August Gales Bad For Harvesting Tobacco

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Being what some might characterize as a "city boy", I can remember the 6:00 p.m. local TV news decades ago reporting the number of barrels of naval stores and bales of cotton on the docks for export at the Savannah port as well as the auction prices for flue cured tobacco in the adjoining counties. Before seeing this thread I had commented to a friend just yesterday who grew up in the Pennsylvania tobacco farming area where on his club's hunting property there was an old shack were an old woman lived. She lived in the shack and watched over the sheep on his friend's grandfather's property. She didn't drive, but someone would carry her to town to buy supplies and would also buy a bale of cigar tobacco, bring it back to her shack, strip it out and sell her product on the next town trip. She'd live off the profit which couldn't have been much. The old shack still stands on the property. It had no running water or electricity. Ken had sent me a photo of the Greener and I had commented on the structure and he told me the background. tobacco shack.jpgHere's the door to the shack. Gil

Redbow

Being what some might characterize as a "city boy", I can remember the 6:00 p.m. local TV news decades ago reporting the number of barrels of naval stores and bales of cotton on the docks for export at the Savannah port as well as the auction prices for flue cured tobacco in the adjoining counties. Before seeing this thread I had commented to a friend just yesterday who grew up in the Pennsylvania tobacco farming area where on his club's hunting property there was an old shack were an old woman lived. She lived in the shack and watched over the sheep on his friend's grandfather's property. She didn't drive, but someone would carry her to town to buy supplies and would also buy a bale of cigar tobacco, bring it back to her shack, strip it out and sell her product on the next town trip. She'd live off the profit which couldn't have been much. The old shack still stands on the property. It had no running water or electricity. Ken had sent me a photo of the Greener and I had commented on the structure and he told me the background. View attachment 1096889Here's the door to the shack. Gil

Looks about like the old farm house I was raised in, we had no running water as long as we lived there but we did get electricity in 1955.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Looks about like the old farm house I was raised in, we had no running water as long as we lived there but we did get electricity in 1955.
An old friend who was born last in a big family told me that her family lived in a cabin that had no running water and a dirt floor back on what is now Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah. This had to be back in the 1930s before the land was taken for the airfield just before WWII. Gil

BriarPatch99

<iframe width="544" height="408" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="742" height="408" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Redbow

<iframe width="544" height="408" src="

<iframe width="742" height="408" src="

I know my Grandpa would have never used that thing with his tobacco. Grandpa hated machinery that harvested crops he always said they were wasteful. Grandpa did all his harvesting by hand that way he took all of his crop to the barn, right where he wanted it.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
My Uncle got one of the new bulk barn rigs, but Daddy would have no part in such. We also picked cotton by hand too.

Redbow

My Uncle got one of the new bulk barn rigs, but Daddy would have no part in such. We also picked cotton by hand too.

We picked cotton by hand also. I helped other people pick cotton and my pay was one cent per pound. When I picked 200 pounds I had 2 bucks, enough for me to buy a box of Federal shotgun shells to hunt the fall with.

j_seph

Y'all folks are a lil older than me but I can remember going up to our property in TN. We'd go get hay for the cows and the old fella had a barn there which had tobacco leaves hanging in it. I can still vaginally remember the smell and tearing off a piece of leaf to taste it as a 12-14 year old

Latest posts