9mm handloads... load & OAL check for a noob loader, please

editingfx

OK, read generic loading chapters in Speer #14. Read all of Lee's info. Read a bunch of threads. **Think** I understand the process & danger points. Have run a few test dry cycles in new (to me) Lee turret.

Hodgdon Clays powder came with Lee gear from sale. Same for a pack of CCI SPP. Bought 1000 Rainier 9mm 115 plated, as that's all LGS had in stock.

9mm Rainier plated 115gr RN (they say use load data for lead RN). Using Hodgdon Clays (not Intl or Univ, just Clays) powder. From Hodgdon load website, Min. load = 3.0gr Max = 3.4gr. OAL for a 115 LRN = 1.100"

Cycled case with Lee Auto Powder disk 5 times, weighed each throw on balance, came in +/- .1 on a 3.1 throw. Checked dry case + bullet (no primer, no powder) in my XD9sc barrel - seated exactly like Blazer round, and fell out when barrel was inverted. Not using Lee optional taper die.

Have read dangers of seating bullet too deep in a small case (eg, 9mm) with a fast powder (Clays). I know COL listed is minimum, but don't know what maximum would be. Turret die came to me set up, and creates 1.150" OAL on my components. Spec calls for 1.100".

Three questions:
1 - does my work so far seem correct & comprehensive?
2 - should I change seating die to hit 1.100" OAL?
3 - why do FMJ require about 20% more load than lead?

Ok, since I havent started loading my own yet this is the best suggestion that I can give.

It is best to take and make a range of ammo and figure out what works in your gun. Start off by reducing the charge by 10% and work up in 10% .... so if max load is 3.4 reduce that by 10 percent.... then within that reduced load work up by 10 percent of the difference from the starting load and the max load and check for pressure signs.

As far as max COAL would be one that chambers in your pistol and still retains the bullet and works in your pistol. Sometimes if you are long they wont feed. But if you feed reliably with 1.150 and show no signs of over pressure I would try that.

thats why when you are first starting out into reloading it is suggested to do it in matches. Do 10 or so of each load charge and try and see if they are going to cycle the action reliably. If the first ones of a certain load wont cycle stop using them and move on to the next. When you get home pull the bullet and reuse the powder and everything else for a load that does work.

Where is LGS ? I dont think I have heard of them.

And as far as the lead requiring less .... its softer material..... and will be affected by the burning powder, thats why some use a gas check on a lead bullet.

2 - should I change seating die to hit 1.100" OAL?

You round headspaces on the rim of the brass. That's why OAL in a semi-auto pistol isn't critical. If the 1.150 works in your pistol, leave it alone.

3 - why do FMJ require about 20% more load than lead?

Lead has more "lubricity" which is a fancy word for say that it is slicker than the gilding metal on a FMJ. So to obtain the same velocity with the same weight bullet, requires more powder. The trade off is that that "lubricity" is the result of lead lining the barrel, meaning more clean-up effort.

Lazy man's hint: if you shoot lead bullets, and finish up with a couple of FMJ's, you will shoot out a lot of the lead build-up.

7MAGMIKE

So far it sounds OK but you probably need to use a crimp. I had a problem when I let my grandson help me decap and resize some 7mm mag rounds. He was not using as much pressure on the handle I was so his cases were a little loose on the bullet. I believe you are OK on your COL as long as the rounds feed without interference in the magazine. On the Hodgedon site they only list LRN and GDHP in 115gr. They list the GDHP with a hotter load and a higher pressure and velocity requiring more powder.

EMC-GUN

As already said this cartridge along with other auto cartridges (45ACP, .380 etc.) headspace on the case mouth. Therefore you need not put too much crimp, but enough to iron down the "bell" the flaring die put on your case. I too have loaded these same bullets in mixed brass for a FS92 Beretta. I seated mine to 1.135 COAL. Never used the Clays powder. I used 4.5gr. Bullseye. Always make up some dummies to function test for feeding and magazine reliability.

Last edited:

bearpugh

Gone but not forgotten
yup. cycle at existing length. if it works ok in your mags and pistol, cool. if not, seat a lil deeper and try again. don't keep trying the same ones too many times in case of bullet pushback. put a slight crimp om 'em. good luck.

7MAGMIKE

Not trying to hijack the thread but I made up some 7mm mag rounds that I believe I crimpped a little too much. Is that a big deal. I know I really do not necessarily need to crimp but in search of the holy grail of accuracy I did it. Been kind of unsure if it is going to kick up pressure too much. The IMR 4831 was loaded on the light side at 61.5gr under a 150gr Nosler BT. using a magnum large rifle primer.

editingfx

Just got back from Bass Pro - got a Valley Forge (?) kinetic bullet puller - darned thing works real easy. Sorta surprised me. Imagined whacking away, waiting for things to pull apart, but nope, 2 hits & out pops the bullet. Nice.

Too bad they had zip nada zilch CCI SPP's. Anyone around/north of Atlanta want to go in on a big order of SPP sometime?

7MAGMIKE

No it's a light load, according to the reload manual starting charge is 61gr. I am using 61.5gr max load is 65gr. Just being new to reloading I don't want to load too high pressures.

wildcatt

crimping

to much is made about the round headspacing on the mouth I have always loaded and roll crimped my cartridges.
I wonder what people did before the fancy taper crimp.they roll crimped.I loaded 32/20 on win tong tool and did not resize case.primed,powdered,put bullet in and squeesd handles.shot great out of my win 73.as to OAL what fits the mag is correct.I load 25 acp/32 long/32 acp/38/45acp/45 colt.all rolled crimped.

clown714

i've had to do some experimenting

w\my 9mm COL.

bought a CZ acoupla years ago

that had a short chamber.

seems like your on the right track.

as always,go slow and always(ALWAYS)

whenever you change something,work your way back up!!

clown