Any Knife Collectors?

Dub

Dub I've had one of the Tri-Hones for probably about two years and I like it, I believe for your nephew it'll probably do just fine as a start without breaking the bank and congrats to him for achieving Eagle Scout ... that's quite an accomplishment!

Thank you.

I am mighty proud of him. He is very deliberate, determined and mighty hardworking.

He wants to shoot some .44mag, .45/70 and a pile of .45acp on my next trip home.

I have to get my butt busy and get some ammo ready.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The people that have a large amount of knives. Which steel would you say stays sharp the longest?
Generally the harder the steel the longer it holds an edge, but is also more difficult to get sharp when dull.
I am not sure of all of the various steels to recommemd one over the other specifically.

JonathanG2013

Generally the harder the steel the longer it holds an edge, but is also more difficult to get sharp when dull.
I am not sure of all of the various steels to recommemd one over the other specifically.

Very true. I have a folder with S90V steel. It takes a while to sharpen.

Reactions: rmp

krizia829

Don't have a picture of my actual knife, this is from google images but my favorite has to be my 50th Anniversary Edition Buck 110 folding knife. My dad has had one for years and I always like the look of it and how strong it feels and how well it fits my hands. I purchased it back when I worked at Bass Pro with my employee discount and it hasn't left my hunting backpack since! It's the only one I use to clean/process deer.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 3

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The people that have a large amount of knives. Which steel would you say stays sharp the longest?

I'd say a good stainless. With that said, I very much prefer carbon steel. 01 or ol Hank's vintage file knives.

The trick is to never let them get dull. Tetch em up as you use one with a butcher's steel or a porcelain rod.

JonathanG2013

I also have a Syperdrco Paramilitary, but the tip snap off when I dropped it on accident.

Would you use a wheel to reprofile it back to a point?

Anvil Head

I also have a Syperdrco Paramilitary, but the tip snap off when I dropped it on accident.

Would you use a wheel to reprofile it back to a point?
Not unless you are really skilled at grinding and controlling the heat build up. Wheels are very coarse and heat up steel very fast.
How much of the tip is missing?
PM sent

Jester896

Senior Clown
I reshaped my SOG when the tip snapped off slowly with my bench top sander with 400 grit then used my Lansky to get the angles correct on the edge.

It is pictured earlier in this thread.

JonathanG2013

I got a Sharpfinger back when they first came out on the market. Good knives and mine has skint a lot of critters and birds, even cleaned a few fish. I still break it out from time to time.

Only thing I did to it was to cold blue the blade.

Thanks, I think mine is at least over 30 years old.

Latest posts