advice needed fishing for whiting

outdoorman

Now that I luve near Sacannah, I want to catch some salt water fish and read that whiting come in this time of year. Although I have a kayak I don't want to get in any deeper water in fact I prefer to fish from the bank or maybe a jetty.

outdoorman

Did anyone give suggestions on good spots to fish Whiting from the shore and Coastal Georgia? Also any tips on methods? I'm using the same freshwater light and medium tackle that I already have. Currently I don't have one of those long circles but if recommended as essential I can go and buy one.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Go to "Wally World" and get a few whiting rigs, get as far out on the jetty (best go to the pier on Tybee) put on med rod and bait with shrimp, cut up squid, or sand fleas. Hold on.. you're liable to catch any bottom feeder.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Remember to wash EVERYTHING when you get home... salt water is the debil.

seachaser

Whiting don’t take much effort if there there Small piece of shrimp on a hook if there where you cast out you will catch. The fun starts when you get them then cut in half throw back out on bigger rod and wait.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Small circle hooks and cut mullet or squid. Whiting are delicious.

whitingntrout.jpg

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Vacuum sealer and they'll last plenty long in the freezer. Its hard to beat the taste of a whiting. To me they are just as good of table fare as trout and reds. And like a Bream they've saved many an otherwise slow fishing day

menhadenman

Fresh shrimp is hard to beat, I like fluorocarbon leaders cause they take a beating. Maybe 2 oz slip sinker and 18” leader with hooks like the guys above say. You’ll crush em if they’re there. Good luck.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Vacuum sealer and they'll last plenty long in the freezer. Its hard to beat the taste of a whiting. To me they are just as good of table fare as trout and reds. And like a Bream they've saved many an otherwise slow fishing day
To me, they are much better fried than trout or reds. And I like trout and reds just fine.

flconch53

Batter fried. Like everything don't overcook. I used to keep a salt water aquarium and it was interesting to watch different kinds of fish and how they feed. I never saw a Whiting take a piece of food they didn't push around with their chin whisker. So if you feel a bump wait a little

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fresh shrimp is hard to beat, I like fluorocarbon leaders cause they take a beating. Maybe 2 oz slip sinker and 18” leader with hooks like the guys above say. You’ll crush em if they’re there. Good luck.
They will hit shrimp for sure, but I hate fishing with shrimp because of the bait-stealers. I catch just as many on squid or cut mullet, and it's a lot tougher.