Adam's rib - quick question for Biblical literalists

oldfella1962

Did the 12 Disciples worship Jesus?
Did they pray to him while he was alive?
Did Jesus ask or instruct anyone to worship him?
When did Jesus suggest that his fellow Jews abandon their faith and start a new religion around him?

I'm guessing his disciples wouldn't pray to him while he was alive because until he's dead & resurrected he's not god yet.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That’s not what they did. They saw Jesus as the Messiah as foretold in their scriptures.
I don't agree with that mainly because Jesus did not fulfill OT Messah requirements. Jewish history contains men that fulfilled more than Jesus and still still did not fulfill all.
If the Disciples were practicing Jews they would know he did not fufill prophesy.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Jesus forgave sins. No mere man can do that. Even the Pharisees understood that.
Priests do it at every confession.

How would anyone know a sin is forgiven merely by Jesus or anyone saying it?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Jesus asked Peter, “Who do you say that I am?”

Thomas did not believe until he touched Jesus’ wounds. Upon his confession, Jesus blessed Thomas.
I know the story.
Peter took it upon himself to think Jesus was God.
Thomas apparently didn't believe until after an embellished miracle was told.

oldfella1962

Second link read!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Jesus

Here's my take: Christians or Chrestians? Was it a typo? :rolleyes: Small potatoes! I would say Tacitus was talking about the same group that started Christianity as we know it.
But IMHO all that proves is that there was a Jew named Jesus who stepped on the wrong toes, got crucified, and his followers believed that he was the Messiah that he claimed he was. Throughout history people have believed in and followed effective leaders to varying degrees with various outcomes. Bottom line when taken in context: nothing to see here kids.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That’s opinion. Both Paul and Apollos argued from the scriptures that Jesus was the Messiah.
It is not opinion. It is clearly defined by Judaism. If Jesus fulfilled prophesy the Jews would call him Messiah.
The requirements are easily searchable (I've posted them 50x in other threads) from Jewish sources.
Christianity is still saying "wait" for a few requirements be fulfilled, but claims Jesus is the Messiah anyway. The fact that those things didnt happen yet immediately excludes Jesus from the running.
Paul never met Jesus. Never physically saw Jesus. He wrote to try to make Jesus fulfill the requirements but could not.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
They do not. A priest is merely a witness to the confession. Only God can forgive.
Roman Catholics believe that priests have power to forgive sins as taught by Christ himself.

John 20:23 If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.” (NIV)

Paul also declares that God has given the ministry of reconciliation to the Church. Catholics interpret this ministry of reconciliation to be the power of forgiving sins and bringing the repentant sinner back to God.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Jesus asked Peter, “Who do you say that I am?”

Thomas did not believe until he touched Jesus’ wounds. Upon his confession, Jesus blessed Thomas.
Peter told Jesus that was the son of the living god and the messiah.
Jesus later prdered his disciples not to say to anyone that he was the messiah.

Odd that he didn't want others to know.

WaltL1

He existed, he was crucified, a movement started around him. Yep, all three facts are probably true, I'm not doubting that. This doesn't prove god's existence in the least. It just proves that some people BELIEVED that Jesus was special/divine/godly/etc.
Exactly