An applicable joke.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Two medical Interns are on vacation and decide to take a hot air balloon ride across Holland. After a short class on navigation and control of the balloon they take to the sky. Soon after they become engulfed in a fog bank and loose all track of landmarks. They become disoriented and lost and decide to descend low enough to maybe catch sight of a landmark. They descend into a pasture to find a chap taking a morning walk. They are elated at their luck yell out from above, "Hello Sir. We are hopelessly lost in this fog. Can you tell us where we are?" Without a pause the resident citizen answers, "Latitude 52.1326° N, Longitude 5.2913° E." One Internist looks at the other and says "He's a neurologist." The other asks, "How do you know that?" The first replies, "He told us precisely what we asked for, and the information is absolutely useless."

That's pretty much my summation of the majority of content of the posts on this forum. God forbid any lost or troubled soul ever venture into here seeking guidance. Instead of salt and light this place is nothing but exactly what Nietzsche described in THE MADMAN: “What after all are these churches now if they are not the tombs and sepulchers of God?”

THE MADMAN — Have you not heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market place, and cried incessantly: “I seek God! I seek God!”—As many of those who did not believe in God were standing around just then, he provoked much laughter. Has he got lost? asked one. Did he lose his way like a child? asked another. Or is he hiding? Is he afraid of us? Has he gone on a voyage? emigrated?—Thus they yelled and laughed

The madman jumped into their midst and pierced them with his eyes. “Whither is God?” he cried; “I will tell you. We have killed him—you and I. All of us are his murderers. But how did we do this? How could we drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What were we doing when we unchained this earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving? Away from all suns? Are we not plunging continually? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there still any up or down? Are we not straying, as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is not night continually closing in on us? Do we not need to light lanterns in the morning? Do we hear nothing as yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we smell nothing as yet of the divine decomposition? Gods, too, decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

“How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whoever is born after us—for the sake of this deed he will belong to a higher history than all history hitherto.”

Here the madman fell silent and looked again at his listeners; and they, too, were silent and stared at him in astonishment. At last he threw his lantern on the ground, and it broke into pieces and went out. “I have come too early,” he said then; “my time is not yet. This tremendous event is still on its way, still wandering; it has not yet reached the ears of men. Lightning and thunder require time; the light of the stars requires time; deeds, though done, still require time to be seen and heard. This deed is still more distant from them than most distant stars—and yet they have done it themselves.

It has been related further that on the same day the madman forced his way into several churches and there struck up his requiem aeternam deo. Led out and called to account, he is said always to have replied nothing but: “What after all are these churches now if they are not the tombs and sepulchers of God?”

—Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science (1882, 1887) para. 125; Cambridge University Press (Cambridge, 2001), pp.119-120.

I'm not a theologian. I'm just an average, everyday, working man. I have a strong relationship with God thanks only to Him completely destroying me and building me back piece by piece. I can only relay to others my experience of that and what I have learned from it: my pains and the growth that God nourished in me from it. I'm smart enough to realize my errors are shared in one way, shape, or form by pretty much all of humanity. I try to share my experience and what God has done for me in order to help others relate and maybe offer them some hope for their plight. I know I 'put myself out there' in relaying this. A lot of it is very personal. I don't care. If it helps one person it's worth it. Who am I to keep what God has done for me private when telling others could benefit them. That would be the very definition of selfishness.

Yet, invariably when I start a thread, it's derailed almost immediately by our resident 'theologians'. To say it's very frustrating would be an understatement. It's almost laughable at how quickly supposedly, learned 'christians' (judging by their words and syntax) can't seem to grasp a simpleton's (me) base questions and concepts, and how quickly they deflect the intended context. I don't get it. As Christians we are called to share what God has done for us, our struggles, and how he brought us through. I cant for the life of me understand why other 'christians' would be so he11 bent on shutting any talk of that down. At this point it's apparent it's not accidental, but intentional. What does that say about us that we intentionally stifle and suppress another's testimony of God's power, love, and mercy???????? I know what it says, but even Nietzsche didn't have the foresight to envision that it woud be the 'church' to "have done it themselves."

gemcgrew

"He told us precisely what we asked for, and the information is absolutely useless."

That's pretty much my summation of the majority of content of the posts on this forum. God forbid any lost or troubled soul ever venture into here seeking guidance.
You are troubled because of your homocentric theology.

May God have you to start there.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Pretty much what I experience every time I experiment with organized religion or even talking to religious people about religion.
Condescension is prevalent. Telling me what I believe is wrong while I am wondering hhow they know, for example, what happens in the afterlife once one is accepted into heaven (and multitudes of BELIEFS that they put forth as FACT) ( And with a heaping dose of that condescension).
It always makes me feel better about myself when I come into contact with those who think they are better than me.

gordon 2

I think you might have a valid point SFD.

Yet does your before and after testimony represent how Christianity has ministered for the greatest part?

Perhaps testimony has its season and place. I recall a traveling minister who banked everything on his testimony from being in a drug culture biker club. His testimony rivetted many innocent folks in his audience not so much for what God did, but for what he was before what Jesus did for him. The point being that in most or all cases he was preaching to people who were not in drug culture biker clubs.

