Baby Doe's Matchless Mine Atlanta

Artfuldodger

Does anyone remember this restaurant?

Baby Doe's Matchless Mine was a landmark in Atlanta in 1985. The two- tiered restaurant and bar was lodged into the side of a hill overlooking I-285. The restaurant served over 400 hundred and the nightclub was designed as a mine shaft below which opened into a complete dance and bar wonderland complete with couches and comfy chairs, bar stools, and a old wooden plank-style dance floor.

The basic layout included an entrance made to look like a mineshaft, flanked by various mining-related artifacts such as tipple cars on narrow gauge rails and rusting hoist machinery. Inside, "down the mineshaft" as it were, one of two paths led down to the bar, while the other ascended to a dining room. Both rooms were heavily clad in the dark, rough-hewn timbering resonant of the interior of a mine, while, at the same time being furnished in high Victorian chintz and carpeting. And, as if to provide further cognitive disonance, both public spaces enjoyed un-underworld-like floor-to-ceiling glass windows facing "the view."

http://www.babydoe.org/restaurant.htm

I think I read that it was on Powers Ferry. Here is a picture;

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/467459636294743639/

specialk

met one of my wives there....swinging joint back in the day.....

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
That was a popular prom spot. We were always too poor to eat there. Once I finally got to the point in my life where I could afford to go there, it closed.

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
That was a popular prom spot. We were always too poor to eat there. Once I finally got to the point in my life where I could afford to go there, it closed.

Same here!!:smash:

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I barely remember going to dinner there with H22. Can't even remember who all we went with. I do remember the food was good. Cool place. :cool:

Da Possum

Campfire Helper
mrs. hornet22 = very drunk when she went to baby doe's

twtabb

I think I went there when I lived in Atlanta back in the 80's but there is a lot of things/people I don't remember from back then.

I did like Ray's on the river and I actually remember going there several times. That was one of my go to spots with a new lady friend.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was a regular there back in the late 80's - made some very bad decisions at the Doe (get it)? Very cool place.

Latest posts