2wd or 4wd?

Killdee

All I have is an old ford 600 2wd I get by fine with it.My buddy Deuce bought a compact cat 4x4 and it is a hoss for a small 28hp tractor,he uses his 4x4 alot.Good luck with your decision.

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
I can pull a 5' bushog w a 30hp 4 x 4. I can pull the same bushog twice as fast with a 40 horse Massey 2 wheel. I love my tractor but when it comes to work and gettin it done, I'll use my buddy's MF cause it's bigger!
Phil, you're welcome to come to camp on a workday and test drive both, but I think you should go for horsepower:cool:

Attachments

• New Holland TC33d.JPG
    New Holland TC33d.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 183

deuce

Gone but not forgotten
I have had 2 wheel drive compact and now own a 4x4 compact as my good buddy killdee has stated it is a hoss for a compact. In my opinion, having owned both types I would say the 4x4 is a much better machine. I have never owned anything bigger because I like to haul my tractor back and forth from home, where I use it a good bit doing small gardening, and to deer camp to do food plots. I don't think I would like pulling a much larger tractor that far. Just some food for thought. Good luck.

dixie

Fatboy, please don't misunderstand me, I agree 100% with what you and Milt said about 2w drive. What I've found using a tractor on a hunting lease is, I ask the tractor to do things and go places a farm tractor is not meant to go. Keep it in plots and on roads and your right, put one on old logging roads or even in the woods and your asking for problems, I've never seen Phils place but from his past post it sounds beautiful and I think he'll want to clear more land off with the "hog" LOL one other thing, I'm the kind of fellow who could find a mudhole in the middle of a desert and get stuck. I can't start to tell ya'll all the times I've run into ruts 2-3 feet deep and had the tractor up on two wheels, or turning sharp on a hillside and needed 4wheel dr to make the turn, thats why I hope he spends the little extra and save himself problems later. I get down in the woods to brush hog trails and walking paths, short cuts from plot to plot shooting lanes from stands . Just about any of my guys on here can tell you, their subject to find cut trails just about any place on our lease.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Dixie, I hope you wear a helmet when you're on that tractor....You sound like a wildman on one........:D

Seriously, I understand where you're coming from also.

Phil, If you're planning on using it like a 4-wheeler you probably do need 4-wheel drive....:bounce:

dixie

huntnnut said:
Dixie, I hope you wear a helmet when you're on that tractor....You sound like a wildman on one........:D

Seriously, I understand where you're coming from also.

Phil, If you're planning on using it like a 4-wheeler you probably do need 4-wheel drive....:bounce:
LOL, Milt, not really, but after I do the fluids ck and start her up, the seat belt goes on for sure! When I'm down in the woods, I always keep it in low-low and just ease along, some of our plots are on steep hillsides and I've used a 2wd on them before, but I had to stop, backup, repostion and start again, with the tractor in 4wd, I don't have all that to do. It's like you and Fatboy said, use them as intended and there's not much of a need for 4wd, but the thing about Phil and knowing he has water on his place and from a old post about a "lane" he wants cut, I expect he'll be happier with 4wd, but , your right, keep them in the plots, fields and pastures where they're meant to be used and a 2wd is fine.

GeauxLSU

Dixie,
The 'lane' I need to maintain is actually across the beaver pond at my house (not at the cabin, though I do have a very small pond, watering hold really, and river at the cabin). Can't get a tractor back there. Funny you mention that though. I FINALLY decided I'd get a new salt block out there (lane) this morning, and pulled on the chest waders and put the block in my hunting back pack (only one I could find). Fell down trudging across the pond 3 times and ripped my back pack and permanently ruined it when I finally made it over there. Oh well, this evening I got to watch deer for almost a solid hour from the back deck. They like the new block. I guess it was worth it. :eek: (My wife is thoroughly convinced I'm clinical.
Actually, now that I think about it, I 'could' get a tractor back there if the some other folks will give me permission to use their property. It's the county's right of way. Hmmmm........

Timberman

With tractors under about 40hp, 4wd makes them pull as if they were much bigger, so imo it is worth it. With tractors above that you sacrifice too much manuverabilty imo for what you gain...especially when food plotting and you need40 acres to turn around in...:banginghe :flag:

Cal, my I 1586 is still kicking. Just put in a 25 ac dove field. The ac is out of freon so she get's a might hot...

Just my opinions Geau you do what makes you happy...:cool:

fatboy84

Dixie, I understand where you are coming from on the ruts and water, but I have only ever had access to 2wd so I have just learned to avoid certain types of terain.

