Auto Insurance

Glenn2399

GEICO. Got my renewal notice. Premiums went up to $1274.10 for six months. That is with $650.20 of supposed discounts. Car is a 2023 Honda Odyssey. Paid $49,000 in April of this year. Comprehensive has a $100 deductible and collision a $200 deductible. I am 77 years old and the only driver. Last ticket was in 1976. In 61 years of driving I've had one minor accident backing out of my driveway. Barely scraped a parked car. This was 12 years ago. Bottom line is $2550.00 per year for a car valued at tops $45,000. My house is valued at $300,000 and Homeowners Insurance is $3600.00 a year. I live in Central Florida. Can anyone suggest a decent company with more reasonable rates? I will call GEICO and see if raising my deductibles will help. Thanks.

Toliver

They all seem to be going this way. My wife said our rates went up with an explanation that it was to cover all the bad drivers. So in essence, I'm paying for their insurance? I think it's straight up greed as they clear billions on profit. If anyone can answer your question with a good insurance company with better rates, I'll be glad to know about them.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
GEICO. Got my renewal notice. Premiums went up to $1274.10 for six months. That is with $650.20 of supposed discounts. Car is a 2023 Honda Odyssey. Paid $49,000 in April of this year. Comprehensive has a $100 deductible and collision a $200 deductible. I am 77 years old and the only driver. Last ticket was in 1976. In 61 years of driving I've had one minor accident backing out of my driveway. Barely scraped a parked car. This was 12 years ago. Bottom line is $2550.00 per year for a car valued at tops $45,000. My house is valued at $300,000 and Homeowners Insurance is $3600.00 a year. I live in Central Florida. Can anyone suggest a decent company with more reasonable rates? I will call GEICO and see if raising my deductibles will help. Thanks.
Had an insurance company tell me once that I was due according to statistics.

Big7

The Oracle
My State Farm went up a good bit recently and I've been with them almost 30 years without an accident or claim.

I looked around a little and most carriers are within a few dollars a month of each other.

I'm going to find out if I can still get USAA since Daddy passed away. It's supposed to be cheaper for military families. Pretty sure Mama still has it.

Glenn2399

My State Farm went up a good bit recently and I've been with them almost 30 years without an accident or claim.

I looked around a little and most carriers are within a few dollars a month of each other.

I'm going to find out if I can still get USAA since Daddy passed away. It's supposed to be cheaper for military families. Pretty sure Mama still has it.

Redbow

Had an insurance company tell me once that I was due according to statistics.
State Farm used to do that way back in the sixties. I had state farm back then but never again. My car insurance also went up this year with Farm Bureau, and home owners about $3400 per year now, goes up every year. I don't know of any insurance company that doesn't increase their prices every year for home and auto.

hipster dufus

Just went thru this, significant increase, homeowners and auto. Shopped around. Couldnt be my current carrier. Retired, no commute, 1k, ded. Cant win this battle

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

Thanks for the replies. Just spoke with USAA and went with them. Raised both deductibles to $1000.00. Six month premium went from $1274 to $816.

I just fired USAA after being with them for better than 35 years. Gave them every opportunity, too.

Farm Bureau saved me $120 a month.

Insurance is a dang racket...

DannyW

I just fired USAA after being with them for better than 35 years. Gave them every opportunity, too.

Farm Bureau saved me $120 a month.

Insurance is a dang racket...
Dang right. They use actuarial tables in their rate setting.

(Actuarial science is the discipline that applies mathematical and statistical methods to assess risk in insurance, pension, finance, investment and other industries and professions.)

This allows them to legally discriminate when it comes to age (younger and older people pay more), sex or gender (young males pay more than young women), disabilities (physically disabled people pay more), race (black men pay more for life insurance that white men).

Try applying their standards when hiring and you will find yourself in deep guano.

snooker1

Progressive Ins is what I have. 2019 F250 Superduty. Last Year it was $910.00 every 6 months, just got my renewal notice and it has gone up to $1516.00 every 6 months. I have NO tickets, NO Accidents, and no Clams in the past 25 years! I shopped the insurance around and could not find anything more than 82 dollars cheaper ever 6 months.

ScLowCountry

I have State farm and pay 98 dollars a month for 23 Honda Ridgeline. I'm 31 with last ticket 8 years ago. No accidents. I did just file a claim with them due to someone hitting my truck in a parking lot. They said they would not raise my rates for filing a claim. they were extremely helpful in the process. I have no complaints. I wonder why you guys are paying so much more for car insurance.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Rates are being increased due to cost of repair parts and material.
Try https://www.auto-owners.com/ for a quote. They also give a
descent discount if premium is paid in full when due. Also issue homeowners insurance.
This makes sense as we were just scratching our head with the increase. We have a 2000 Tacoma, a 2012 Camry and a 2021 mid range German car. The newest one has the lowest rates as the Tacoma and Camry premiums have doubled over last year.

ryanh487

Progressive nearly doubled my rate in February. I called and told them they would need to correct that immediately or I would take my 4 policies to another insurer that day. They requoted me at about a 12% hike which was expected and acceptable.

DannyW

I have State farm and pay 98 dollars a month for 23 Honda Ridgeline. I'm 31 with last ticket 8 years ago. No accidents. I did just file a claim with them due to someone hitting my truck in a parking lot. They said they would not raise my rates for filing a claim. they were extremely helpful in the process. I have no complaints. I wonder why you guys are paying so much more for car insurance.
"They said they would not raise my rates for filing a claim."

No, they likely won't for a first time with a good record. But trust me, you have an "incident" on your record.

Our policy has suffered 3 accidents in the last 2 years, two were our fault and one was not our fault. I had a discussion with our agent and they said the one that was not our fault was still considered an "incident" by the insurance company. Therefore, I should expect a rate increase.

They went on to say recently another one of their clients has had 3 accidents in the last year, none of which were their fault, and had their rate dramatically increased. The insurance companies rationale? They considered the insured to be, for whatever reason, accident prone.

As Railroader said, it's a racket. Ever heard of a major insurance company filing Chapter 13?

There is a reason for that.

westcobbdog

Progressive nearly doubled my rate in February. I called and told them they would need to correct that immediately or I would take my 4 policies to another insurer that day. They requoted me at about a 12% hike which was expected and acceptable.
"Progressives" is owned by the USA hatin social loving George Soros. Dump of sons of guns when you can.
I would uninsure the Hope Diamond before I insured anything with those BLM lovin fools.

Toliver

"Progressives" is owned by the USA hatin social loving George Soros. Dump of sons of guns when you can.
I would uninsure the Hope Diamond before I insured anything with those BLM lovin fools.
Since you said this I asked my wife (because I just don't keep up with it) who we had. And of course it's Progressive. So I checked and found several sources that said George Soros has no affiliation with at all with Progressive Insurance. There was apparently something going around the interwebs about this because of his Progressive Movement or whatever it was. Here's one of the sources and it names the primary stock holding entities. I can't say he doesn't have any affiliation with any of the companies mentioned but he certainly doesn't own the insurance company.

Latest posts