AP poll

Madsnooker

Trying to respond to two post is hard at the same time. LOL.

DSGB, I agree with the 8-10 years being a little off. It was meant to be more of a stab to LSU. Sorry the humor didn't come through. Historically LSU has won the SEC about every 7.25 years since 1933 (12 times). The SEC split in 1992. As you stated since the split LSU won in 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011, and 2019 (6) and won 5 of their 12 SEC championships during that time. Averages out to every 4.67 years since the split for LSU. So averages out to every 5 years vice the 8-10.

BamaGeorgialine, Recent is a relative term. Six times in the last 20 years seemed relevant. No confusion on East and West. Bama, LSU, Auburn, T A&M, and then the three unidentified schools from Mississippi and Arkansas. Missouri left after only being here for about 8 years.

BLUF: The whole point I was trying to make (an evidentially failed attempt) is that the SEC West is much stronger than the SEC East. I don't think OSU would fair any better than LSU or Auburn in the SEC West. I think they would be more competitive in the SEC East as it currently stands. Until the recent re-emergence of Florida, Georgia hasn't had a lot of competition in the East in the last few years.
You do realize non of those teams you mentioned have recruited like OSU except Bama over the last 4 to 5 years. That's why they are so good. 247 recruiting site has a team ranking based on the current 85 players and OSU has been one or 2 the last 3 years. Theres more to it than just recruiting but that's a huge reason they are so good. Just because they are in the Big doesn't just make them middle of the road sec team. They put more players in the NFL besides Bama over the last 10 years. OSU was better than Clemson this year and beat them up in the trenches but they had self inflicted wounds that did them in. Yes they lost and it is what it is but to act like OSU was nothing special and is a middle of the pack sec team is just laughable.

Here is the link for the 85 man roster 247 composite.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Last edited:

3Cs

You do realize non of those teams you mentioned have recruited like OSU except Bama over the last 4 to 5 years. That's why they are so good. 247 recruiting site has a team ranking based on the current 85 players and OSU has been one or 2 the last 3 years. Theres more to it than just recruiting but that's a huge reason they are so good. Just because they are in the Big doesn't just make them middle of the road sec team. They put more players in the NFL besides Bama over the last 10 years. OSU was better than Clemson this year and beat them up in the trenches but they had self inflicted wounds that did them in. Yes they lost and it is what it is but to act like OSU was nothing special and is a middle of the pack sec team is just laughable.

Here is the link for the 85 man roster 247 composite.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

So first of I never said they would be middle of the pack. I just don't think they would consistently be a lead dog in the SEC West (more to follow on that below). They had a really good team this year and they finished about where I expected them to finish, fourth or fifth. They are automatically going to finish that high most years due to playing in the Big Ten. Easy to win that championship when there isn't a lot of competition. The same could be said of all but 1 of the power 5 conferences, the SEC. Clemson is able to squash the talk of a weak conference by making it to the NC game the 4 of the last 5 years and winning two of them. Something OSU hasn't done since 2014.

You do realize that OSU has zero competition in recruiting up north. Due to that they do a tremendous job and they do put a lot of players into the NFL. So I don't disagree with that statement. One thing to note is that their local recruiting is not overlapped by another power five conference. Now let's look at the south. The SEC and the ACC have overlapping recruiting areas and over the past decade the teams out of those two conferences has won 9 of the last 10 National Championships. All of other conferences combined only 1 (OSU). Six of those championships came out of the SEC West. Aside from the 2014 OSU championship, I simply don't think over the past decade that they could have competed in the SEC West and made it to (1) the SEC Championship and then (2) on to win the NC. They would need to run the table on Alabama, Auburn, and LSU. I just don't see that happening as six of the last 10 years those three teams won it all. This is the laughable part I think you were subconsciously referring to in your previous post.

Urban's two championships at Florida (which is one more than he won at OSU) was not Myer recruited kids. Ron Zook and Dan Mullen recruited the majority of that championship team. The only thing Urban Myer did was walk in to a great situation and ride Tim Tebow's coat tails. When Tebow left and his record dropped to 8-5, he had heart problems and needed to step away from the game. Welcome to recruiting and coaching in the SEC. Guess it was too much on you. Hardest place to do both anywhere in the US. That is why i laughed at Lane Kiffin and Jimbo Fisher coming to the West. Guess the money was good enough to know you will probably never win a championship there. Urban did however learn something from those SEC coaches, recruit from the south to win Championships in this day and age. Their lone championship this past decade was based on a solid defense that centered around a kid from south Florida named Joey Bosa. Not to take away from what Zeke did offensively, but defenses win championships. For the most part (past decade to frame the conversation) Championship teams recruit D Linemen from the Gulf Coast States.

The whole OSU was better than Clemson argument is a stretch. Being the best on paper doesn't mean a whole lot when you lose the game head to head. As my man The Nature Boy Ric Flair said, "Styling and Profiling... to be the man you have to beat the man".

3Cs

To clarify before any comments to correct one of my pervious statements. I know OSU finished 3rd, which is very respectable. Going into the season I assumed they would finish 4th or 5th. So, they in fact exceeded my expectations. Congrats to the OSU fans and Big Ten Champs. Great season.

Latest posts