Alaskan ulu knife

sghoghunter

I bought an Alaskan ulu knife a couple weeks ago and I’ve never had a knife that was ground down on only one side. It’s very sharp now but thinking ahead on how do you sharpen one like this?I've got a sharpening system that has stones that mounts on rods and keeps it at certain angles but there’s no way to put this one in the jig with the handle made like it is.

Attachments

• 15F494F0-97C8-4EDA-9C20-8D0CBD2FB4B6.png
    15F494F0-97C8-4EDA-9C20-8D0CBD2FB4B6.png
    369.9 KB · Views: 90

Wire Nut

The knives I use to strip wire have one side sharpened. I do the same as above. Sharpen the bevel until you get a burr on the other side then knock the burr off

Anvil Head

Great kitchen knife as well. A variation of the half-moon blade is used a lot in leather work called a Head Knife or round knife.
Sharpening the single bevel blade, as described above, is best done on a good flat stone. Be especially careful with the non-beveled side to keep it flat on the stone. Light stropping on an old leather belt should remove the bur and polish/hone the edge as a final step.

treemanjohn

Banned
I have a mezzaluna knife. It's also a similar design but with 2 handles. It really gets the job done when chopping. I use a 1in belt sander with certain fine grit first and then a leather strop belt

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
We bought one with a wooden bowl that fits it while in Alaska. Perfect for chopping up almost anything
Same here. The bowl is a must. Did you buy it at the Ulu place by the Alaskan Railroad depot?

jrickman

I've got the one with the bowl. It doesn't hold an edge much at all, so I've been thinking about taking it out to the shop and seeing if I can put a scandi grind on it without eating away too much of the blade. Now that I have had one for a few years (after spotting it on the Life Below Zero show) I've decided that when I do eventually replace it, I'm going to either make one myself, or order a larger more traditional version in carbon steel instead of cheap stainless.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I've got the one with the bowl. It doesn't hold an edge much at all, so I've been thinking about taking it out to the shop and seeing if I can put a scandi grind on it without eating away too much of the blade. Now that I have had one for a few years (after spotting it on the Life Below Zero show) I've decided that when I do eventually replace it, I'm going to either make one myself, or order a larger more traditional version in carbon steel instead of cheap stainless.
There’s a lot of good information in your last sentence.

oldfella1962

I have a mezzaluna knife. It's also a similar design but with 2 handles. It really gets the job done when chopping. I use a 1in belt sander with certain fine grit first and then a leather strop belt

Mezza Luna means "half moon" in Italian so I assume the knife is shaped like that?

ryanh487

I bought an Alaskan ulu knife a couple weeks ago and I’ve never had a knife that was ground down on only one side. It’s very sharp now but thinking ahead on how do you sharpen one like this?I've got a sharpening system that has stones that mounts on rods and keeps it at certain angles but there’s no way to put this one in the jig with the handle made like it is.

Just watched the episode of forged in fire where they made these the other day. Based on the info they provided, to sharpen one your work up a bur on the edged side that rolls towards the flat side then sharpen it flat on the flat side.