As a matter of fact I think you have a valid point or a valid testimony, but especially when you identify as in your "get ahead culture" and how destructive it is or can be without Christ. Alot of Christians are mislead in this culture and I think you have something useful to say. Yet alot of Christians are not mislead by this culture and so a testimony such as yours goes only so far to those focused especially on Christ who overcame temptation to get ahead.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Pretty much what I experience every time I experiment with organized religion or even talking to religious people about religion.
Condescension is prevalent. Telling me what I believe is wrong while I am wondering hhow they know, for example, what happens in the afterlife once one is accepted into heaven (and multitudes of BELIEFS that they put forth as FACT) ( And with a heaping dose of that condescension).
It always makes me feel better about myself when I come into contact with those who think they are better than me.

I would simply say you aren't called by God to join an 'organized religion'. He wants you to establish a relationship with him. That's where the life is. That's where the peace and joy are. There are some good churches out there and some very, very bad ones. There's a lot more of the bad than the good. Even the best can't establish that relationship for you.

SemperFiDawg

I think you might have a valid point SFD.

Yet does your before and after testimony represent how Christianity has ministered for the greatest part?

Perhaps testimony has its season and place. I recall a traveling minister who banked everything on his testimony from being in a drug culture biker club. His testimony rivetted many innocent folks in his audience not so much for what God did, but for what he was before what Jesus did for him. The point being that in most or all cases he was preaching to people who were not in drug culture biker clubs.

As a matter of fact I think you have a valid point or a valid testimony, but especially when you identify as in your "get ahead culture" and how destructive it is or can be without Christ. Alot of Christians are mislead in this culture and I think you have something useful to say. Yet alot of Christians are not mislead by this culture and so a testimony such as yours goes only so far to those focused especially on Christ who overcame temptation to get ahead.

Perhaps testimony has its season and place.

Perhaps??? We're talking about the ability of the God to bless people and you say that testimony about that "perhaps has it's season." As opposed to what exactly: some lengthy, superfluous, disconnected, philosophical exposition on doctrinal theology that very few, even in the Church, can understand?

You ask:

Let's see, Hmmm :unsure:: God developing individual relationships with people since day six. Yep, I think that's pretty much established precedent.:smash:

I ask you the same regarding your and others in-depth doctrinal discussions; Do your doctrinal discussions represent how Christianity has ministered for the greatest part?

Christ said:

And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Paul said:

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes:

not

For I am not ashamed of the deep theology discussion, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes:

God in Heaven declares

“Now have come the salvation and the power
and the kingdom of our God..
11 They triumphed over him
by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony
;
they did not love their lives so much
as to shrink from death.
12 Therefore rejoice, you heavens
and you who dwell in them!

so I find it comforting that you think people's testimony 'perhaps has it's season and place'.

Yet a lot of Christians are not mislead by this culture and so a testimony such as yours goes only so far to those focused especially on Christ who overcame temptation to get ahead.

Know any Christians, or non-Christians for that matter, who don't have any trouble in their life, any pain? I don't.

Back to:

I ask. Who does the ministering? You imply it's Christianity. In my case, it was God. Maybe that's where the disconnect is huh?

I give my personal testimony about God so that other lost simpletons like me may find that there's hope for them to: that He will do for them what he's done for me. IMHO someone who doesn't inherently know the power of a personal testimony doesn't have one. That was me before.

I only ask that my posts are not derailed by our resident theologians regardless of their feeling toward "its season and place." I don't think that's asking too much. Do you?

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

You are troubled because of your homocentric theology.

May God have you to start there.

Ho-mo-cen-tric theology. Pat yourself on the back for that one, because I don't see it ringing any bells down at the Waffle House, other than maybe your own.

Highlights just how useful most of Christianity is. and my frustration with it: this forum being a microcosm of it. The entire world is suffering, and all it's members do is throw out meaningless, dead words that make themselves feel good about using them. That Sir is why I am troubled.

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
SFD, it seems that Mark 5:18-20 would fall right in with your thoughts.

18 As He was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed was imploring Him that he might accompany Him.19 And He did not let him, but He *said to him, “Go home to your people and report to them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He had mercy on you.” 20 And he went away and began to proclaim in Decapolis what great things Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed.

The man was delivered from his demons, and as Jesus was about to leave, he wanted to go with him, but Jesus told him to go back to his own people and TESTIFY.

All he was told to do was report what God had done for him, and how His mercy changed his life. And guess what??? All those 'common simpletons' were amazed at the change in his life. I wonder how many sought out God after his testimony?

SemperFiDawg

SFD, it seems that Mark 5:18-20 would fall right in with your thoughts.

18 As He was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed was imploring Him that he might accompany Him.19 And He did not let him, but He *said to him, “Go home to your people and report to them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He had mercy on you.” 20 And he went away and began to proclaim in Decapolis what great things Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed.

The man was delivered from his demons, and as Jesus was about to leave, he wanted to go with him, but Jesus told him to go back to his own people and TESTIFY.

