Auto Insurance

westcobbdog

Since you said this I asked my wife (because I just don't keep up with it) who we had. And of course it's Progressive. So I checked and found several sources that said George Soros has no affiliation with at all with Progressive Insurance. There was apparently something going around the interwebs about this because of his Progressive Movement or whatever it was. Here's one of the sources and it names the primary stock holding entities. I can't say he doesn't have any affiliation with any of the companies mentioned but he certainly doesn't own the insurance company.

trust
Well Tol think of it this way...Soros funds errry kinda left leaning cause out there. Where is he getting those funds?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
My State Farm went up a good bit recently and I've been with them almost 30 years without an accident or claim.

I looked around a little and most carriers are within a few dollars a month of each other.

I'm going to find out if I can still get USAA since Daddy passed away. It's supposed to be cheaper for military families. Pretty sure Mama still has it.
Have had State Farm since 86 with the same policy number.

They increase regularly but no one has been able to beat them - for me.

earlthegoat2

My wife had several “incidents”. None her fault. Two involved an animal.

The raccoon cost $6000 and the deer cost $1200. They were salty about that raccoon strike and thought for sure we were frauding them. We weren’t.

Not long after they just dropped us. Just said they would no longer insure us.

We are still driving that car with 290k on it now.

You have to shop around for insurance every 2 years. Either to find a better rate or use those quotes to strong arm your current provider into lowering their rates for you.

You know, the kind of work everyone loves to do.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is ridiculous. I have a 2018 Frontier and a 2018 Rogue with liability, collision, and comprehensive with $0 deductible for about half what you quoted in the OP, with Allstate. That's for both vehicles. Of course, I'm in NC, so the rates may be different than GA. My wife hit a deer a couple years ago, and they fixed her car that was messed up pretty bad for $0 and no rate increase, and not a word about it?

menhadenman

I just fired USAA after being with them for better than 35 years. Gave them every opportunity, too.

Farm Bureau saved me $120 a month.

Insurance is a dang racket...
Me too - had USAA since the 80s and dropped them after they gave me a hard time about a minor bumper repair. They used to be the best in the biz but I think they’ve slipped.

I got quotes on package deals from about three other places and went with State Farm. May have another look soon as all three kids will be driving soon. Not gonna be pretty.

Buford_Dawg

Been with State Farm since I turned 17, still with them 43 years later, same policies. Did get a 100.00 rate increase every 6 months last month, called on it and was told every insurance provider in the state had to go up. Apparently SF had the lowest increase. I can not find any cheaper insurance, too many discounts with home, vehicle, camper and umbrella.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Me too - had USAA since the 80s and dropped them after they gave me a hard time about a minor bumper repair. They used to be the best in the biz but I think they’ve slipped.

I got quotes on package deals from about three other places and went with State Farm. May have another look soon as all three kids will be driving soon. Not gonna be pretty.
They have slipped for sure.

Remember when you could get a live and helpful person on the phone 24 hours a day?

Remember the dividend checks that would show up in December?

The day I fired them, it took me 15 minutes to get a person on the phone, I couldn't half understand, and they flat refused to give me a manager.

They got too dang big for their britches, and went from First to Worst...

I'd hate to know the total amount I paid them over the years. Pure profit for them.

CamoClad

Rates are being increased due to cost of repair parts and material.
Try https://www.auto-owners.com/ for a quote. They also give a
descent discount if premium is paid in full when due. Also issue homeowners insurance.
AA was about $1000 cheaper for us (home + auto bundle, pay one time a year, no escrow) than Encompass who we had been with for about 10 years. I sent the AA quote to Encompass because I really didn't want to change companies and they wouldn't move on their price so we switched. This was last month.

BeerThirty

I was recently involved in an auto accident that resulted in a personal injury settlement of nearly $250k to the other party. I learned a lot through that process, especially about the importance of higher limits and umbrella liability (which I did not have). Guys, in today's sue-happy world, you need at least 1MM in coverage and I would suggest more if you can afford it (especially if you have kids or a business). Having been through this and the possibility of losing everything, it literally sickens me every time I hear or see an ad for an injury attorney.

I say all that to say... through all of that, my rates never actually increased other than the fact that I lost my "safe driver" discount for 6 months. No rate increases at all. Discount double check.

DannyW

We had a discussion on here about USAA a few years ago. I had just been insurance shopping and got quotes from several companies. The quote from USAA was more than $2,000 pricier than any of the other companies.

I was flabbergasted and gave the represenative the other quotes. They responded that USAA wasn't the cheapest, but they provided the very best service.

I went with Auto-Owners which was $2,500 less than USAA.

trkyhnt89

It's a racket that's for sure. I've been with state farm since I could drive at 16.....so 18 years now. Have a life insurance, multiple trailers, and 4 commercial auto vehicles for my business. The rates have gone up but I can't find anyone to beat them, especially with the commercial policies.

livetohunt

The number of texting crashes has skyrocketed, and insurance companies have to pass the expenses off to customers.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It's a racket that's for sure. I've been with state farm since I could drive at 16.....so 18 years now. Have a life insurance, multiple trailers, and 4 commercial auto vehicles for my business. The rates have gone up but I can't find anyone to beat them, especially with the commercial policies.
Auto Owners gave us the best rate for commercial policies. Our agent is great too

cowhornedspike

About a year ago mine went up crazy high. Went to my agent and "talked" for awhile with only a very minimal decrease, and then I shopped for new insurance through the Dave Ramsey providers link on his website. I was put in contact with an agent in FL who quoted me waaay less than Cotton States (country financial) had raised me too. Went from 900+ 6 months down to 350 6 mths and considerably better coverage. Saved me over 1k per year on my auto. 1 2005 vehicle, no tickets no accidents. No good reason it should have gone up.
I had been with them for many years.
Learned my lesson. Shop as soon as it goes up.

Latest posts