A Few of My Finds From Western NC

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some of the points I've picked up over the years. We don't have the museum-grade points made from fine material that some of y'all further south have, but there is a long and rich archaeological history here.
From older to newer:

Early Archaic notched, stemmed, and bifurcated points:

EAs.jpg

Early/Mid-Archaic, various types:

MAs.jpg

Mid-Archaic Guilford lanceolate points:

guilfords.jpg

More lanceolates, and some Stanley Stemmed points:

G&S.jpg

Mid/Late Archaic Savannah River/Appalacian Stemmed and Otarres:

SRs.jpg

Woodland and Mississippian true arrowheads, along with a thumb scraper and a drill:

aroowheads.jpg

Duff

That blade in the 5th pic, bottom row, 2nd from left. o_O Looks like it’s shaped perfectly

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Some sho nuff fine points and artifacts you got there. Nice collection!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I was hoping you might have a Cumberland or two in your collection.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That blade in the 5th pic, bottom row, 2nd from left. o_O Looks like it’s shaped perfectly
That's the only point that I've ever found in a creek in my life. It's a Yadkin, dating from the Woodland period.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was hoping you might have a Cumberland or two in your collection.
I've never found a paleo, except for a couple of Hardaways that are transitional paleo.

whitetailfreak

That's quite the collection right there. I've got a bunch that I've picked up around here over the years but never had the knowledge to identify them. I may post up a few on a different thread sometime and see if you fellers can help identify.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've never found a paleo, except for a couple of Hardaways that are transitional paleo.

I`ve only found one Hardaway Dalton, a broken base off a Simpson, and about 3 inches of the main body and tip of another Paleo that I like to think is a Clovis. Can`t tell though because the base is gone. Ironically I found both the brokes the same day, same field, about 20 yards apart. No, they don`t match up. facepalm:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve only found one Hardaway Dalton, a broken base off a Simpson, and about 3 inches of the main body and tip of another Paleo that I like to think is a Clovis. Can`t tell though because the base is gone. Ironically I found both the brokes the same day, same field, about 20 yards apart. No, they don`t match up. facepalm:
I know a guy that found a definite Clovis base, and another who found a perfect Clovis/Cumberland around here. Don't you have a nice Suwannee?

Big7

The Oracle
I have never found an arrow head.

My Daddy found a stone axe when he was a kid.
Grandmother kept it until she passed away.

My disowned uncle really screwed up our family's legacy after Daddy died. No telling how many antique and heirloom items just disappeared. Not to mention land. REALLY MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL JUST THINKING ABOUT IT.