All he was told to do was report what God had done for him, and how His mercy changed his life. And guess what??? All those 'common simpletons' were amazed at the change in his life. I wonder how many sought out God after his testimony?

Good thing he didn't come here. His testimony would have been subverted
and seen as untimely by the doctrinal Pharisees intent on suppressing any actual evidence of a living, breathing, miracle working, God. God isn't actually dead to them, but he only exists so they can take him out of the shoe box and give lectures on him to impress others with their grandiose observations.

Last edited:

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Good thing he didn't come here. His testimony would have been subverted
and seen as untimely by the doctrinal Pharisees intent on suppressing any actual evidence of a living, breathing, miracle working, God. God isn't actually dead to them, but he only exists so they can take him out of the shoe box and give lectures on him to impress others with their grandiose observations.

I am attempting, unsuccessfully, to make a distinction between testimony to the possession of a spiritual essence which is infinitely holy ......................................and infinitely good, and a grandiose observation.

<<<added>>>
My memory may fail me, it happens, but I recall only affirmative comments when you testified to your interactions with God and His Spirit. However, when you asked a doctrinal question, and didn't like the response, you squeal like a stuck pig (or complained bitterly, if that slimily is too harsh).

Last edited:

gemcgrew

Ho-mo-cen-tric theology. Pat yourself on the back for that one, because I don't see it ringing any bells down at the Waffle House, other than maybe your own.
I see you've never been to my Waffle House. Everybody knows my name.

Highlights just how useful most of Christianity is. and my frustration with it: this forum being a microcosm of it. The entire world is suffering, and all it's members do is throw out meaningless, dead words that make themselves feel good about using them. That Sir is why I am troubled.
I am still seeing homocentric.

SemperFiDawg

I am attempting, unsuccessfully, to make a distinction between testimony to the possession of a spiritual essence which is infinitely holy ......................................and infinitely good, and a grandiose observation.

<<<added>>>
My memory may fail me, it happens, but I recall only affirmative comments when you testified to your interactions with God and His Spirit. However, when you asked a doctrinal question, and didn't like the response, you squeal like a stuck pig (or complained bitterly, if that slimily is too harsh).

I think a brief revisit the thread shows it wasn't the answers to the question asked that I objected to as I responded to the ones that were on topic and repeatedly tried to redirect back on topic. If you will recall it was you, yourself who actually noted the thread in question had been derailed at post #2, if memory serves correctly. Post #2. Think about that for a minute.

Last edited:

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
I think a brief revisit the thread shows it wasn't the answers to the question asked that I objected to as I responded to the ones that were on topic and repeatedly tried to redirect back on topic. If you will recall it was you, yourself who actually noted the thread in question had been derailed at post #2, if memory serves correctly. Post #2. Think about that for a minute.

#2 was dead on point. It was what happened after that to which I referred, and of which you authorized continuation.

Israel

BANNED
Who for the joy set before Him endured the cross.

Israel

BANNED
I know a brother who, in watching his dad dying, (a good and devout man as men would esteem, and to this man a most excellent guide into the love of Christ and father as any man might hope to have in the earth) came to that terrible place where his will and desire met the will of God. How to keep faith here...when all of such love seemed for the losing, the letting go into God's hands in not knowing outcome.

Not denying hope, but reaching for a greater hope of abiding faithful to the truest of Fathers this man prayed with tears..."thy will be done". This is the death of the saints.

It appeared an almost walking into a losing, for there seemed now the apparent loss of time in which this man might make known to his dad (as it pressed upon him as a thing more truly known than many other things he had known) just how much this man meant to him. It hurt. It hurt...a lot.

It was not that this man was a rebel, to the contrary, he was a devoted son. But this pressing to share his whole heart, finally...one last time, to make a full tying up of any what might appear "a loose end"...was slipping away. But faith assured him...even in all his weakness all is well.

Now this man has the fullness of his desire in that matter without shame. The thing which he desired to do...to make known the depth of his affections, to assure that man that his life had meant far more than was ever expressed to him while in the flesh, nor could be...is fully satisfied...the man who has "gone on" now knows the fullness of the love of Christ beyond imagining...and so delightedly sees his son (now fully brother in arms and heart) enduring in that same love as his joy is fullfilled...also beyond imagining.

What appeared the possibility of losing, and surrendering in will to a losing (as this is assuredly how it feels)...is all to gain and victory.

I don't believe this man "pulls God from a [shoe] box" in order to stand over others, as I have assuredly done in my own "soap boxing"...but rather shouts from a vantage to his comrades..."up higher, up higher, the high ground is ours and the victory is seen clearly from there"

My help has always come from on high...perhaps especially when I felt I could not (or didn't want to) go on...from too far away it sounded almost as taunt. But drawing near in strength not our own...we learn.

And this also is the death of the saints. To God it is most precious.

The crushing of "our own love" seems, and would be, apart from Christ the cruelest of intents...till we learn the sweet smell of the Rose of Sharon released in its bruising. For God's good pleasure and our salvation.

Jesus wept.

Listening for the spirit when a man is kicked by men or circumstance is worth all the enduring...it helps us see where Christ resides and where His death is being asked for in ministration.

Last edited: