Advice needed

AndrewO89

I’ve been hunting a 200 acre piece of private and need some advice, there’s atleast two gobblers, and I managed to spook one while walking in yesterday. My question is where do you guys think they go when they fly down? These birds are fairly vocal on the limb but as soon as they fly down they don’t make another sound, I’m certain they have hens but I don’t know where they go to feed or strut so I can be in area for when the hens break off to nesting. This part of the property is an “island” of mixed hardwoods and pines, surrounded by planted pines, and it’s surrounded by a creek bottom, there’s no field or open area that I would think they would go to strut, and the owner doesn’t burn so any rows between the pines or edges are super think (think of it as prime nesting cover), I’ll attach a picture for reference, white dots are birds gobbling from the roost.

Attachments

• IMG_4148.jpeg
    IMG_4148.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 43

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Here's my picks in blue.

Hunted one this year, small opening that has hardwoods with a creek below, pines and autumn olive above with an old logging road running through the middle. It's about 60 yds long and 40 yds wide.

Put you a game cam or two out

Attachments

• IMG_4148.jpeg
    IMG_4148.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Those hens should be nesting and leaving the gobblers pretty early . I’d bet they are gobbling. It’s hard to hear one very far once he’s on the ground with all the foliage. Good luck these last few days !

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Don't be afraid to use a pop-up blind and hunt longer than normal.

Between me, my granddaughter and buddies, we've got 6, all between 9 and 11

We quit putting out strutter decoys, just ran hens.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Do the gobbling birds roost together?
Or seperated?
Reason I ask is because there's 2 white dots on your map. I was wondering if that's where the 2 gobblers were being heard at dawn.
If so I would get between em in the dark before dawn. When dawn breaks. Just barely lightly yelp... jussssst barely enough to let them know a new turkey is there. My guess is these 2 gobblers are hooking up in the morning and moving together all day

ShortMagFan

Hunted a NE Georgia ridge gobbler a couple weeks back. we set up 125 yards from him on the roost. He gobbled pretty good. But once he hit the ground he went quiet. We had not heard any hens; maybe there was one or more but didn’t seem like it.

After an hour of silence we hadnt heard any other gobbling so just decided to stay in the area, not push him too hard and see if he ever got interested. We suspected he hadn’t gone far and was just loafing on the side of the ridge in the laurel. And we had nothing better to do so we gave him plenty of distance so as not to bump him, and over the next 2+ hours did a complete loop around him, stopping to sit for a few minutes and call from 3-4 spots. we got back to the spot I thought he was roosted and hit the call. He cut me off a couple hundred yards up the ridge. We moved to a good spot, called one time and put the call down. He was dead in about 5 minutes

point being, that turkey was on that ridge all morning. He could hear our calling the whole time. It wasn’t until we got to his roost spot at 10:30 in the morning that he turned inside out and ran and strutted to his death

turkey are really unpredictable and stubborn

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have watched gobblers sound off on the limb,fly down not another Gobble and stand in one spot waiting on a hen to come to them.
ShortMagFan is correct...unpredictable and stubborn.