Anybody hunt Bobcats with dogs??

HOG-HEAD

dont know anything about that, but i have heard of some ones deer dogs running one for a little while , right after they jump them , just like yotes the dont run them long...some of the old fox dog breeds may run them , they will burn up a yote.....if my dogs start running them , you can have them...i dont want nothing to with no bobcat:rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I used to a little back a long time ago. Most any hound breed can be trained to run and tree bobcats, actually it's something you usually have to break them from to make a good coon or bear dog out of them. I've treed several when coon hunting unintentionally. As for intentionally dogging them, we did it like bear hunting. We had a couple hounds at the time that were good trail and tree dogs, but not too straight. We'd ride the logging roads through the mountains when it snowed looking for a cat track crossing the road, then dump the box. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of work climbing miles through the mountains following the dogs. A bobcat will put on a heck of a race, and after it's treed will jump out of trees repeatedly and take off again if it sees you coming. It takes a dog that can really move a track to put one up a tree, and it often takes a dog with a really good nose that can move a cold track to get one up and jumped.

harpj1972

There's a man down here in Jesup, Joe Aspinwall who raises and trains "Cat dogs" they call em. Beagles I believe. We were just talkin about them tonight. Everyone says they're jam-up.

There's a man in Tennessee that does a lot of dry ground bobcat hunting. He advertises in one of the hound magazines. Very nice guy.

Last edited:

simpleman30

a lot of guys that hunt in the clubs around my club run bobcats with beagles. my deer beagles have run bobcats a few times. of course, they'll run coyotes, fox, and the occasional armadillo or turkey if they can't find anything else with a hot track. lol.

harpj, you mention aspinwall. is he any kin to the game warden aspinwall that patrols down that way? he's from jesup as well.

harpj1972

I'm sure he's probably related to Randy Aspinwall, the game warden, but I'm not sure how close. For all I know they could be brothers or 18th cousins nine times removed. Lots of Aspinwalls down here. Hunthard, I'll try to get his number and PM it to ya.

grouper throat

My great uncles (one in particular) use to cat hunt a lot around willacoochee. They hunted with black and tans and walkers. One of them has been dead awhile and the other hasn't had dogs in over a decade. I've heard a lot of the stories though and it sounds like a blast. They use to like to catch the cats on the ground and apparently a good pack of cat dogs can do that.

I was always scared to death as a young kid because their houses were full of cat mounts where their teeth were showing lol.

There's a few old guys around here that still cat hunt too. For some reason it only seems as there's older guys who hunt cats and there's not many left.

mule69

I'm sure he's probably related to Randy Aspinwall, the game warden, but I'm not sure how close. For all I know they could be brothers or 18th cousins nine times removed. Lots of Aspinwalls down here. Hunthard, I'll try to get his number and PM it to ya.
Randy and Joe are not brothers or close kin. Joe has as good of fox/cat dogs in the country. He is one of the few that still hunts outside of fox/coyote pens. I use to go listen to them run all the time when i lived down there. Byt that has been a lot of years. They don't shoot the bobcats just listen to them run. I got 6 stitches in my finger from one onetime when i was about 16 years old that the dogs had caught right beside the road. My boss and i had been in the sauce pretty good and decided to tie him up. Well he got Richard and he started hollering get him off get him off so i tried and he opened up my finger whith his claw. That was one of them life lessons that you can't get in any college.