Bad Box of Core-Lokt??

waldenjg

I am going to try to put the whole story here so bare with me.
I have a Model 700 that fell under the recent Recall due to the Possible Trigger malfunction. Instead of sending my rifle in to Remington I decided the factory trigger was a little heavy for my taste and was planning of replacing the trigger anyway. So, this recall pushed my plans up and I ordered my 3# Timney Replacement Trigger for the model 700 and installed it. While siting in the new optics that I also installed I pulled the trigger 5 times and 2 of those were misfires. I have never had a misfire before these.

I did some research and found that one cause was a light hammer strike and that Timney has an updated sear for the model 700 but this was a few years ago. I called Timney and they had modified the trigger but did have an updated sear just in case. I shipped the trigger back and quickly it was returned with the updated sear reset to 3# pull and tested by Timney. I reinstalled the trigger and sited it in 5 shots 2 misfires but she was on target. I always checked the dimple left by the firing pin and it was always solid, after the sear replacement sometimes the primer would be concave.
Well, this weekend I FINALLY see some brown, 3 doe about 200 yards away up wind. "CLICK" count to 30 slowly and eject the round, now I am irritated, second shot fired. Day 2 I am lined up with a pretty doe and stable platform 300 yard shot, "CLICK" wait 30 for cook-off, rechamber, "CLICK" resist the urge to sling the .270 out of the blind and wait my 30 secs for cook-off.

By this time I am done and I pill out my son's .243 and just play with some targets. Later I set that box of rounds to the side and open a new box of core-lokts and fire 6 shots problem free. I have marked the box bad and moved on. Just hoping I can get another one in my sites before season is over.

Would love suggestions on a possible bad batch or just a bum rifle.

DSGB

No way I would have taken that gun/ammo hunting until I figured out the problem. Try the ammo in a different gun and different ammo in that gun and see where the problem lies.

Brian from GA

I have an entire box of 243 Core Lokt here that I bought a year ago. We had shot all but 4 of my sons Hornady so I bought the Remington to replace them back when bullets first started coming back down in price from the super high price gouge.

My son killed his first deer last year with this 243. Last Saturday he sat by himself for the first time and had a "click" on a doe. A half hour later had a "click" on a 7 point. Same bullet. He didn't know to swap. When I went and got him he handed me his bullets and one had a perfect dent in the primer or what ever the firing pin hits. I grabbed another bullet and pulled the trigger. "Click". Spun the bullet, "Click".Grabbed a Hornady bullet and bang.

I asked my son to go find the cartridge he killed the deer with last year and it was one of the Remington bullets. At least one worked.

FOLES55

I had a .243 box of corelokts last year and couldn't believe it when I saw it. One bullet was upside down in the cartridge. Well I called Remington and they took care of me, gave the money to buy a new box and paid for shipping to get whatever was left over from the box with jacked up bullet for further investigations on their end of it. I still hunt with corelokts to this day and love em. just my.002

The Rodney

The first time a I "shot" at a deer a 30.06 core lockt clicked on me. Tried it in two other guns no discharge. I should have sent that round to Remington and let them know I missed my first buck because of that. Oh, the deer ran and was shot by my buddy five minutes later to add insult to injury, circa 1989. Sorry to hear it man.

waldenjg

No way I would have taken that gun/ammo hunting until I figured out the problem. Try the ammo in a different gun and different ammo in that gun and see where the problem lies.

Agree, however it is all I have. I did try a new box and they all fired just fine.

I am going to try to put the whole story here so bare with me.
I have a Model 700 that fell under the recent Recall due to the Possible Trigger malfunction. Instead of sending my rifle in to Remington I decided the factory trigger was a little heavy for my taste and was planning of replacing the trigger anyway. So, this recall pushed my plans up and I ordered my 3# Timney Replacement Trigger for the model 700 and installed it. While siting in the new optics that I also installed I pulled the trigger 5 times and 2 of those were misfires. I have never had a misfire before these.

I did some research and found that one cause was a light hammer strike and that Timney has an updated sear for the model 700 but this was a few years ago. I called Timney and they had modified the trigger but did have an updated sear just in case. I shipped the trigger back and quickly it was returned with the updated sear reset to 3# pull and tested by Timney. I reinstalled the trigger and sited it in 5 shots 2 misfires but she was on target. I always checked the dimple left by the firing pin and it was always solid, after the sear replacement sometimes the primer would be concave.
Well, this weekend I FINALLY see some brown, 3 doe about 200 yards away up wind. "CLICK" count to 30 slowly and eject the round, now I am irritated, second shot fired. Day 2 I am lined up with a pretty doe and stable platform 300 yard shot, "CLICK" wait 30 for cook-off, rechamber, "CLICK" resist the urge to sling the .270 out of the blind and wait my 30 secs for cook-off.

By this time I am done and I pill out my son's .243 and just play with some targets. Later I set that box of rounds to the side and open a new box of core-lokts and fire 6 shots problem free. I have marked the box bad and moved on. Just hoping I can get another one in my sites before season is over.

Would love suggestions on a possible bad batch or just a bum rifle.

the same thing happened to me two years ago, snapped at a 8 point, chaulked it up to a misfire and snapped two weeks later at a doe. When to the range to test the gun and shot a full (different) box of core-lokts no issues. Called Remington and they gave we a credit in the mail to purchase another box, Never used it, I now shot Federal. If you are getting good firing pin contact it is the ammo not the gun.

WLhunter

Saw it with Hornady too..buddy missed a 8 pt last year with the leverevoltion in a 35 remington. Click..Good dimple no boom.

slow motion

Had a misfire on one Friday. In .35 but still corelock. Had a bad batch about 15 years ago. Sent them back Remington test fired the rest. Said they had no problems. Sent me a check for a new box. Never had that problem again till Friday. Nice deep dent in the primer but no bang. In my case he was a little smaller than I originally thought so probably for the best that he walked away.

Core Lokt

I have shot several boxes over the yrs in .243 and .06 and never have had a misfire.

:knocking on wood:

tmann1990

Remington quality has dropped significantly since they were bought out, across the board. Shoddy workmanship, putting out guns with safety issues, horrible ammo. The only issue I've had myself is a box of UMC 223 with two projectiles loaded upside down. Enough to swear off Remington until something changes.
If I were you I'd go with Hornady, Nosler or Federal Premium

Georgia Hard Hunter

I'm sure it could be a problem with the bullet, but its never happened to me I shoot core-lokts in 30-06, .243, .270, and 35 in 30 + years of hunting I've never had a problem its always been the Deadliest Mushroom in the Woods

KentuckyHeadhunter

Never had an issue either. Love them. But, if I'm not mistaken, I believe the 35 Rem cartridge is known for this. I have read about light strikes because of something to do with the design of the round.

T-N-T

My 18 year old cousin attempted to shoot his first doe/deer this year wit ha 270 Core-lokt and it went click. He is still angry.