Bald eagle on our farm

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Eastern Troup county
Seen them for years on West Point and around flat shoals but never on the farm. Got it in video not a great one but it’s proof.
When I was a kid growing up I always thought it would be cool to see one on our place. Here you go

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That’s pretty cool! Not something everyone’s has.

specialk

i was at the daytona 500 couple weeks ago, theres a big lake inside the track on the back stretch called lake llyod.....during pre-race festivities im looking around and see this huge bird coming from the lake toward our seats (we were seated high up as you could get) and i spotted something hanging from the bird, it came straight toward us...i punched my son and when it came over it was a bald eagle with about a 3lb bass in its claws....happened to quick to get any video......

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The apartment I lived in when commuting to MSP had a boat dock on the lake outback. I spent many evenings with a fly rod catching bream. One evening it sounded like a tree near me had a limb falling out. I quickly looked up and an Eagle was flapping her wings and snapping off small limbs.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Throwback, Thank You for sharing the sighting of your local Bald Eagle with all of us.

I absolutely love Bald Eagles as they make me feel really proud to be an American and I have been really fortunate to probably see close to 75-100 over the past 20 years.

Most of these sightings took place while I was on a vacation in Alaska back several years now. Every sighting just always makes me feel so proud to have been able to watch them in flight and also as they captured huge fish and so easily took those fish back up into their nest in a tree to enjoy their lunch as well. I was also amazed at just how large these Eagles were when I was able to have a "close encounter" in watching one very close-by.

My Daughter is an ace "wild-life" photographer and she took the photo here in Georgia that you see in every one of my posts as she gifted it to me many years ago to use for my avatar here. She always knew that I loved Eagles as I was called "Eagle Eye" by all of my friends for many years while growing up and this was thanks to my Father teaching me really well on how to actually see most every detail of the outdoors/critters etc that other people would never be able to see.

It also doesn't hurt that my Daughter and SIL both graduated from Georgia Southern University and they both are also fairly long-term employees (17 plus years) for GSU and they are "Eagle Fans" for sure as well.

Thankfully, my Daughter and husband also still see bald eagles from time to time during their numerous fishing trips in the Claxton, Georgia area.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’ve seen a few of them. Beside the road eating road kill. They make the best of a fresh meal. Different areas are getting more. They a big beautiful bird of prey.

Toliver

Any idea what the population is in Georgia now? With the breeding programs around the state, I see them more and more frequently. The most I've seen has been on Lake Seminole.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Any idea what the population is in Georgia now? With the breeding programs around the state, I see them more and more frequently. The most I've seen has been on Lake Seminole.

Seminole has a good many. I`ve seen as many as 7 at one time down there.

greg j

I remember as a kid growing up in Michigan's U P, seeing one was rare. Now they are all over up there. They've made a great come back. I live in Carrollton, Ga and have seen them flying over Lake Carroll occasionally. I have seen them on Lake Seaton/Snake Creek reservoir.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I live near a fairly good-sized river, so I see one from the yard now and then. A couple months ago, I was out filling up the bird feeder when I looked up and one came swooping low over my head, carrying a housecat in its talons. Unfortunately, it wasn't my cat. :)

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I live near a fairly good-sized river, so I see one from the yard now and then. A couple months ago, I was out filling up the bird feeder when I looked up and one came swooping low over my head, carrying a housecat in its talons. Unfortunately, it wasn't my cat. :)
Best keep Arlo in the house.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
i was at the daytona 500 couple weeks ago, theres a big lake inside the track on the back stretch called lake llyod.....during pre-race festivities im looking around and see this huge bird coming from the lake toward our seats (we were seated high up as you could get) and i spotted something hanging from the bird, it came straight toward us...i punched my son and when it came over it was a bald eagle with about a 3lb bass in its claws....happened to quick to get any video......
There's some HUGE fish in that lake. Had 20lb. test snapped there in '91 just after toss'n a 10 pounder back.

specialk

There's some HUGE fish in that lake. Had 20lb. test snapped there in '91 just after toss'n a 10 pounder back.

DW caught this a few years back just before the 500 in Feb. can't remember the exact wt but it was 10+....lakes in the background...

1677764174906.png

sleepr71

The population is for sure expanding. They love being around water & usually nest on or around Lakes. I’m in middle GA & have seen probably 1/2 dozen in the last 20 years..almost always around a Lake. Craziest place I’ve seen one was on our farm about 20 years ago. I cleaned a cooler full of fish & threw the remnants in a “compost pile” (100yds from the house) that we use for fertilizer. Heard our dogs barking next morning..so I looked out to see what had them riled up..and a Bald Eagle was digging around in there eating those fish scraps! It spooked & never came back to my knowledge. I guess it smelled them & dropped down to search out that fish. Buddy of mine that lived in Colorado for a few years calls them “Souped up Buzzards”…because they eat so much carrion ;)