Another off color

buckpasser

Last week the neighbor gut shot an ancient old buck that we’d been after for years. He thought he’d missed, but the owner found him laying dead by one of my trail cams. At the time no one knew about the gut shot, and coyotes took the blame. When I came in on Monday, I did a thorough examination and found the entry and exit wound. That didn’t stop coyotes from being the bad guys because the deer had been fed on.

Being the manager meant getting us some “street justice”, so I secured the buck to a tree and set around it. Night three produced coyote #8 of my career. It was a strange color. My associate described it as “cinnamon”. Unfortunately I am out of town on an Illinois deer hunt, so I couldn’t get more pics, but here he is. Young male.

This was my first time setting on a carcass, but it worked well.

DEB7BC2D-066B-457E-9F94-7289A0E8D746.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good job ! Now show us a picture of you holding a Illinois beast !

buckpasser

I passed on a huge 8 this morning because of age. Then I would have killed a big mature nine but just never got a perfectly clear shot. This is family land and there are quite a few ugly rack big bucks. I’m praying one of them screws up if nothing else.

buckpasser

It ain’t meant to be! Headed home. Had a great trip, but chose the betterment of the farm over the flexing of my trigger finger. Got to watch a big cull come out and die at the hand of a 6th grade boy last night which was great to be a part of.