Alabama trip…Mobile bay

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Mobile bay is a lot different than Tampa bay for sure. I’m used to catching bait with a net, but shrimp and bull minnows from the bait shop was the only live bait we could get our hands on. We threw a lot of artificial baits, but the bites came on the live bait.
Friday evening was slow with just a few catfish and silver trout, but I did manage a keeper mangrove snapper.
Saturday am was CRAZY! The massive red and yellow ball on the radar seemed miles away from us, so we went. Very few bites and within 2 hours, our lines started floating to the sky! Then the rods standing in the holder started buzzing like power lines! It was CRAZY and we decided it best not to be out there!
Saturday after the storm, we went back out and got quite a few bites, but mostly catfish and a few silver trout. The water is so shallow out there with pretty much nonexistent channels. Sooo different than where I grew up. Chocolate water versus the clear and no grass flats to drift over. But there was a nice marsh looking area I finally convinced my bff to go check out. He never went there before cause the water over most of the mud flat was less than 3-4’. At the marsh we found 6-8’ of water and it was much clearer but barely salty….brackish mostly fresh. Again not a lot of bites, but I did manage a keeper black drum and a Flounder! The flounder was a solid legal fish, but so much more than that! No doubt my bff will be checking out that and other similar areas now! Ok, so I did dog him a little cause his boat IS a Flats boat!

So here it is Sunday am and so far I only have 3 small keepers……pressure is on! We anchored beside the big hole close to the bait shop and small bridge again. I FINALLY hooked up on bull red! Using 12# vanish with a 20# leader is certainly no horse of a combo, but I told that fish I had all day and was in no hurry!! After a few tense moments, I landed him and had my red! WOOHOO! Celebration was on and so was the bite! For about 2 hours we got bit good and hard, but only managed 1 slot red, and 4 overs! I caught 2 more nice black drum and now we got filets to bring home! Since I had 2 oversized reds so I had to let one go, but took his picture first! We were pretty(very) wiped out and had a mess to clean up so we were outta there by noon! Man what a day and a great trip! Alabama has been good to me and I can’t wait to go back!

57B33209-F006-4EFA-B326-5BE0237D28AB.jpeg60D7607D-91B1-4218-ADB3-2B05B1823F00.jpeg3B96639E-D8B9-4400-8300-2678904AE9A4.jpeg

LowerAl

Nice catch. Check out Capt Brandon Colliers YouTube. GOOD local knowledge is key to catching and keeping a lower unit. You will see that bridge in some of his winter sheepshead vids. It’s a popular spot.
LA

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Nice catch. Check out Capt Brandon Colliers YouTube. GOOD local knowledge is key to catching and keeping a lower unit. You will see that bridge in some of his winter sheepshead vids. It’s a popular spot.
LA
My bud follows a couple locals and found several “thank you” spots and a bunch of knowledge….pretty sure this is one of them. I’m not sure if Brandon is one of them but I will check it out.
What about Fowl river? Looks amazing crossing the bridge! Has a boat ramp/bait right there too. I scolded my bud for not checking it out already! His friend from work has a bigger boat they hit the rigs with and he said they went back here one time and did no good…..his boat is better suited for a river like that and I love backwater!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Forgot I put some in the air fryer with Everglades seasoning. It was the bomb too!

jdgator

Great job! I live on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay. You'll need to come back in July and drop some live croakers of the natural gas rigs in the lower bay and then hang on. Some mighty large trout!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Great job! I live on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay. You'll need to come back in July and drop some live croakers of the natural gas rigs in the lower bay and then hang on. Some mighty large trout!
My bud just put a new Suzuki 150 on the back of his flats boat. He’s wanting to change out the hull just so he can hit them rigs! He says it’s too sketchy unless it’s like glass or at least super calm out there….that bay gets rough! Where can we find trout inshore? We Love some trout, but only caught the white or silver ones.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
You’re on a roll!

You don’t look like the type to use the term “bff”. Lol
I’m really not….lol and I certainly have been! Better than I deserve!