Shoot, most of the stuff i avoid I would still be scared to tackle with 4x4.

I'm not saying that if I was buying a tractor I would not get 4x4. If it was in the budget, you bet I would get it. it is handy, especially if you want to add a FEL.

One thing I have always done when cutting a new trail is use low and ease the hog in there in reverse, that way I protect the radiator and can pull out if need be. Also, it allows you to see the terrain after the hog has cut the brush and you have the opportunity to see any hidden ruts before you drop in them.

I have found myself in a bad position before with an old 8N Ford when driving in and over some thick brush. Got the hog hung up and stalled the tractor. The tractor would start with PTO engaged and clutch in but had to let the clutch out get the lift up and as soon as the blades would start to turn and get bound again the tractor would stall again. Finally managed to get enough slack to remove the PTO shaft and get it out of there. After that I was so worn out, it was time to load the tractor and forget any more work.

Phil,
I saw an super nice MF 850 (I think) for $7800 for sale on McEver Rd near Flowery Branch or Oakwood today. Looked brand new.

jason308

Phil.....

Like others have said, in a compact tractor a 4x4 is a must for me and is well worth another grand to get. I don't care about how fast I can pull a bush hog, but the first time that I need to pull a stump, use the box blade to grade a road or site, move a load of dirt or something the 4x4 will quickly embarass the 4x2. And I know what you have said but I will throw this out there anyhow (let the bashing begin..:bounce: ) IF AT ALL POSSIBLE GET THE LOADER! I can't imagine running a tractor in the woods without one on it....The nuisance feeling will quickly subside the first time you don't have to get off of it or try to get around that tree on the trail as you can push it out of the way as opposed to doing ? with a tractor without a loader on it. Just my $.02, good luck! :flag:

GeauxLSU

fatboy84 said:
Phil,
I saw an super nice MF 850 (I think) for $7800 for sale on McEver Rd near Flowery Branch or Oakwood today. Looked brand new.
But isn't an 850 a combine? :huh:
I'll be sort of that way later today maybe I'll swing by.
Thanks.

Board member had a 4x4 with loader I would have bought if, well...... long story short, it's sold. :banginghe

fatboy84

I was going just slow enough to see the price and that it was super clean looking. Reading the numbers in the mirror is tough.

It was not a combine though.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
4x4. 'Nuff said.

Attachments

• Stuck4.jpg
    Stuck4.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 105

Hogtown

I have a tractor just like the one in Elfii's photo, except I have a front loader. The basic data is 2WD and 50 hp. I haven't stuck it and hope to never stick it. To my mind if it is too wet to plant, then it is too wet to drive your tractor - so I don't miss the 4WD. What I would miss is the loader - it is great. Put a chain around it and lift ATV's out of the truck; haul deer back to camp; push over Chinaberry trees; use a large nylon ratchet strap and pick up towers stands and tote them around the lease; put gravel/dirt in tire ruts and on and on. To my mind the loader is a must.

Confederate_Jay

2wd /4wd bucket loader

I have a 35 hp kubota 4wd w/ loader . I went a couple grand over my budget to get those two extras and I haven't been sorry for a moment.

Many people told me that a FEL was going to be in the way - make it hard to operate in tight places etc etc.

That is bull, all I can say is they evidently never used one much. I use mine as much as any implement I own.
You don't realize how handy the bucket loader is until you have it available. Especially if you plan on using your tractor in the woods! I'll give you some examples:

Moving fallen trees out of the way on roads trails and shooting lanes. You don't even have to get off the tractor. Push it off to the side and keep mowing.

Clearing out brush and scrub for a food plot. Pushing out clumps of cut up grass that your harrows just keep riding over.

If mowing in thick brush or grass that might hide stumps or rocks I just lower my bucket to where it is a couple inches off the ground and go really slow - if I come up on something that could damage my mower or pto, my bucket will bump it and I can go around it. It also serves as a brush guard to keep stuff out of the grill and radiator.

A front end loader will push you back out of a bog hole if you happen to get stuck.

A choker or strap around the bucket allows you to lift and load and move heavy objects without having to fool with a boom pole. Not to mention all the obvious bucket chores

You can load the bucket with anything you need to work with and carry it to where you are working - tools, fertilizer, seed etc. I've even used mine to help lift up some top heavy ladders stands as high as the bucket would reach, so we could lean them on over against the tree.

4wd will give you the pulling power and make your tractor perform like a larger horse power model, without the extra size and weight (think towing) of a larger tractor.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Just go buy a tractor! For crying out loud!