A Few of My Finds From Western NC

Tentwing

WOW :oops:… those are amazing! … not gonna lie … I’m a little jealous. The ones made of the dark gray/blue material …… is that chert or flint ?? That material has always intrigued me. In my younger years living in Walker County GA most of the points that I found were that color then later a 12 year span in Madison County most of what I found was quartz or cream colored chert.
In my 40’s I lived in the upper Cumberland very close to the Tennessee/ Kentucky line and began to find points in the blue/gray colored flint again. Most of the points that I found in that time in my life were what a friend of mine referred to as “ McCorkles and Judes …??
You have an awesome collection … … Tentwing

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
WOW :oops:… those are amazing! … not gonna lie … I’m a little jealous. The ones made of the dark gray/blue material …… is that chert or flint ?? That material has always intrigued me. In my younger years living in Walker County GA most of the points that I found were that color then later a 12 year span in Madison County most of what I found was quartz or cream colored chert.
In my 40’s I lived in the upper Cumberland very close to the Tennessee/ Kentucky line and began to find points in the blue/gray colored flint again. Most of the points that I found in that time in my life were what a friend of mine referred to as “ McCorkles and Judes …??
You have an awesome collection … … Tentwing
The black material is Knox Chert from eastern TN. The blue/gray material is KY hornstone. The distribution of the material tells the story of how the people lived over the years. You'll notice that most of the early Archaic points dating back 7-10 thousand years are made from the TN and KY chert. That's when the people who made them were nomadic hunter/gatherers. The river I live on flows west into TN. The people who made those points followed the river up into the mountains in the summer, and back down to the western lowlands in the wintertime. They accessed the chert in their wintering grounds.

Around the Middle Archaic, all the points started being made from local quartz and quartzite, indicating that the people who made them lived their whole lives here in this area, and had no access to better stone for making points, so they relied on local material.

In the later years in the Mississippian period, the TN chert starts showing back up heavily, indicating that there was a tribal connection throughout the whole area, and likely trade and travel going on.

There are some McCorkles in that first pic, they're the bifurcated-base points in the middle of the pic.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Y'all got me watching folks on YouTube out finding points.