio Jones No Show June Camp, Shows mid-July Cal. Passing Camp

BornToHuntAndFish

i

*** See Update for July below June update.

*** Current Question: Will Julio Jones show up for late July Camp???

Previous June 11th Thread Title - "Julio Jones Not Attending Falcons’ Mandatory Mini-camp - June 2018"

Even if we do not care much for the NFL & in case you did not hear the latest news today, the Atlanta Falcons' situation with Julio Jones is getting more challenging for management.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/...io-Jones/2173e233-a62e-4220-af45-bb2c58e66ce9
Falcons release statement on Julio Jones

Posted 1 hour ago

OR

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football...s-mandatory-mini-camp/JA9f5OTmnxCHqkMzZNC2vL/

Julio Jones to skip Falcons’ mandatory mini-camp

1 hour ago

Jones is not happy with his contract as the market shifted over the offseason with deals signed by Tampa Bay’s Mike Evans, Cleveland’s Jarvis Landry and Kansas City’s Sammy Watkins.

Jones signed a five-year, $71.2 million contract extension Aug. 31, 2015. The deal included $47 million in guaranteed money, with base salaries of $10.5 million (2018), $12.5 million (2019) and $11.4 million (2020). He’s set to be the seventh-highest paid wide receiver in the league, but has three years remaining on the deal.

Landry landed a five-year, $75-million deal with Cleveland, Evans signed a five-year, $82.5 million deal with Tampa Bay and Watkins signed a three-year, $48 million deal with Kansas City.

Also, the wide receiver market figures to continue to surge, with deals for New York Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr., Houston’s DeAndre Hopkins and Cincinnati’s A.J. Green on the horizon.

Helmets1_KL_151217_falcons_practice_0253.jpg

AND

*** July Update below . . .

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/look-several-players-join-matt-ryan-for-falcons-passing-camp

LOOK: Several players join Matt Ryan for Falcons’ passing camp

Monday, July 16, 2018

It appears this year’s passing camp is underway in California with the following players in attendance: Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage, Eric Saubert, Reggie Davis, Marvin Hall, Mohamed Sanu, Justin Hardy, Austin Hooper and Ryan.

DiQfsLBU8AETXPU.jpg

Falcons highlight tweets:

19 July 2018

Players report for Training Camp one week from today!

19 July 2018

7 Thursdays away from kickoff . . .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...promise-julio-jones-to-talk-deal-after-season

Falcons promise Julio Jones to talk deal after season

With the news that the team won't give Jones a pay raise, the question is whether the wideout will attend training camp when Falcons veterans report July 26

The man voted the No. 4 overall NFL player by his peers in NFL Network's Top 100 players of 2018 is on a contract that averages $14.25 million per season, eighth highest among receivers.

If Jones decides he needs to be paid now, skipping camp, preseason and eventually regular season games is his only method to pressure Atlanta. We'll know in a week whether the superstar wideout is willing to employ that little-used strategy.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...er-julio-jones-new-contract-according-sources

Falcons not giving Julio Jones contract extension

Atlanta Falcons informed Pro Bowl wide receiver Julio Jones last month that they would not give him a contract extension this season

Falcons report to training camp next Thursday, and the hope is Jones will report. The first practice is next Friday at 9:20 a.m.

Jones' average of $14.25 million per year, based on the five-year extension, stands ninth among NFL wide receivers. He was pushed down a slot this week when Brandin Cooks of the Los Angeles Rams signed a five-year extension worth $16 million per year. Antonio Brown of the Pittsburgh Steelers leads all receivers at $17 million per year.

In terms of guaranteed money, Mike Evans of Tampa Bay tops all receivers at more than $55 million, followed by Houston's DeAndre Hopkins with $49 million and Jones and Cleveland's Jarvis Landry at $47 million.

:pop:

Last edited:

Duff

So he signed a contract 3 years ago and now WR’s that signed a more recent contract are getting paid more than him. And he wants more.

Negative ghost rider. Sit your tail and lose the money would be my reply. Should have thought about that when you signed the long term deal guaranteeing you security.

brownceluse

So he signed a contract 3 years ago and now WR’s that signed a more recent contract are getting paid more than him. And he wants more.

Negative ghost rider. Sit your tail and lose the money would be my reply. Should have thought about that when you signed the long term deal guaranteeing you security.

Shows hhow stupid he is with a big dose of entitlement. Cut his pay for every second he misses anything.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
He has been hanging out with Terrell Owens. Hang around poop and you will get some on you. Market has changed for W/R and I don't blame him for wanting more money.

He told everyone that he would be in camp. A mans word should be worth something. Not his...……………………….His star has lost a little twinkle.

TinKnocker

After the dismal season he had last year and he’s always injured for a period of time. No way they should re-work his contract, especially since it has three years left!!
The only players on field for a higher percentage of the snap count are linemen. So other than trench players and the QB, no one is on field more than Julio.

Not bad for someone who is "always injured".

Duff

The only players on field for a higher percentage of the snap count are linemen. So other than trench players and the QB, no one is on field more than Julio.

Not bad for someone who is "always injured".

That leaves another WR and 2 RB’s that split time.

Either way, if he was on the field that much, he should have scored more than 3 TD’s

Tmpr111

They'd better sign him, or go make ripples and sign OBJ.. OR someone. Ole Fat wallet Matty may have a hard time justifying all that money without a top 5 talent at each position around him.

TinKnocker

Snaps are great yes, BUT when you’re one of the highest paid players on the team and you only have 3 TD’s in a whole season... come one now!
Agreed, he definitely had production issues. But your point wasn’t production, your point was injuries. When a player is on field for 75% of the snaps, injuries aren’t the issue.

Plenty of reasons for the Falcons NOT to renegotiate right now, but injuries ain’t one of em.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
He has three more years left on his contract.

If he doesn't want to fulfill his contract, I'd be happy if he was barred from playing in the NFL for three more years.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
What ever happened to, When you sign a contract, you uphold your end. So old Julio is jealous that someone is making more than him. That's life Julio, too bad you learned nothing while attending college.

FootLongDawg

All started when the Falcons took two WR's in the recent draft. The popular opinion at the time was the Falcons had other pressing needs. He is butt hurt. One of two things will happen. The Falcons will give him more money (probably this), or it will all over as Julio a Falcon. Money aside, when healthy and on his game, he simply cannot be single covered and a lot of times can beat double coverage. Going to be interesting.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Another reason I don't watch pro football.

westcobbdog

Sarkesian sucks at getting Julio the ball but 3 TDS and 3 years to go on a contract and you hold out? Conversely, the team can cut you at any moment with no further pay due so it goes both ways...

tcward

You are right....we don’t care. Doesn’t matter to me if they ever snap the ball again.

DannyW

Trade him. I said this last year and the people I was speaking to looked at me like I had just called the Virgin Mary a hooker....they were shocked.

A great player but the typical Julio produces 2-3 off the chart performances every year, and for the rest of the games he is either hurt or double-teamed. He is 29 years old and entering the 2nd half of his career where injuries become more frequent and players start losing step or half-step on their speed and quickness.

His trade value will never again be higher than it is now. Trade him and get an all-pro type young defensive lineman, plus maybe a couple of high draft picks. We got the best years of Julio's career, and now it's time to move on.