Air Compressor for Tractor tires

deers2ward

My tractor tires will not take air from my pancake compressor. Need suggestions for a compressor that is up to the task

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Check your regulator if you have one on it. Could be set too low having used it for some other application. Paint or nail gun maybe?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Be a pain sort of but take the weight off the tire by jacking up that side. May work.

Yelpu1

Is the tire pressure greater than the capacity of your compressor. It takes a lot of air volume to fill a rear tractor tire. It takes for ever with my small compressor.

Will air or water come out of the valve stem if you depress.

deers2ward

Is the tire pressure greater than the capacity of your compressor. It takes a lot of air volume to fill a rear tractor tire. It takes for ever with my small compressor.

Will air or water come out of the valve stem if you depress.
Air

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If the pressure in the compressor is greater than the pressure in the tire, and you are depressing the valve in the tire and air chuck, it will go in the tire, regardless of the make, model or style of compressor.

How much pressure is the compressor putting out at the hose? What is the pressure in the tire?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yep. Do you have any recommendations for a suitable compressor?

I have a couple of 1990’s era electric 5 hp on 25 gallon tank Sears Craftsman compressors. The kind that the tank is horizontal and on 2 wheels.
They both have served well on tractor tires. You want something portable you can use in your shop or let it fill the tank and carry to your tractor if needed.

Lilly001

Yep. Do you have any recommendations for a suitable compressor?
Tractor tires take a large volume of air. But not high pressure.
When I fill my rear tires it seems to take a long time to even notice the tire filling.
My compressor is rated at 5 cubic feet per minute at 90 psi. That’s a normal home owner size.
Most industrial shop compressors are rated 12+ cubic feet per minute at 90 psi. That’s what you need if you want to fill those large tires fast.

Last edited:

GeorgiaGlockMan

I have a small 18v milwaukee air compressor that i will recommend for away from power uses and a couple 3 - 5 hp craftsman and ryobi horizontal 120v units. They would excell for your use.

Good luck.

My little 18v milwaukee would fix that tire rite up too.

transfixer

If the compressor still works on other things you use it for, then it simply isn't putting out enough air volume for you to notice it on a large tire, you'll have to leave it hooked up and running and walk away, it would take a shop compressor with an 80gal tank with 125psi built up or higher, for you to notice the tire filling up in a short time. anything smaller is going to take a while