A Nation Grows Great

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I'm fairly certain that I'll never get to enjoy the shade from this one, but future generations will. Swamp chestnut oak I sprouted from my swamp chestnut that I sprouted some 30 years ago.

From the old saying, "A nation grows great when old men plant trees that they know they will never sit in the shade of."

new oak.jpg

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Indeed, I have a pic somewhere of me holding my oldest while watering a northern red oak I sprouted. It’s one of 3 I planted at the edge of our yard. I hope he remembers the history of the tree and tells his kids about it. The tree is now 17 years old.

Geffellz18

A very wise man said something similar to my father and I many years ago when he purchased some acreage of standing pines that surrounded a large field. He planted what must be 50-60 water oaks around the edge of that field and share his sentiment that mirrors that quote.
We have the honor of access to the property and hunt around it annually and not once do I pass through the field, looking at those oaks which now stand about 25-30ft tall, and not think of that saying.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I try my very best to leave the wild places at least as good as they were when I eased off in there, and preferably, better.

We should all strive to do the same.
Amen! I'm the same way, brother. Hate seeing our beautiful woods and swamps trashed. Or anywhere. Some people just don't give a crap about the harm they're doing. And it's not just our beautiful woods and swamps, the next time you go anywhere, I want you to look more closely around you at the trash out there. Most people may not pay attention to it, but if you'll start doing so, you will probably be shocked at all the trash you see. My hometown is no different. Trash all along the outer edges of our pathetic mall. Cups, bottles, dinner plates, you name it. Loads of it. And I hate a litterbug with a passion.

Sorry for the rant! :bounce:

Redbow

It surely never hurts to give mother nature a hand with things. I have planted wild persimmon seeds in and around the swamps here but I don't know if they will ever germinate. And trash yes its everywhere along the roadways and other places plenty of it including the waterways here. The only place that I see that might be worse with trash thrown out or maybe equal with us is watching the train videos from India, trash everywhere there as well.

Good post Nic. (y)

oldfella1962

I'm fairly certain that I'll never get to enjoy the shade from this one, but future generations will. Swamp chestnut oak I sprouted from my swamp chestnut that I sprouted some 30 years ago.

From the old saying, "A nation grows great when old men plant trees that they know they will never sit in the shade of."

View attachment 1290495
Awesome! Sometimes I wonder if the trees I planted about 15 or 20 years ago will be enjoyed or appreciated when I am gone - whether by my descendants or other folks. But no doubt if I don't plant anything at all there is a zero chance - so why not plant them? Right now the birds & other critters appreciate them and that's important too.

coolbreezeroho

Pics please of the planting and how it has grown if possible....
Indeed, I have a pic somewhere of me holding my oldest while watering a northern red oak I sprouted. It’s one of 3 I planted at the edge of our yard. I hope he remembers the history of the tree and tells his kids about it. The tree is now 17 years old.