Arrow Questions

HIGH COUNTRY

I want to start zeroing in on arrows that I would use hunting. Again, been shooting about nine weeks.

I jumped too far going from 35 to 45 lbs a couple of weeks ago. Ordered some 40 lb limbs and I got them yesterday after 22 days from China Black Hunter, started shooting them some last night and I think my accuracy will improve a lot iin next few days. It just was not enjoyable, too much work and I just felt over bowed with 45 lbs at this time. The 40 actually feels closer to the 35 than it does to the 45 - go figure.

I had originally order some I think 400's legacy carbon, and I found out that they were considered too stiff. I got some dark timber from Big JIms 500's, and they shoot well in 45 and seem to in the 40 lb.

I did notice that the legacy have a little more helical than the straight fletch on the dark timbers.

I prob will shoot about a 135 grain zwickey head I think. I do have a relatively short draw, like 28 or so inches.

What combo do I need to shoot for (no pun intended) for the forty lb versus the forty five If hopefully when I can work up to it?

Do I need to try extra weight inserts on either weights?

Especially on fletching it would seem to me that the helical would help control the broadhead better esp for me as a new shooter more prone to inconsistency?

Really appreciate, if I could acquire all the traditional knowledge on here and Son Andersons woods skills; I would be a real threat to sw ga deer herd!

Antfinn88

I ordered some heavy field points (225gr) for my 40lb longbow and they fly great now. Arrows are 600 spine black eagle and 700 spine gt warriors. I'm a 27.5inch draw but my arrows are anywhere between 28"and 30" I've noticed the longer arrows with the heavy field points fly better for me but you just have to play around and find out what works for you.

splatek

UAEC
Just my opinion, but you might want to get a bow poundage tester. They’re inexpensive. I shoot the same bow and depending on where you get the limbs they can be off a great deal.

Like @Antfinn88 said you gotta play around and tune. I’ve had two of the same bow, Same poundage, and they liked different arrows. To me it’s what’s fun about it.

Good luck.