A long tail about a short subject

Lilly001

So here I am in Fl.
I came down for two reasons, 1 the wife and I needed our annual physicals for our insurance. 2. My SIL has fallen numerous times and we were going to have her evaluated to go into rehab (been there before with good results).
So we start to get ready and SIL falls off of her bed. My wife struggles but gets her back up. (My wife has a replaced knee and shoulder and other back issues)
15 minutes later she falls again and neither of us can get her up.
She is also incoherent.
An ambulance is called and she is taken to the local ER.
Wife and I go to our appointments and our doctor happens to be SIL’s.
We describe situation to him and he says it sounds like rehab is called for.
The problem is the ER she went to is one he doesn’t practice at.
The ER doc refuses to refer her.
The ER calls me to come get her.
I explain I can’t because she is a fall risk, she is displaying signs of dementia, and she has now been exposed to covid and I have a high risk pregnant DIL at the house.
They threaten me with the law and won’t discuss any options.
I stand my ground and tell them that if the Sheriff tells me I have to take her I will go to jail instead.
After 5 hours of dealing with intimidation from seemingly everyone at the ER my SIL shows up without notice at the locked gate in a transport van.
I refuse her and explain the issue to the driver. He’s less than impressed.
Finally the original ER makes arrangements for her to go to an ER where her doc has practice privileges.
I am reminded of my work days and wonder if these people really think they can get away with this nonsense.
I’ll probably spend a good bit of tomorrow looking for bosses to chastise for their night shift’s shenanigans.

Lilly001

Also her doctor, who has been mine also since 84’, called me during this fiasco , for insight into my own ailments, and couldn’t believe the run around. He suggested the transfer to the other ER.
It’s funny how I started to get some recognition when his name was invoked.

Duff

That is terrible. What a bunch of idiots!

Lilly001

sounds like they just wanted her out of their facility and out to the responsibility. Who knows why?

Probably didn't see a way to make any money on the situation, and wanted to wash their hands of it.
This is my guess.
She is Medicare and has only SS income.
I think the ER physician just wanted to be rid of her.
But the strong arm tactics to get me to pick her up or allow her to be dropped off were over the top.
It’s been a while since I’ve been threatened with arrest.
I’m just waiting for the executive types to get to work before I start dissecting the fiasco.

Redbow

Sorry for your problems Lilly001 I hope your SIL will see better days soon. If she was transported by the hospital don't be surprised if you or your SIL receive a bill for the transfer fee. It happened to my FIL who is now deceased to the tune of $1,000 for a nine mile trip. I hope that doesn't happen to you folks.

Lilly001

Sorry for your problems Lilly001 I hope your SIL will see better days soon. If she was transported by the hospital don't be surprised if you or your SIL receive a bill for the transfer fee. It happened to my FIL who is now deceased to the tune of $1,000 for a nine mile trip. I hope that doesn't happen to you folks.
I fully expect she will get all sorts of bills.
But she has limited income and owns nothing.
So the old blood from a turnip phrase applies.

Lilly001

Well.
The hospital CEO called me and listened to my story.
We will see if rattling cages has any effect.