Atlanta and Metro Priavte Schools - Unfair and Uneven Playing Field

BeerThirty

...whereas public school standouts just walk on the field, no extra charge...
Not entirely true. I know it's just a spit in the bucket compared to all-inclusive cost of going to private school, but here in Coweta County I am paying $600/yr for my son to play football at a public school. My jaw dropped when I first learned this because HS football was a free sport back when I played in the early 2000s.

basshappy

BANNED
Our property taxes where we live are HIGH to support the public schools here. So we pay that, then we pay for two youngest to be in private schools, and add in the gas for driving to those two different private schools. Not complaining about our choices. No way was my boy going to local public schools. Kids behavior there is atrocious. I was able to get one of my step kids switched into the private schools as well.

twtabb

I try everyday to make our small single public school better. Our tennis team went to elite 8. Got put out by a private school. Most seemed to have private coaches. After we got put out our kids dropped their rackets and went to work on the farms or started running track.

We graduate 50 seniors last year came in 2nd in our football region 1st was Early county three times our
size.

We try our best, have to work with what’s gets off the bus. Easy to kick a kid out of private but public have ten hoops to jump through to get rid of them.

Got a few coming that left public and went to private are starting to come back.
Do what we can to educate them all but some don’t want it. Still have to deal with them.

GT90

So I’m clear on this, I‘m required by law to pay taxes to support failed public schools. If I pay private tuition along with my school taxes and my kid succeeds in academics and sports I’m the one with the problem.
No, but not because you pay private tuition along with school taxes, but because your kid succeeds.

MudDucker

Staff member
I went to Marist and I come from the time when no private schools in the state were in the running for any state championships in the Big 3 and that professional team from Valdosta was slated to walk away with the foobaw state championship every year so I'm having a hard time having much sympathy for the public school folks. Y'all dominated high school sports since the beginning of time.

As one who was in the farm system for that professional team, I hate to see other so envious of the results of so much hard work from myself and my fellow players. We had a great coach and he could motivate you to run through a brick wall. I got my knee busted up and couldn't play anymore after jr high, but most of the guys were my friends. There were a LOT of games won by two things 1) superior coaching and 2) a bunch of guys who played as a team and could not stand to loose.

However, to show you how we weren't professional, I give you Andy Johnson as Exhibit A, the one man team from Athens.

Oh and I was exiled to local private school for two years and I can assure you, we weren't competitive in any sport except partying.

SpotandStalk

Recruiting rules should be the same for all schools competing in a classification.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
As one who was in the farm system for that professional team, I hate to see other so envious of the results of so much hard work from myself and my fellow players. We had a great coach and he could motivate you to run through a brick wall. I got my knee busted up and couldn't play anymore after jr high, but most of the guys were my friends. There were a LOT of games won by two things 1) superior coaching and 2) a bunch of guys who played as a team and could not stand to loose.

However, to show you how we weren't professional, I give you Andy Johnson as Exhibit A, the one man team from Athens.

Oh and I was exiled to local private school for two years and I can assure you, we weren't competitive in any sport except partying.

When I went to Marist it was all boys, all ROTC all the time. Some of the guys on our football team played both sides of the ball every play of the game.