Where does the idea that God is all knowing come from?

gordon 2

Where does the idea that God is all knowing come from? Does it say this in the bible? Have men and women studied this and come up with "yes, God is all knowing".

What do we mean when we say God is all knowing? Is the Lord all knowing about everything and every circumstance before the elements of circumstance form into an event?

Why is it written, " Who told you that you were naked?” asked the LORD God. “Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?

Is God into rhetorical questions or the Lord was not sure?

When Jesus says, "“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing." why bother wanting to gather the children together if God is all knowing that it ain't gona happen anytime soon?

And so God is at least knowing and all knowing of who's will man will be in relationship with at any time, anywhere?

In the test of Job, why this:

And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou?

So where does our ideas that God is all knowing come from, especially that God seems to ask questions because He is not certain of the spirits at any given time in the contexts I've listed above? This is usually the cause for some extra ordinary occurrence--say an occurrence as extra ordinary as when Christ witnesses is immediate to someone or a group of people. An example of this would be Christ ministering to Paul immediately. Why would it occur to God if he is all knowing, that he needs to ask, have to ask, "Why is something out of the ordinary here?" Why bother asking if God, He is all knowing?

Where does the idea that God is all knowing derived? Why do we say this? What do we mean? Do we have different conclusions as to meaning?

I bet hummerpoo is kicking up dust in heaven right now. :)

Last edited:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
How possibly could a man KNOW anything about god?
It's all about faith and what you believe.
Faith is not knowledge.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
God knew - He wanted Adam to know where Adam was?? How do you repent / turn around if you don’t know where you are? How would a God judge you justly with only knowing pieces about you? A God that can be trucked by isn’t a God of order and isn’t in control and will be subject to man’s manipulation.

The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.”

Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.

gordon 2

God knew - He wanted Adam to know where Adam was?? How do you repent / turn around if you don’t know where you are? How would a God judge you justly with only knowing pieces about you? A God that can be trucked by isn’t a God of order and isn’t in control and will be subject to man’s manipulation.

The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.”

Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.
Thank you for your response. How about we cannot hide, but we have will to do like Jonah, or Eve, or David, or... or any human being that is lost and found. Can we hide from God what we will do tomorrow or how we will turn on ethic or moral grounds for example?

If God addresses his offer of eternal life to all human beings in the world does God know who will take him up on the offer and who will not? And if He does why bother making the offer to all who are in the world? Why make it rain on the just and the unjust?

Why not make the address to those who He knows will answer His call? Why must the gospel be preached to those which God knows will not and cannot answer his alter call?

What part of God being God I do not understand in this case?

Does God know who is abled to repent and who cannot and if so, why would the Gospel be of any use to the world other than those who can repent?

I hope you understand my questioning better.

How do we come up with the idea that God is all knowing? Why does our theology claim this? Where do they get it from?

What is the use of being aware where you are planted ethically or morally on planet earth? Maybe you could expand on this. It seems a promising idea or observation.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Thank you for your response. How about we cannot hide, but we have will to do like Jonah, or Eve, or David, or... or any human being that is lost and found. Can we hide from God what we will do tomorrow or how we will turn on ethic or moral grounds for example?

If God addresses his offer of eternal life to all human beings in the world does God know who will take him up on the offer and who will not? And if He does why bother making the offer to all who are in the world? Why make it rain on the just and the unjust?

Why not make the address to those who He knows will answer His call? Why must the gospel be preached to those which God knows will not and cannot answer his alter call?

What part of God being God I do not understand in this case?

Does God know who is abled to repent and who cannot and if so, why would the Gospel be of any use to the world other than those who can repent?

I hope you understand my questioning better.

How do we come up with the idea that God is all knowing? Why does our theology claim this? Where do they get it from?

What is the use of being aware where you are planted ethically or morally on planet earth? Maybe you could expand on this. It seems a promising idea or observation.
My personal thought - if it’s offered and you reject, you’re without excuse to “be blind”. How do we know the unreachable is really unreachable by God? Are they really blind? Blind from unbelief or blind for lack of knowledge? “Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth”

We are in this world together with all kinds…..where the devil also is allowed to tempt - rains on us all. “And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him”

I believe God knows who will reject Him, or serve Him. Are they really lost, though? What does a Just God look for in judgment? Will He give them a chance at deaths door that we never see? “ For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.”

I believe Judas could have repented……..he did have sorrow - something pricked his heart.

Last edited: